Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Charlie: If you are ever in the neighborhood, we can each have a pie. Life's too short for slices
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #42
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,558 Posts

When my Mom would make a meringue pie, she would keep all the egg yolks, put them in a glass with a spoonful of sugar, mix it up and I would ddrriinnkk it down. Salmonella? Not back then, apparently
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #43
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Our immune systems were so much tougher before advertisers showed all those scary animations of "germs" to sell "sterilize your world" products.

The big surprise for me with my first lemon pie was learning that it is the egg yolk that creates the color of the pie filling. Silly me thought it was the lemons.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #44
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
jack those are really good pictures..arnt we the lucky ones that get to see such sights... i really like the old grreen head...do you have a photo of a red head..only seen one in my life not to many of them in north miss... charlie
Charlie: Red Head ducks aren't normally around here in great numbers. This is a very different year. It is so wet and so much more available wetlands for the ducks/geese that I am seeing more and more species in numbers well beyond the norm. I have even seen four snow geese. I only see them during migration by the millions but never during mating season. Not sure if these four are just smarter than the millions or if they are just lazy or first go round and couldn't wait any longer.

Here are some recent shots from the past few days. I find "in flight" tough shots. Far tougher with the camera than the Parker. The Red Head flock is about 400 yards. I would put the mallard "touch down" around 200 yards, as well as the three RedHeads in flight. The swimming RedHead pair is about 100 yards. Any nice in flight shots are 50-60 yards. I shoot a lot for a decent pic but when there is a good one, I enjoy it.

Now I know where the RedHeads are in a flock, maybe I can find where they feed and then intercept them along the way for some in flight entertainment.

Last pic is CHARLIE still believing in possibilities. She swam a long way and the blue bill just putzed along in front. When she came to shore, I think some of the liquid she shook off was sweat. I haven't bothered to shoot migratory ever since the lead shot ban. I did have the barrel on the SKB semi opened up for steel, just in case I ever wanted to bother. CHARLIE thinks I should bother

Cheers,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redheads 1.jpg (272.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg redheads 2.jpg (396.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg redheads 3.jpg (330.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg redheads 4.jpg (310.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg touchdown.jpg (481.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg liftoff.jpg (484.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg liftoff2.jpg (456.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg in flight.jpg (249.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg charlie.jpg (181.3 KB, 6 views)
Unread 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #45
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

simply beautiful jack...i never get bored as my grand daughter says looking at ducks..there coloring is beyond words...i too have not hunted ducks for a long while..ive killed a few hunting other things in the past years but no serios hunting..i start out each year to go duck hunting but have not got there as of yet... thanks charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #46
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Very nice pics there Pops. If you do half as well with a Parker as you do with the camera then I don't have to worry about you going hungry.

I love to watch waterfowl but I haven't hunted them since the lead shot ban either. We would get some Red Heads in Manitoba each fall. The Grouse hunting along with the Huns is what I was after most. I had a GSP named Sturm and his first ever point was on a Hun in Manitoba.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #47
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yep, I favor upland birds as well. If it took me as many shotshells to get one duck as it does clicks of the shutter to get one good duck image, the cost per pound of duck meat would be beyond reach. But I do get to amuse myself year round this way.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #48
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I never really cared for the taste of waterfowl and only hunted them when someone was along that would use them. The only upland bird I couldn't eat was a Sharptail I shot in The Pas northern Maintoba. Even the Black Lab wouldn't eat the thing. Never shot another one.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #49
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Both are pretty heavy dark meat. Should you happen to ever shoot another sharptail or have any dark meat fowl, try this recipe. You might change your mind.
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #50
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,623 Times in 990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Charlie: Red Head ducks aren't normally around here in great numbers. This is a very different year. It is so wet and so much more available wetlands for the ducks/geese that I am seeing more and more species in numbers well beyond the norm. I have even seen four snow geese. I only see them during migration by the millions but never during mating season. Not sure if these four are just smarter than the millions or if they are just lazy or first go round and couldn't wait any longer.

Here are some recent shots from the past few days. I find "in flight" tough shots. Far tougher with the camera than the Parker. The Red Head flock is about 400 yards. I would put the mallard "touch down" around 200 yards, as well as the three RedHeads in flight. The swimming RedHead pair is about 100 yards. Any nice in flight shots are 50-60 yards. I shoot a lot for a decent pic but when there is a good one, I enjoy it.

Now I know where the RedHeads are in a flock, maybe I can find where they feed and then intercept them along the way for some in flight entertainment.

Last pic is CHARLIE still believing in possibilities. She swam a long way and the blue bill just putzed along in front. When she came to shore, I think some of the liquid she shook off was sweat. I haven't bothered to shoot migratory ever since the lead shot ban. I did have the barrel on the SKB semi opened up for steel, just in case I ever wanted to bother. CHARLIE thinks I should bother

Cheers,
Jack
No big deal, but the only Red Head ducks are the three in flight, the flocks of "Red Heads" on the water and the swimming pair with the Ruddy drake are really Canvasbacks.