Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 09-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,013 Times in 569 Posts

The rim cut in the chamber may not be deep enough. The brass of the shell then fits too tight against the standing breach when gun is closed.
Take barrels off. Put shells in each chamber with ejector rods recessed all the way.
Brass should not extend beyond breach end of barrels. I use a steel straight edge to check.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Charles Dawley
Forum Associate

Member Info

New shells fall cleanly into chambers. I do notice that the ejectors do not line up perfectly with the rim on the barrel, seemingly holding the brass up a bit higher on the face on the top and outer side. I will have to check other doubles to see if they are all built this way
Charles Dawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,360 Times in 12,409 Posts

Yup Bob, that's the technical version of what I was trying to explain.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
parker gunsmith
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Charles Dawley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default parker gunsmith

When I checked one of my Arrietta's this morning, the grooves in the ejectors line up perfectly with the grooves in the barrel, allowing the shell to sit flat....could it be that the ejectors on the parker need some adjustment to sit flatter and make the grooves consistent all the way around? I hope I am being clear...essentially it appears the ejectors sit a bit higher then the rest of the barrel, holding the brass head higher then it should.
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Does the gun close hard with empty chambers?
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Charles Dawley
Forum Associate

Member Info

No more then one would expect with a new gun. It is stiff opening and closing. I have only shot a couple of boxes through it since I bought it. As noted, the extractors seem to sit a bit high and this does result in the grooves designed to hold the brass not matching which causes the brass to sit higher then the edge of the barrels on the outside and top. Out of the 2-3 boxes I have shot through it, the lock up has occurred on only two occasions...both with reloads
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Dawley For Your Post:
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,637 Times in 994 Posts

What hull were you using for the reloads? I've experienced hard opening and closing of one of my 28-ga. Repros with Estate hulls. I attributed it to being too thick of a rim on the Estate hulls. Never have had a problem with Winchester AA or Remington STS hulls.
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Charles Dawley
Forum Associate

Member Info

These were new Multihulls from Ballistic Products. They have generally worked well for me. I agree, the AA and STS hulls are great and I use a lot of them that I buy once fired. I believe the first time it locked up it was a reload with a hull out of Europe, though I can not recall the brand at this time.
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charles,
I just checked a Repro I have with me and the ejectors fit flush with barrels. They can't extend beyond the breach end of the barrels or they would obstruct closing.
The last little 1/16" of ejector retraction many times is very tight. Push hard.
Bob Jurewicz
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Charles Dawley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bob: I did as you suggested....took a bit of pressure, particularly on one set of barrels, but the ejectors now sit flush and so does the brass. I then went and sprayed gun stripper on the ejector rods, ran them back and forth and then oiled. They now move freely. Hopefully this fixes the situation....I will take them back up north with me this weekend and find out. From what I understand, the two barrel set (with two forends) was one of five bought by a service man stationed in japan as an investment and never fired. When I first received it from the seller (Roger Bains) the triggers were slow moving....I sent it back for a check up and his gunsmith cleaned out all the grease put in it at time of manufacture and they now work well....could be that was what was holding up the ejectors as well. Charlie