Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
Jeff Higgins
PGCA Member

Member Info

You can not place a dollar amount on sentimental value. For a 12 gauge VH to be worth that much it would have to be in really nice shape. With alot of case colors showing and the rest of the gun in almost unused condition. I would probably get off a few Christmas card lists if I sold family members $1000.00 dollar shotguns for $2000.00. But this happens all the time in the store. Someone brings in Grandpas old gun that for years they have been told was worth a gazillion dollars and I have to be the bad guy when I burst there bubble. Just compare it to the guns you see for sale on the gun auction sites that are similar to yours. But even then it is best to check completed sales, some of those guns have been for sale for a long time.
Jeff Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Higgins For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,483 Times in 1,337 Posts

IMHO buying a “Family” gun is not like buying any other guns. There are factors beyond, “Is the gun worth what I’m paying”. In your case consider the relationship you have with your cousin. Also, you’ve stated you want to keep the gun in the family, so you aren’t going to sell it to make a buck. Will $2000 put a strain on your financial situation? If not, and you are close to your cousin and want his gun to be handed down then buy the gun on one condition. He writes down everything he can remember about buying it and using it. Keep that history with the gun. The worst that can happen is you get a few hundred dollars upside down. But, where else can you buy a Parker that was owned by your cousin?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 08-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Tom Black
Forum Associate

Member Info

All points well taken. As much as I'd like to see it stay in the family I won't give way more than it's worth. I'll probably see him the end of the week and go from there. Let ya know what happens. Thanks again.
Tom
Tom Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a hard time trading $1200 out of a very nice one awhile back. But that being said I have and use one that is well used but not abused that I doubt would bring more than $800. I may have as much as $1500 in it Years ago things were different before internet choices were fewer. No regrets about having that much in it because it fits me very well. That is worth a lot in my opinion. If you can shoot it that would help you decide. If does't shoot good for me then I'm not real happy. Hopes this helps. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,432 Times in 605 Posts

Just a suggestion, if you have a few dealers in your area ask your cousin to go with you and listen to their offers. Average them and offer 2-4 hundred more. He will see the guns value in todays market and that you are offering a premium over that. Fair to both party's. I did that with my hunting partners guns when he passed by having a neutral appraisal picked by his brother, with the brother present then wrote the check to the widow.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,286 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Just a suggestion, if you have a few dealers in your area ask your cousin to go with you and listen to their offers. Average them and offer 2-4 hundred more. He will see the guns value in todays market and that you are offering a premium over that. Fair to both party's. I did that with my hunting partners guns when he passed by having a neutral appraisal picked by his brother, with the brother present then wrote the check to the widow.
King Solomon could not have said it better
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,432 Times in 605 Posts

I don't know what to say,except thank you.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,032 Posts

One of the greatest benefits of this forum is the number of times that "clearer heads prevail".
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote