Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Hello.
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Cal Genereux
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Hello.

Good evening fellow shotgun lovers. I have been around Shotguns since I was born and have always had a fondness for doubles. Can't shoot one worth beans but have always like them. I have recently begun to try to collect some older firearms and Parkers have caught my eye. I currently have a Greener and LC Smith, but am looking to add a Parker. The gun I have my eye on is a VH 16ga. BTFE with double triggers. The seller is asking about $1600. I'm not looking for comments on the price, just what should I look for in this particular gun. What frame sizes, bbl. lengths, chokes, stock dimensions etc. will have and hold the greatest value? What are common flaws to look out for? I've read that cracks/breaks in the wrist were common, this particular gun has a pin through the wrist (professionally done) that appears to be preventative in nature as I can see no cracks or damage to the wrist. The stocks may have been refinished at the same time. What does this do to the value of the gun? Any other comments on what I should look for are welcome. I don't have a serial number to add. I am a member of many forums, I look forward to being a member here and offering advice or encouragement whenever I can. Thank you for having me.

I thank you in advance for any comments and suggestions presented.
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,334 Times in 12,401 Posts

Why not show us a lot of pictures of the gun in question and you will get a number of opinions..... not necessarily to find fault with the gun but only to help keep you from possibly making a costly mistake if the gun has serious flaws or problems.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Cal Genereux
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have found another beautiful GH that causes me to ask another question. What does refurbishing (professionally) do to the value? I assume it is no longer a collector piece but instead a "shooter". The gun in question is located at vintagedoubles.com, gun #2591, located under the boxlock heading. I am told by the proprietor that the gun has had both the stocks and frame professionally refurbished. To my untrained eye the gun looks stunning. I thought it looked much too good for the price, that was why I asked. So, someone please tell me, is this a case where I just have to decide whether I want a shooter or a collector? Honestly, I have no intention of shooting whatever I decide upon, I just wish to own a beautiful piece of American history, something to pass down to following generations. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me decide what to do.....

Last edited by Cal Genereux; 03-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: correct model
Cal Genereux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The proprietor of Vintage Doubles, Jay Shachter, knows his Parkers and knows their values. A price tag with that kind of number on it indicates to me that he knows there is something 'less than desirable' with it and he had priced it accordingly. A telephone call to Jay might reveal just what it is about the gun that would indicate such a price. Ask some very candid yet pointed questions and Jay may be candid enough to tell you why he priced it that way.

When buying a gun it is almost always best to have it in hand for a full inspection.
Unread 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Cal Genereux
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The proprietor of Vintage Doubles, Jay Shachter, knows his Parkers and knows their values. A price tag with that kind of number on it indicates to me that he knows there is something 'less than desirable' with it and he had priced it accordingly. A telephone call to Jay might reveal just what it is about the gun that would indicate such a price. Ask some very candid yet pointed questions and Jay may be candid enough to tell you why he priced it that way.

When buying a gun it is almost always best to have it in hand for a full inspection.
Thank you again for your sage advice. The gentleman I spoke with (Mr. Kirby Hoyt) told me the gun was on a #2 frame, the bores were bright but there were a few places of very light frosting. I'm beginning to lean toward an original gun that may not be as "pretty" and away from this one. There are two VH's on Gunbroker, owned by the same person, that are within driving distance of me. I may take a road trip this weekend and come home with a VH. Thank you again and wish me luck!
Unread 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

My mistake....

Jay is the proprietor of Vintage Firearms Inc. - not Vintage Doubles.

But the same can be said of Kirby Hoyt. He has been around fine guns for a long, long time and knows whereof he speaks.

Dean