Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

S&W S/S shotguns
Unread 08-30-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default S&W S/S shotguns

Anyone have any experience with the S/S's that S&W is making?/selling or know anything about them? Am inquiring for a friend who is considering one.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I’ve heard nothing bad from the couple people I know who own one, and they seem like a pretty good value. The exact same gun is/was? sold by Cabelas under the name Dickinson. They’re Turkish built and whatever company that wants can just slap their name on them. They were sold for a while as Webley and Scott too.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

They are AKUS guns from Turkey, one of the better outfits over there!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

As Kirk and Rick have said, the S&W Gold Elite was made by Akus in Turkey, Cabela's and a few others are now marketing them under the Dickinson Estate name. I often dreamt of owning a Parker Bros. DHE .410, but it wasn't in the budget for a gun that was going to see limited usage, so instead I bought a Dickinson Estate in .410 from Cabela's and am happy as a clam with my purchase. The Dickinson Estate and the S&W Gold Elite are made in the same factory to the same specs and are virtually identical with only a slight variation in the engraving pattern. To reuse some overused terminology -- they are a lot of gun for the money. Where else can you buy a gun that has a true trigger plate rounded action, platform lump barrels, brazed ribs, chrome lined bores, Southgate ejectors, true bone & charcoal case coloring, Turkish walnut wood, 24 lpi hand checkering, hand engraved (their description-not mine) and a lifetime warranty for under $1700 when new?

Having said the above, there have been several reports of heavy trigger pulls with the early guns, but more recently they have been lightened from the factory to a more acceptable ~ 5lb. pull weight. Also the early renditions had a high gloss finish applied to the wood that was highly susceptible in showing scratches, Cabela's recent offerings are oil finished to alleviate the issue.

Dickinson Estate .410
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little Dickins Right Side.jpg (197.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Left side of action.jpg (118.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Right side of action(1).jpg (115.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png download (8).png (459.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20160904_140917_001 - Copy.jpg (492.5 KB, 1 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

Quote:
The exact same gun is/was? sold by Cabelas under the name Dickinson. They’re Turkish built and whatever company that wants can just slap their name on them. They were sold for a while as Webley and Scott too.
Quote:
They are AKUS guns from Turkey,
So Turkey is our new Crescent Fire Arms Co.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

The Turkish gun industry is an interesting case study. Lots to debate. They have some of the best walnut for gunstocks in the world and a motivated low cost work force that can produce guns at lower price point using some of the latest gun making technology and machinery.

Handled a few S&W and they are nice guns and I think they are the base for Dickinson guns. However buying a S&W one of them would be like buying a Ruger Gold Label SxS. If you have issues with the gun just try and call S&W or Ruger. You will get a polite AMF-YOYO statement. BTW AMFYOYO stands for "Adios Mutha ------ Your On Your Own"

Several years ago an American startup of Hatfield had a high quality boxlock sxs made at Huglu where Dehaan, CZ, Kimber and some others had guns made that came from same factory. It was about a $2k gun. Remember seeing a video test of gun on their website showing gun broken down before, during and after them shooting that gun some 20,000 times straight in a 24 hour period. Gun would get so hot after about every few hundred rounds when swapping shooters they would drop gun in a barrel of water to cool it off. Then keep on shooting. After all that they then tore down gun and compared everything and looked closely at all the components including stock, fore-end, latches, actions, firing pins, safety, and most importantly the chrome lined barrels and found little noticeable wear. They put it back together and then did the same thing again firing almost 40k rounds in two days with no reported issues. I thought it pretty gutsy demonstration and thought about getting one until company went belly up, but it did give me confidence in Dehaan and CZ guns. I know Kimber had some issues at first with their venture but understood they got it worked out with guns but they just never took off.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have been shooting a Mark DeHaan Custom .410 for thirteen years now. These guns were built in the Huglu custom shop, and the wood is screaming good, and with a SSBP! I put about four flats a year through it, and it has never missed a beat!
Unread 08-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
I have been shooting a Mark DeHaan Custom .410 for thirteen years now. These guns were built in the Huglu custom shop, and the wood is screaming good, and with a SSBP! I put about four flats a year through it, and it has never missed a beat!
Here she is after doin her job one day last fall!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B9C311D-403A-4201-9F4B-D695C4473520.jpg (534.7 KB, 16 views)
Unread 08-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

sounds like a good gun for the money a nice gun too...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2018, 07:18 AM   #10
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
So Turkey is our new Crescent Fire Arms Co.
It would appear so, too bad it isnt cost effective to do something like they do here in the states!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post: