Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 01-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #41
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

c.o.b.
I am in Kalkaska Michigan, the garmin also has a place on the unit so you can tell how much battery you have left. There are still things on that unit I have not figured out. The important ones are the toner, the shocker, it beeps when dog is on point, a compass that shows the direction the dog is and how many yards away plus its a compass. You can mark your truck location, it shows how many miles your dog runs each hunt. There are many more that I have not figured out yet. It cost about 900 dollars, but it was worth the piece of mind. I own kalkaska glass and northern michigan firewood products, we are 1.5 miles north of the light in kalkaska on u.s. 131, you have to take the side street to get in our drive. Any members in the forum are welcome to stop and say hello. When we lost our brittany, it was spring a little snow on the ground, cash was hunting, a grouse went up, I called him over so he could smell where the bird was. (this was before the first season he hunted) I just wanted him to smell a grouse, he ran inbetween 2 good size pine trees, by the time I walked around them he was gone. My friend fred who has been teaching me about hunting with a brittany came right over, my wife and her girlfriend came over. We formed a plan, my wife went down a seasonal road with window down calling our dogs name, she sat up on the door with her legs inside, sitting up on the window sill and her head and body outside yelling frantically. Cash came back, she slid back in on the seat, cash jumped through the open window to get to her. He was so scared, he licked her, and was shaking like a leaf. Like I said I got the garmin next day.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #42
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Ed, I like your "happy ending!"
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #43
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

c.o.b. Collar clinic is in traverse city which is about 30 minutes from me, we went in the next morning. The guy went over the whole unit with my wife ( I am illiterate on most mobile devices The collar clinic is in most bird dog type magazine advertising. If your in the area, it is helpful to go in so they can explain the most basic functions at least. It took me a long time and like I said there are many more things I don't know yet.
Unread 01-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #44
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

A friend, who was grouse hunting, slipped, fell,and cracked his head. Paralyzed, he lay on the ground until he heard another hunting group approaching with a dog's bell.. He began to hollar, and the other group found him. Turns out, the other hunters were an ER doc and an EMT. What are the odds? They handled him properly and he's back up again, altho he's had to give up grouse hunting. He's trying to sell the gun he was carrying that day. Anyone need a M1100 28 gauge?
Unread 01-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #45
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

My son in Florida has a 6 month old GSP “Oscar” that I fell in love with over a Christmas visit. He plans on quail hunting him down there in the winter and wants me to bring him up north for grouse and woodcock in the early fall. I have always ran a bell and beeper with my DD, but I think for Oscar we will run a bell and I will most likely break down and get him a garmin gps collar. They have awesome features, and I will have the peace of mind that I won’t loose him when We are up in northern Michigan.
Unread 01-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #46
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

BigD,
I think your guy was really fortunate, good for him. A friend of mine took his year old brittany out in 2016, opening day, he fell and broke his leg and had to drag himself back to his car. Heff, are you hunting in the upper peninsula, or northern lower? I am in Kalkaska.
Unread 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #47
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hello Ed,
I live in Ohio, but hunt in and around the Lewiston area. My long time hunting buddy has a nice place up there and we are up nearly every weekend during the season.

Chad Hefflinger
Unread 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #48
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

ED I'm in Mt Pleasant and am familiar with the Collar Clinic. My Dogtra two dog collar came from them. It's due for a rebuild and I'll get that done closer to bird season. It will be a spare collar. I talked to them over the phone but as I'm technology challenged I'll make a trip up there.

John your friend was lucky, very lucky. A shooting buddy from Marquette fell in his driveway going to get the mail. He was knocked unconscious and froze to death.
Unread 01-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #49
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Heff - Lewiston is about 20 minutes north of our cabin. If you haven't tried it, try the "Villager" for Breakfast, and obviously Tally's for a burger and beer. The Lewiston Sportsman's League is a great sporting clays course. I also organize a fundraiser shoot in the latter part of August for a Conservancy which I serve on. I will post a notice here as we get closer to the date
Unread 01-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #50
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Heff and c.o.b. and big D, if your ever over my way, please contact me. BigD, I just realized who you are Thanks for all your help and phone calls, I would like to come over to the sporting clays you have in lewiston sometime. When I get a sxs, I will contact you. Since I haven't hunted in 40 years, I bet I will get a few spots