Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

More open patterns
Unread 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default More open patterns

I have a 30" Barrel 16 ga with R choke .30 and L .28. What experience has anyone had with RST Spreader 2 1/2" , 7/8 OZ load with #7 shot. What should I expect for pattern in these barrels as the are unaltered ---MOD???? Also have 20 ga with 30" bbls chokes are R-.19 L-.21 unaltered gun and was going to shoot same RST Spreader load but in 20 ga. 2 1/2' 7/8oz shot # 7. MOD????? Thx DAVID< been listening to all the posts about NOT ALTERING CHOKES OF THE GUN!!!!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

A lot of folks like spreaders, but I have found it better to use a gun with appropriate chokes.

Briley opened chokes on an LC Smith of mine and I was pleased with the results, but don't plan on doing it again. I bought a 20 gauge Sterlingworth with full/mod chokes. It is not for quail, but works great on wood ducks. If a gun is not filling a need, see if it fills a different need
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

If one has a gun with appropriate chokes that is best. But not all have a bevy of Parkers to choose from. For these folks, spreader loads work well, although I have heard that some types of spreader loads work better than others. I don't use them only because I don't need to. But back when I was a kid, I wanted more open chokes for early season pheasants than the modified and full in one of my grandfathers DHE's. So I made spreader loads by putting two over powder wads in the shot column. It worked although the patterns were uneven. Then Remington came out with their post wad which is no longer made. These opened up the chokes to about IC and modified and I was in business. Those old post wads threw wonderful wide and even patterns. I used to load #5 shot for the pheasants so I would get fewer shot in the birds. No. 6's at close range put too many pellets in the wonderful eating pheasants. I still remember the patterns I got with those post wad #5 loads. They were perfect.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am curious to see if these guns, which throw a tight pattern with plastic shot-cup shells, would throw a more even (possibly slightly more open) pattern with modern felt wad shells. Can anyone comment on their experiences with these shells?
I was just reading a Husqvarna website which stated that the tight bored chokes of their guns did not perform as well with plastic shot-cup loads (getting extreme tight or blown patterns). They recommend using felt wad shells.
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Plastic shot cup shells throw more uniform and even patterns although they are tighter. I did a lot of patterning with them when they first came out and found that my modified 12 bore barrel on a DHE threw full choke patterns. It closed my VH 20 bore improved cylinder to modified. I started reloading at 14 years old because new shells were loaded with plastic wads. It was getting harder and harder to find the older shells with fiber wads. Back then I hated the new power piston wad shells, so I had to load my own shells to get what I wanted. I still load fiber wads in my hunting cartridges.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: