Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Barrels
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
RandallTlachac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrels

Help I am looking at a Parker barrel marked Vulcan Steel and serial number is 62XXX, this appears to be fluid steel, and the manufacture date based on the ParkerGuns.org is 1890. Is this date of manufacture correct? Would this be Whitworth steel?
RandallTlachac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,915 Times in 4,776 Posts

No, it is not Whitworth. A Vulcan Steel barrel with a 62,000 serial number would be a set of barrels retrofitted to an earlier gun. Factory built Vulcan Steel guns came later than 62,000. If you would give us the full serial number, we can tell you the exact configuration of the gun when it was originally made. The original configuration of the gun is probably Twist Steel or Damascus Steel.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
RandallTlachac
Forum Associate

Member Info

you may find this interesting, the barrel rib states "Parker Brothers Makers, Meridian Conn. Vulcan Steel". The sn on the left underside of the barrel is 64,796. It is on a gun with sn 102XXX. I have the shipping log from Parker, NY indicating the gun was ordered in early 1902 and shipped in August 1902. So the barrel was probably from another gun, but can you tell me the year of manufacture and the original configuration?
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
RandallTlachac
Forum Associate

Member Info

the number "2" is on the bottom of the lug under the barrel
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,590 Times in 3,120 Posts

First post you said 62xxx then you said 64796. So, can we guess you mean 62796 ? If that's the case......................I'll give you a moment to go and find your glasses........................... Then that gun was an 1890 Damascus barreled 12ga. D grade (DH). Now the replacement barrels, made for the DH are on some mysterious gun whose serial number ends in XXX, and presumably, the 1890 DH receiver is lost, but hopefully mated back up with it's original Damascus barrels. Have I got it right? Hopefully the xxx gun is a VH so at least the barrel legend matches the grade. Is there a V stamped on the water table? (the flat horizontal surface which mate to the barrel) the 2 stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug is the frame size.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

BTW, there's no way to tell when the Vulcan barrels were fitted to the 1890 gun, because Parker replaced barrels were marked for the gun they were made for. The Stock book for the original gun may have an entry indicating when this happened, but you would have to order a PGCA letter for the missing gun.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
RandallTlachac
Forum Associate

Member Info

With glasses on the barrel sn is 64796 .. it surely does not look like damascus. The water table is stamped with P and sn 109209. I do have a research letter which states the original order was Twist Steel. However the barrel sn would have matched the other sn in any gun issued from Parker in 1902, correct? So this barrel must have been placed on at a later date. So I am puzzled to see if a Vulcan steel barrel could have an sn of 67796 and not be damascus. Any ideas regarding this puzzle?
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Randall, When a Gun was sent back to Parker for new barrels, the new barrels would be marked with the Serial Number of the gun for which they were made.
You've now thrown in another SN, 67796, and I'm assuming it's one of the other previous two, which were both Damascus barreled guns. 62796 was a 12ga., and 64796 was a 10ga.

It would have been customary to re-barrel a gun with barrels of the type currently being supplied on a gun. Ordinarily, if a DH was sent back for steel replacement barrels, Parker would supply Titanic barrels, but for the sake of economy, the customer may have asked for Vulcan Steel barrels. You gun, a PH, would have originally had either Twist barrels, or if they were fluid steel, Parker Steel barrels. Whatever the case, your gun is made up from replacement barrels from another gun. In the end, if it locks up properly, it doesn't matter that much.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
RandallTlachac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Edgar - thank you for staying with me on this...yes the barrel is 62796 and the other gun parts are for a PH. Is there anyway to tell the year of manufacture for the barrels? During what period were Vulcan Steel barrels manufactured?
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

The VH gun, with Vulcan Steel barrels, came out just before the turn of the (20th) century, and they were made right to the end. They were, if I'm not mistaken, the first steel barrels offered. The V grade was considered an 0 grade, where the P was called grade 1.