Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New member, new gun
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Default New member, new gun

Hello everyone, Garth Gustafson here, I’m a new member from the Chicago area. About a month ago I bought my first Parker and became a proud custodian of #176236 a VH 16 ga O frame with 28” barrels made in 1917. At some point, this gun was completely refinished, stock and forend re-checkered, barrels re-blued and new case colors. No record of who did the work but whoever did it did a very nice job. I absolutely love this gun.

I’ve wanted a Parker since I first lifted one at Goose Hummock in Orleans, Mass. I was 16 and that was a long time ago. Good things in life are worth waiting for.

Right after I bought her I took her back to Conn. over Thanksgiving and we had some fun. We gave her a lot of exercise and went through 2 cases of clays. I followed your advice and shot 2-1/2” vintage loads. The gun did great. I didn’t do so hot but that’s ok, with more practice, my swing should improve.

Well with that workout, the screw holding the trigger guard loosened up and the screw wouldn’t bite. I debated doing that simple repair myself but in the end I decided not to trust USPS and drove the 200 miles to Grand Rapids in a snowstorm to have it done right. My wife says I’m the one with the loose screw. This VH has become a magnificent obsession.

I want to thank you guys for providing an outstanding forum and for being so generous in sharing your expertise. I’ve been reading your stuff since the spring and personally it has given me enough basic knowledge and confidence to purchase a Parker over the internet, something I was extremely reluctant to do. In fact, if it wasn’t for this forum, I would probably have bought a Parker repro and missed out on owning one of the great examples of American exceptionalism, made in Meriden, Conn, USA, the city where I was born.

Here are some pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1630.jpg (489.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.jpg (507.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.jpg (492.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.jpg (489.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.jpg (493.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1649.jpg (492.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.jpg (493.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1659.jpg (493.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1656.jpg (489.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1667.jpg (476.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1660.jpg (510.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1675.jpg (489.4 KB, 4 views)
Garth Gustafson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello Garth and WELCOME ABOARD ! You have come to the right place for good Fellowship and Brotherhood of the Parker Gun ! These are a Great group of Guys and Gals and always more than helpful with good advice and knowledge of all things Parker ! The one thing I can guarantee ,once you get a good case of Parkeritis ,you can't stop at just one they are more addicting than Potato Chips ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful gun and a great gauge for all game ! I had to edit this post ,I wanted to ask about your Pup She's beautiful ! Best ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Garth,

Welcome aboard the PGCA! You VH may be a DelGrego restoration. I state this because for the cyanide case colors which look like those of the DelGregos and also what looks to be a buff line at the bottom of the breach ball in photo #5.

Whoever did the restoration it seems that you are happy and that is what counts!

I also go to Grand Rapids for my gunsmithing needs. Brad Bachelder does mine as I assume he does yours. If fact I picked up a couple Foxes yesterday before joining our C.O.B. at the Haymarsh hunt club for a Dr. Zhivago-esque pheasant hunt. Also, Brad and I occasionally do tower shoots and field hunts at Fruit Ridge. Both of these clubs are north of Grand Rapids. Hopefully you can join us sometime!

PS: Thanks for the great photos!

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

That looks like a O frame, which makes it even nicer. You will love this forum, and the people will go out of their way to help you with any questions.
What kind of dog is that?
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

I ask of the Pup in my thread also Harold but we haven't heard back yet ,She's a Beauty ,I suspect a Springer ,I had one years ago ,just about a twin !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Hi guys, thanks for the warm reception. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the group and I would sure enjoy some shooting and fellowship. That's Teddy, my springer spaniel. I took those pictures yesterday. He's sporting a non-traditional springer cut as its easier to keep him clean & groomed that way. He's a devoted family dog, just turned 11 and happily he's in great shape. Only thing is, he isn't is a gun dog. Although he loves the woods, Teddy turns into a quivering bowl of jello at the first sound of thunder, fireworks, and gunshots. I think I'll fix that with my next springer.
Garth Gustafson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

For your next dog, look for a Springer out of field trial breeding. There is a big difference between field bred, and show bred dogs in Springerdom
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post: