Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #21
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I thought you guys might enjoy these photographs, seems like they haven't yet been posted. Didn't realize that I had any of the cases left, but found this one when cleaning up for some fix-up construction. I have also included a few shots of the actual shells that came from these cases. I hope I have just enough left to last me for my remaining turkey hunting days. They are being digested in one of Buckingham's big Beckers and do indeed do a good job on turkeys. A 19 1/2 pounder is the best to date. Too bad, I have shot up, given away, or sold most of what I had over the years. I think the case that sold recently was from the stash that I had the privilege to have purchased from Bart Cox. Yes, John Olin did send Nash any and all shells that he needed, gratis, many through Mr. Highsmith. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3689.JPG (47.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3684.JPG (61.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3681.JPG (44.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3679.JPG (48.7 KB, 9 views)
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Hello Tom!
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #22
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hello Tom!

Hi Tom--great to hear from you! And great pictures! Hank P. and I were talking about you last week while in Vegas.--All good stuff. Hope you are well. Bill D.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,866 Times in 4,754 Posts

Tom, did you visit the Bartholomew farm when you bought the guns or did Bart Cox ship them to you? When Bart sent me the sale list, I should have paid him a visit instead of crying over spilt milk. Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I am curiouse about a good many things and Nash's Burt Becker guns have always been one of them . Although I've not kept up with it the last 15-20 years .

Anyway I assume the #2 Becker Magnum and Nash's Becker 12 gauge quail gun are still known to exist .

I am curiouse has by chance BoWhoop been uncovered ?

I seem to remmember reading something semi recently that gave me the idea that someone was claiming to have found /uncovered it ?
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Found..... read all about it.....
http://www.ducks.org/news-media/news...lls-for-175000
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I remember reading a while ago there was a connection between Nash Buckingham and Missouri Senator Harry Hawes... If I remember correctly Harry had some rather nice Fox/Becker doubles and there may have been some gun dealing between Nash and Harry over the years... Anyone know if Nash and Harry Hawes spent any time hunting together?...

Best, CSL
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,866 Times in 4,754 Posts

Patrick, I hunted at a club on the Potomac River a couple of years ago, and, as I am known to do, started leafing through the log book. I found that Harry Hawes had shot there some time back. I got to thinking about the location of the club, which had been changed "back when". The club where I was shooting is on an island across the river from the Bartholomew farm. I'm not sure about the exact locations of the clubs, but I couldn't miss the Senator Hawes notation in the sign in book.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #28
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill, Yes I did visit, in fact many times as Bart and Hanna and Carol and I became fast friends with our mutual interests in Nash/Becker stuff and antique cars.

Christopher, I just posted some dog photos and hunting BS, and was shooting one of Senator Hawes' smallbore Beckers today. Wow, how about that, I get home and here is a discussion about Senator Hawes and his guns. Seems like something is haunted, I guess I had better get back to bed!
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #29
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Murph,
The Potomac River Hunt Club log book sounds like a great read, and I'll bet there were probably some other well known historical gunners listed among it's pages...

Tom, It's good to know one of Senator Hawes' smallbore Beckers is still spending some time in the field, and your sidekick lab "Ice" sure looks to be having a fun hunt, great photos!... I have an interesting old first edition shooting book I found several years ago from the personal library of Harry B. Hawes that was signed to him by the author in 1933, and if I remember correctly 1933 was also about the same time Harry took delivery of a small bore Fox/Becker gun... Not sure if any of the Fox guys collect "Harry B. Hawes" gunning related items, but thought you might find this interesting... Image below shows a small label on the inside cover of the book mentioned above...

Best, Chris ~ CSL

Unread 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #30
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr. Murphy,

Would love to hear more about the Potomac gunning club that now (or still) occupies the island between Hallowing Pt. and the old Bartholomew Shoreline. A couple guys I hunt with in Rock Hall hunted their frequently in the 70's and early 80's. I had a stake right off the shoreline of what I believe to be Bartholomew land and also hunted Broad Cr. In late 90's a few times. Used to wear out cans and redheads before the Potomac lost a lot of habitat just north for Washington Harbor at Smoot Bay (which I also used to gun). Will see if I can find scanned article from an old issue of Decoy Collector magazine that covered the various Potomac River gunning clubs that existed right up to about WW II. I believe it mentions the club you hunt with as well as the club just down river at Chapmans Landing where Herbert Hoover hunted fowl. I now hunt mainly from several blinds accumulated over the past 15 years or so on the west side of Mason Neck. Will be shooting a Fox 12 bore with newly acquired New Era ITX shells. By the way, if you want your own island in the fabled Potomac, I heard a rumor that Dogue island in Occoquan Bay, also reported to be gunned by Hoover back in the day is on the market. We know this as Conrad Is and a great seagull roost.

Jerry
Jerry McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote