Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Anyone have experience shipping gun from Canada to USA for repair?
Unread 10-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Arne Langston
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Anyone have experience shipping gun from Canada to USA for repair?

Was hoping to ship a shotgun from Western Canada to DelGrego & Son to have fore end lug soldered, appraisal, and minor cleaning.

Telephoned DelGrego's and they were very kind; however, it does not sound like shipping repaired guns back to Canada is a common task for them. I believe the representative I talked to said they had difficulty last time they did this. They had to drive for 4.5 hours to some other location/business to get the gun shipped back to Canada. It was not an easy process that they really are not set up for, and they were not certain if the same method would be permitted again. Last thing they and I want is for the gun to be stranded in a Customs office somewhere. They indicated I would have to get all the return shipping process figured out in advance for them. Fair enough.

Insurance appears to be a problem as well as the shippers (couriers) seem to place a low ($5,000 limit) ceiling on insurance you can purchase. Anyone have any experience on insurance cost and maximums to ship via Fedex, Loomis etc?

Checked home owners insurance they won't insure in case of a courier losing a package.

If someone has had success sending a shotgun to Del Gregos for repair from Canada and got it back please let me know your secrets.

Failing that (alternately), do folks know of a Canadian gunsmith that would be a Northern equivalent to Del Grego for Parker repair and appraisal purposes?
arne Langston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Contact Nick Makinson, 519-471-5402 in Komoka, Ontario. He advertises for cross-border transfers for repair work pickup and delivery thru customs, etc. necessary to get guns into and out of the US to Canada.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Probably easier and about the same price to fly there with the gun in hand. I've had two bad experiences with guns I've bought in Canada.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
Don Strelioff
Forum Associate

Member Info

U must use a dealer here in Canada with a impoter expotor permitt and they must ship it to a dealerr in the us with s ffl licence . Profit river in Lloydminister is licenced to do it . Very expensive prossess

Last edited by Don Strelioff; 10-04-2015 at 07:25 AM..
Don Strelioff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne Langston View Post
Failing that (alternately), do folks know of a Canadian gunsmith that would be a Northern equivalent to Del Grego for Parker repair and appraisal purposes?
Last I knew, Makinson did very good work himself. And could certainly address all your needs. Why not just send it to Ontario? Del Grego won't mind.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Prophet River doesn't do export, but they do import. I thought there was an exemption for guns sent directly to and from a gunsmith? You don't need an export permit for temporary unless it is prohibited. I'd contact the Canadian Firearms Center for more info and the U.S. government for their requirements. What you need done doesn't sound too complicated and there are Canadian gunsmiths who are more than capable. The appraisal should be done in Canada anyway. Depending on the grade the number you'll get from a U.S. appraisal will be quite different than a Canadian appraisal.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Any good double gunsmith that is in Canada should be able to handle the things that you need done. No need to incur the additinal cost shipping it stateside.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Interesting thread for sure ,here's wishing you the best on your project
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,947 Times in 1,437 Posts

There is no need to ship your gun to the US. You have the finst Parker gunsmiths in your back yard. Chris Dawe has done a dozen guns for me and is definitly top shelf. Complete restock on two Parker's. Wood refinish and checkering as well as repairs on many others. Feel free to call me 520-975-0830. I Can share photos as well as discuss the work Chris has performed. Chris is a humble guy, his work speaks for itself.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

I'll second that. I'm just surprised that it took so long to see one of the best is in your own back yard. Chris is a true craftsman who is so conscientious, it may be his only fault
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post: