Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New to me semi project CHE
Unread 07-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default New to me semi project CHE

Well, ignoring the advice of one Ed Muderlack in his writings, I paid the premium to acquire my first Parker model with an E on the end. I typically agree with Mr. Muderlack regarding paying a premium for that E when it is easier to collect your shells without it, but this opportunity presented itself and there you have it.

Acquired this fine 12 ga from Patrick, and it is a nice CHE in my opinion. Has the small matter of attending to the buttstock issue and getting a Silvers pad back on it rather than that ugly ventilated recoil pad, but all in all a nice gun. Barrels are in nice shape, bluing isn't perfect but for now it doesn't bother me. Maybe long term it will get reblued, who knows. Its a 2 frame weighing in at 7lbs 15 oz, and while not as big as either of my 3 frame barrels, it does have some nice swamping to it. It was ordered by the Seattle Hardware Company in Seattle in 1904, and requested that it have ejectors, a silvers pad, and lyman sights with a LOP of 15". Some short armed wimp decided to alter that for a recoil pad.....

I really am a fan of the quality and condition of the engraving on this gun. It isn't anything dynamically different from Ds in many ways, but is better executed and seems to be somewhat deeper. If you really get into detailed comparing with a contemporary DH, the differences become more pronounced.

Anyway, the break at the wrist seems to be well repaired and solid, but the crack is still visible and there is glue in some of the checkering. I have been told it can be repaired, and I have also had some hesitance to work on a repair that has already been made. So we shall see what can be accomplished. I really have no wish or desire to replace this original stock. Its a well balanced old girl and for weighing in at 7lbs 15 oz with 30 inch barrels it seems a bit heftier than I would expect, but like I said it is well balanced.

Anyway, another project to mess with/occupy myself with.

Unread 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Any advice on the ability to repair the stock? I am waiting for a response from a few people I have read reccomended over the years.
Unread 07-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

fine gun you have there as you said the engraving just stands out...you got a keeper for sure...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #4
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Dan Wolf in Waco Tx, is a magician on stocks like that. He just sis a VH O frame 20 for me that had 9 compound fractures in the wrist. You cannot tell it is repaired, and I asked him to “keep the honest wear” on the gun....flawless....expensive....but flawless!
Unread 07-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

It's all up to you, but...

It seems the "repair" is holding well. Thus, it's a matter of cosmetics. For that, Bachelder or The Stock Doctor are superb choices. They may also be able to give you a professional assessment of the bodgered "fix."
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

It was kind of a sloppy job, But if they used glass bedding compound, it will probably hold. The checkering can be fixed. A person skilled in checkering can work the pattern to the same depth overall and even checker over the compound. Applying "patina" over the recut pattern will make the compound dissappear.

If it was my gun, I would drill a hole length wise under the end of the tang and through the grip. I would fill the oversize long bolt hole with acra-glass compound and put the bolt in. That way you would know for sure that the fix is not going to break again. I would do this because I wouldn't trust the work of anyone who would leave that mess on the gun. The good news is that it is a mistake that can be easily fixed and made right. Nice gun.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Dave Wolf, Waco, TX?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I like it. The more you hear and read about C's, the more you appreciate them. That gun has some really nice engraving. A great project, please send pics as it progresses.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Che
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Che

I think you scored on a nice C. I have had numerous transactions with Patrick and he is an outstanding member of our organization. Always fair and shows all the flaws on his sale items. I think you have been given sound advice on restoring that baby.She will clean up to be a fine prized piece. Very nice wood and engraving. I've owned 2 CH guns and for some reason I have not held on to them. That's part of the disease !!!!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah, I just always thought the first thing I would buy from Patrick would have been a gun case lol.

I believe it was Mr. Murphy who said that there is always a nicer Parker out there.