Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

reader III
Unread 04-02-2024, 02:26 PM   #11
Ronald A Moore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Cool reader III

Looks like we might or not get it soon or ever. I hope we do, I agree with Brian, not a good way to do business.

Ron
Ronald A Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2024, 02:55 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,284 Times in 12,390 Posts

For the Nay-Sayers - Daniel and Joanna Cote have busted their butts producing the Finest gun magazine in the World that caters solely to our interests.
Let’s just keep in mind that the Double Gun and Single Shot Journal as we have always known and loved it, is effectively out of business because subscriptions had been dropping off for years. But they continued the effort out of their own pockets for as long as they could.
The Double Gun Journal Index And Reader Vol. III is being published for us because they are fulfilling a Promise to us that they would.

Come on guys, lighten up.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2024, 11:39 AM   #13
Don Ladd
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very well said Dean. I am a personal friend of Danial. I have spent time with him and Joanna in their home, I have bought many great doubles from Danial in the past few years. Danial is a man of his word, we will get delivery of the index reader III, just like the Double Gun Journal was delivered for 32 years. Danial hasn't told anyone this, with his permission I'll tell everyone, Danial was very ill for 2 months over this winter and it set the index reader back for time. Expected delivery is first of May as long there isn't ant problems with the printer is what he told me. Also Double Gun Journal isn't out of business, they still sell back issues and are running everyday, the are out of business of publishing the Double Gun Journal though.
Don Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Ladd For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2024, 12:03 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,284 Times in 12,390 Posts

Thanks Don, I was aware af Daniel’s illness but like you, it wasn’t my story to tell.
I also should have clarified that it is only the publication of the magazine DGJ that has ended.

Again, Thanks!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2024, 12:31 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,884 Times in 4,762 Posts

I'm glad my comments were positive. I never had any doubts that the book would be published. I am a bit disappointed that the authors of articles were not contacted to participate. My assumption is that some were contacted, and some were not. Waiting patiently.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #16
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,075 Posts

Bill, there were several notices in the magazine asking for submissions to be considered for the index.
Unread 04-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #17
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,314 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I'm glad my comments were positive. I never had any doubts that the book would be published. I am a bit disappointed that the authors of articles were not contacted to participate. My assumption is that some were contacted, and some were not. Waiting patiently.
This author of two manuscripts that were solicited by the editors and with their publications pending when the DGJ plug was pulled, was offered publication in the Index but gratis and in trade for copies of the Index. I don't know about others.

Last edited by Frank Srebro; 04-04-2024 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: added "DGJ" to clarify
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2024, 12:53 PM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,633 Times in 4,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
This author of two manuscripts that were solicited by the editors and with their publication pending when the plug was pulled, was offered publication in the Index but gratis and in trade for copies of the Index. I don't know about others.
Back in 2013 when I had a 15 page article published, they did not pay me a dime. And when I called them out on it all they did was offer me a subscription, back issues or catalog reprints. Things that sort of didnt cost them as much as just paying me what they should have for the submission. I pretty much wrote the publication off after that.
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:05 PM   #19
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is the latest post on the DGJ Facebook page. They still working on getting the Index out.

“ We are just a few weeks away from publishing the third Index and Reader. It is a mammoth task so bear with us. In the mean time we are pleased to announce that the first two volumes are now available in our webstore in both digital and print editions, for those who don't have them yet. As a special offer, the digital editions are priced at just $9 each for a very limited time.
These volumes altogether contain 113 unpublished articles, totalling nearly 600 pages. There are two indexes, one by author and the other by subject, which makes it easy to find any article from 1989 to 1996 and 1997 to 2005. Each volume has enough reading matter to fill two quarterly issues so buying both gives you a whole year of DGJ. The print versions are beautifully bound hardbacks and are designed to complement your journal collection. Only 76 of the first volume are left so don't delay. These volumes are available as single items in our store now : https://www.thedoublegunjournal.net/shop. Enjoy!”

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 04-21-2024, 05:51 PM   #20
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Recently sent an e-mail asking about the new mailing date
this is what I received
"Jim:
Hi. We are currently hoping to ship the Index & Reader III by the end of next month.
Thank you,
Heidi
The Double Gun Journal"
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim McKee For Your Post: