Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What is your pigeon gun?
Unread 06-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Default What is your pigeon gun?

I did'nt want to hijack Frank's thread about pigeon guns but I've been thinking what gun that you own, Parker or other, would you take to a pigeon shoot if you were invited?

I shoot both Columbaire (hand thrown) and box birds. For the former I shoot a DHE Parker12, 28" LM/F, and for box birds VHE 12 32" F/F double trap. Both have safeties which are non-auto. 7 1/2" all the way.

How about you?
Unread 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I have only two 12 gauge Parkers that I shoot well enough to attempt at pigeon games.

One is a 1899 DH with 30" Titanic Steel barrels choked IM/IM (.033" & .034")

The other is a 1933 GH with 30" PSS barrels choked F/F (.042" & .043")

Both are DT, CPG, 2 3/4" DAH, 14 1/8" LOP, SpFE.

Though, truth be told, I have never shot live birds in competition.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have shot quite a bit of hand-thrown birds, and somewhat less box birds. For the most part, i shot a Superposed Lightning, w 32” Broadway Trap barrels, choked light modified bottom and light full top. Ejectors wouldnt work with the trap barrels. I have no idea what the stock dimensions were other than LOP which was a scosch under 15”, but also pretty high. It had a gorgeous white line pad. The non automatic safety had a tiny hole drilled in the safety tab (by me), and a pretty little hex head set screw installed, fixing the safety in the off/under position. Guess the gun weighed just under 8 lbs. and was a tad barrel heavy.
Unread 06-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

I just got mine at the beginning of this year as it was being restored by Brad Bachelder, it is a Greener Pigeon grade gun with 30" M/F Damascus barrels with a non auto safety. The gun when I got it was a mess, some idiot had cut the stock comb to put an adjustable comb (with polished chrome rods) on it, a Morgan full adjustable aluminum recoil pad with recoil reducer in the stock, a beavertail forend that looked like a two by four, and oh I almost forgot, he "Hot Blued" the barrels! Two years later after Brad got it, it is one beautiful gun. I didn't get to shoot it at the Medford pigeon ring as we got rained out but did shoot it on the 5 stand and it preformed well. It's a neat gun that I was glad to be able to save.
I have never shot live pigeons, but it's something I would like to try someday.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

My dedicated live pigeon gun for box birds is a PHE Trap with 30" full and full barrels, vent rib, and a crossover stock and splinter forend. My Columbaire gun is the same PHE with 26" IC and IM barrels. This is a Pennsylvania gun with the standard issue Miller trigger in the front position.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You are right Bill, Howard Miller was a fixture at many of the PA. shoots and many of the shooters wanted the reliable Miller trigger installed often non-selective.
Unread 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,243 Times in 1,201 Posts

Thanks Daryl for starting a separate thread focused on modern live bird shooting. I don't own a suitable 12-gauge Parker but I'll offer this up ….. to be competitive and not waste your money in a very expensive sport where still legal, I think that Parker needs to be dynamic but with enough weight to buffer heavy recoil, perhaps around 8 pounds. Also it should shoot a bit high maybe 60/40, and its owner must be OK with sustained shooting of traditional 1-1/4 ounce high velocity pigeon loads like the old AA Super Pigeon without having to worry about being kind to old dry wood, etc. Nowadays many shooters will be using even higher velocity "high brass" 1-1/4 ounce loads (1330 fps) in their guns. I'm talking here about getting invited to organized live box bird shoots with high cost birds, high stakes and the Calcuttas. And even if you have that Parker and think you're a good clays/hunting shot, get ready to get your clock cleaned when regular pigeon shooting gents like "Lxxx" show up from Portugal etc.

frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Interesting thread, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have a BHE 12 with 30 inch Damascus barrels, straight stock, splinter with a Monte Carlo stock (factory by the way) no safety. She shoots a tad high and is choked over .040 in both barrels. Another is a Fox CE also a straight grip 32 inch choked .037 in each tube. I just sold a DH straight grip no safety 32 inch gun with a flat rib at the Southern. It was choked .047 in each tube. I'm currently playing with a DHE straight grip with 34 inch barrels choked .047 each barrel. It's a dynamic gun considering the barrel length.
Unread 06-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You may not have a suitable Parker for the task Frank but I'm sure you could dig an old Fox or some other maker out of the safe that would do the job. Which one would that be?

Back in the day there would be the sleeper Italian shooter who spoke very little English and shot a Perazzi with his detachable trigger group in a pouch on his belt.

My preference for ammo was 1 1/8oz.- 7 1/2 trap load in the right barrel and a Federal 3 1/4- 1 1/4- 7 1/2 in the left. Those 1330fps loads just recoiled too much for me to be able to stay into the gun for the second shot.