Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #71
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I dropped Mills off at school and, as I was walking away, he was telling his teacher he went turkey hunting this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (535.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (535.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (559.1 KB, 1 views)
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #72
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I dropped Mills off at school and, as I was walking away, he was telling his teacher he went turkey hunting this weekend.
It's one of the most optimistic things I can imagine to hear of a young person who recounts a hunting trip as one of the most meaningful things in his life. I sure hope his teacher understood this and responded well.

Mills, I don't know you, but I hope you and your grandson have many wonderful hunts together in the future. Thanks for taking him, even if it is among (what I am sure is) the easiest and most natural things for you to do. I know it must be a blessing for you to pass on the tradition of hunting and guns to him, but it's still something the rest of us appreciate.

Good hunting!!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #73
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks Gary! Fortunately both of my sons enjoy hunting with me.
Unread 05-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #74
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Thanks Gary! Fortunately both of my sons enjoy hunting with me.
Oops! I said grandson, thinking you were as old as most of the rest of us -- my apologies. I guess, then, I'm even more optimistic as there are parts of two more generations after mine that will value hunting with fine double guns. Thanks for your tolerance of an "older" hunter.
Unread 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #75
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

No problem.
Unread 05-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #76
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

I went Saturday and was headed to another destination but decided to stop at my grandpa's farm which I own now. I said I'd listen for a minute and go on. As soon as I opened the door a gobbler was red hot. Sounded like he was behind my home place so I moved the truck and got out as soon as I could. He was right where I left. Got as close as I could and scared the hen out of the tree. He gobbled still for thirty minutes, and I knew I had him. But he flew down and gobbled going away, apparently to the hen. He finally shut up when he found her. I guessed he was going to a hay field. Went there but no luck. So I decided I would come back late morning after the hen(s) left him.

About 11 my phone rang with a number I did not know. A notorious turkey hunter told me the gobbler was in the bigger hay field with a hen, and wanted to know if he and his grandson, a distant relative could try to kill him. What bad luck. If I had not answered that call. If I had not left there. Anyway how do you turn down a fifteen year old turkey hunter. I made sure he was going to let his grandson shoot and gave permission. It was an easy sneak since the gobbler was next to the interstate highway and noise sneaking up close would not be a factor. Just what I had planned to do.

The phone rang after hunting time ended and the grandpa said the young hunter wanted to talk to me. He thanked me for letting him kill my ace in the hole gobbler I had been saving all spring season. The bird weighed twenty-one pounds! He'll never forget that one as it only took a few calls and the bird came right into him. That could have been me but better for a fifteen year old. I'm at the end of my hunting but he is just beginning and is a good kid and a die-hard hunter already. He said it was forty yards with his Benelli Black Eagle. His second bird for the year and his first one was reported to me to be a twenty-six pounder!
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #77
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mills sons love to follow him around. The one made every step Mills made at The Southern and as far as I know never said anything negative, he shook every bodies hand that stuck theirs out. I’m a big fan!
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #78
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Jerry thats one heck of a sacrifice and kind thing to do. You helped to make a wonderful impression and memory for that young man not to mention Grandpa. Thank you.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #79
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jerry you got it right. To you it may be just another turkey. Albeit though taking that bird on the old home place would be something special for you as well. Either way I think you made a wise personal sacrifice that will hopefully pay forward with interest.

I hope you still get your bird but even if you don't this season that alone I would say still qualifies as having a successful season. If you weren't already I'd say you are now a favored nation status to a couple of fellow turkey hunters.

Btw next time you see that young man, tell him he has to take his next bird on the old home place with a SXS. That will make his head spin. You can call it the SXS hunt club.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 05-08-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #80
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
What bad luck. If I had not answered that call. If I had not left there.
Jerry,

Seems to me there was a great deal of good "luck" involved here. That young man and his father were lucky to know you(!)

You are laying treasures away...
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: