Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 11-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

my son and I own a lot of Damascus guns we shoot skeet and sporting clays twice a week and nothing looks better or turns more heads than the beautiful Damascus barrels , were always on the look out for our next gun. I know of no current maker of Damascus shotgun barrels, greener will still take special orders for Damascus guns using old stock, I wish some one would have saved parkers tubes from the scrap bin, its a dam shame, they sure look a lot nicer than them ugly blue things
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

they are pretty when redone...i wish i had each barrel steel in its origanal configuration..would nt that be a site... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Verry View Post
I don't know if there is enough time to get a new Damascus auto and burglar built before the Spring Southern but, One of Ithaca's 1922 advertisements said " With it the average person can hit objects thrown in the air easier than with the regulation shotgun fired from the shoulder."
besides the legality issues of the old auto and burglar Ithacas, the few folk I know that have actually fired one said it was not pleasant.

I will try to find the exact quote, but as some Indian prince once commented when asked about the the recoil of his Howdah pistol, his reply was to the affect of

when a tiger is on one's elephant's head, one does not mind the recoil
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

[QUOTE=Drew Hause;111475]W.W. Greener produced new shotguns with damascus barrels in 2007-2008
From http://www.wwgreener.com/Shotguns.htm
"Barrels - are made of the highest quality steel and bored to maintain the famous choke boring improvements, made by W W Greener in the 1870s, to optimise shooting performance, and to ensure patterns of shot guaranteed to meet customers' exact requirements whether for game, wildfowl or clay pigeon shooting. A few pairs of guns are being made with interchangeable steel and Damascus barrels."

Courtesy of Vic Venters (Dec. 2008), who wrote an article in the Sept/Oct '07 issue of Shooting Sportsman regarding the Greener guns:
"They are indeed newly made damascus barrels, built on vintage tubes that David Dryhurst -- Greener's master gunmaker -- has been collecting since the '60s and '70s. Some are old Greener stock, some are English and no doubt some are Belgian. A few of these sets came from Dyson...They are not lined. The guns are being made in 28-ga up through 12, and maybe in 10-ga. At least 25 of these damascus-barreled guns are made or are under way, and I believe more have been ordered since I last asked. At the time of my writing, none had failed English proof. The guns are proofed under standard CIP pressures per the particular gauge.

Most are on sidelocks; some are on reintroduced "G-Guns" -- Facile Princeps actions with Boss ejectorwork. Greeners are a small best maker -- but demand has been so great that I am told they have again closed their order books. They were the last British maker to manufacture their own damascus tubes, and are the first to again offer them in commercial quantities."[/QUOTE -

if you can find a copy of the October 2013 "The Field" (a UK magazine - Barnes and Nobles stocks it here) there is a good article and photo spread of the new Greeners
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

For anyone who has not done so, I'd highly recommend looking at Culvers website and his galleries. He does some very nice damascus work.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
For anyone who has not done so, I'd highly recommend looking at Culvers website and his galleries. He does some very nice damascus work.
link?
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

http://www.culverart.com/

Steve will be at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show next month.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

If someone made new damascus barrels and if one could afford to buy a gun so affixed, they would sell like hotcakes. I think there is a market for new shotguns that look like old ones. During most of my life (68) people shunned damascus/twist barrels as if they were a coiled rattlesnake. Today, if I see a good one, I'll buy it before a "liquid" steel barrel.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #29
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

xxxxx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5074.jpg (75.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0427.jpg (209.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0434.jpg (177.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg chaindamascus.jpg (83.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg laminated02.jpg (99.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg markedlaminated.jpg (91.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Latest gun pics 075.jpg (510.4 KB, 0 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Beautiful examples Bruce.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote