Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 04-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #91
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Getting back into this kind of work, and on this one I elected not to take it back to white. There was a slight texture to this PH set, so I simply cleaned it up a bit with some 400 grit paper, and then started bluing and etching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3B61A860-9469-42BF-B299-A4B6A25645C9.jpeg (267.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 8F8AB7EC-CAC6-41B2-A86A-17F540FD71DF.jpeg (218.5 KB, 1 views)
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #92
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

I'll weigh in ....00 steel wool ,a small stainless steel brush ( toothbrush size ) and comet on a rag or my finger tips for Damascus...weep holes are a pain in the ass but sometimes you have to deal with them ,I did have success with steam on a set of problematic bbl I made a sealed tube from 6 inch pvc ,screw on cap with a vent hole ( for those who dont like loud noises and a big mess) the other end solid capped with a rubber going to the kitchen kettle worked good but like Brian said the spots were a battle this was a rust blue job not Damascus,

great job on those bbls Bill
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #93
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Chris. Steam has worked really well for me, and I don’t have space to horizontal tanks, so I’ll stick with it. For carding after etching I use 0 or 1, and small carding brushes from Brownell’s.
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #94
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Amazing work!!!
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #95
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks good to me...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #96
Richard Ranney
Forum Associate

Member Info

I’m new here and have been reading all I can here and on the web as well. I’ve read Tom Flannigans work diligently, your input here, and spoke with Dale Edmonds briefly on the phone. You guys have some incredible knowledge and experience regarding Damascus so I have some questions to clear my confusion.
I’m working on a 1906 LC Smith double hammer that’s Damascus. There were some very feint indications of a pattern in small spots under bright light. I’ve polished with 400 grit and ready to use Laurel Mountain. I know every set is different so here’s my questions and thoughts.

I intend to rust, and card dry with denim twice prior to first boil. Will rusting twice prior matter?
When carding do I attempt to make the rust blend perfectly, and how much rust gets removed? Until it all disappears?
After boiling, should I let them cool prior to carding? I’ll be carding with the barrels submerged.
When removing the oxide created on the first boil, does all of it get removed or is there an even darkness left? I’m assuming that I would see some pattern beginning to emerge.
How much pressure should I apply when carding after etching with 3/o or 4/o steel wool?
I’ll be using Ferric to etch and probably the soda solution while carding.

I appreciate all input I can get for this. Oh, I will strive to get my barrels done as well as the photos in this thread! They’re beautiful. Awesome work gentlemen.
Richard
Richard Ranney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #97
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ranney View Post
I’m new here and have been reading all I can here and on the web as well. I’ve read Tom Flannigans work diligently, your input here, and spoke with Dale Edmonds briefly on the phone. You guys have some incredible knowledge and experience regarding Damascus so I have some questions to clear my confusion.
I’m working on a 1906 LC Smith double hammer that’s Damascus. There were some very feint indications of a pattern in small spots under bright light. I’ve polished with 400 grit and ready to use Laurel Mountain. I know every set is different so here’s my questions and thoughts.

I intend to rust, and card dry with denim twice prior to first boil. Will rusting twice prior matter?
When carding do I attempt to make the rust blend perfectly, and how much rust gets removed? Until it all disappears?
After boiling, should I let them cool prior to carding? I’ll be carding with the barrels submerged.
When removing the oxide created on the first boil, does all of it get removed or is there an even darkness left? I’m assuming that I would see some pattern beginning to emerge.
How much pressure should I apply when carding after etching with 3/o or 4/o steel wool?
I’ll be using Ferric to etch and probably the soda solution while carding.

I appreciate all input I can get for this. Oh, I will strive to get my barrels done as well as the photos in this thread! They’re beautiful. Awesome work gentlemen.
Richard
A few of comments:

1. I polish no finer than 230. The coarser grit provides a better surface for the compound to grab and the barrels will wear better than with finer grit.

2. Card with 4/0 steel wool after the boiling process. Card until all the rusting residue is removed. The barrels will be gray at first but will darken with each iteration. You don’t have to worry about carding off the bluing that is building up. It is tough and will not be diminished with 4/0 steel wool. Card until the barrels are perfectly smooth.

3. It is better to let the barrels cool because cooled barrels are easier to handle. Use clean cotton gloves while carding. Use no gloves with a rubber surface. No need to card submerged barrels. It is much better to let them dry and cool somewhat before carding. Its much easier and you can better see that all the residue is removed. Card as hard as necessary to remove the residue.

4. After the barrel etch, apply baking soda to stop the rusting process and run the barrels under the faucet and thoroughly rinse them. Then I gently card the barrels with a baking soda slurry on my fingers to get the contrast.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #98
Richard Ranney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you for responding Tom. I’ve read your articles and they’re very helpful. I’ve rusted twice already and it appears I’m on track. I will attempt the first boiling tomorrow. I did wipe loose rust powder off going the full length of the barrels with a clean cloth. For clarification, you’re saying NOT to card submerged after boiling? Will being aggressive create scratches? That’s a concern of mine as well. I also want to clarify etching. I’m under the impression that etching will help develop the contrast. Is this correct?
Richard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Ranney For Your Post:
Unread 08-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #99
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ranney View Post
Thank you for responding Tom. I’ve read your articles and they’re very helpful. I’ve rusted twice already and it appears I’m on track. I will attempt the first boiling tomorrow. I did wipe loose rust powder off going the full length of the barrels with a clean cloth. For clarification, you’re saying NOT to card submerged after boiling? Will being aggressive create scratches? That’s a concern of mine as well. I also want to clarify etching. I’m under the impression that etching will help develop the contrast. Is this correct?
Richard
Hi Richard,

1. I believe you will get better results by boiling after each rust iteration. The barrels will be much easier to card after the orange oxide turns to black after boiling.

2. Don’t try to card the barrels in the boiling tank. It takes a long time to cool down and there is nothing to be gained. You can easily see the residue with dry cooled barrels. No point in making things harder than they need to be.

3. Being aggressive carding with 4/0 steel wool is a good practice after the boiled barrels are cooled after the blackening process. Card as hard as you like. You will not scratch the barrels.

4. Etching is the process used to bring out the Damascus contrast. Be very careful carding at this stage. Go easy with the baking soda slurry rubbing softly.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #100
Richard Ranney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom thank you. I’m doing my third boil this evening. So far looks good, I can already see the pattern developing.�� I’ll do the first etch tomorrow. I’m thinking perhaps 10-15 seconds with 2/3 etching solution from the radio shack bottle and water up to about 35” in my tube. Please correct me if I’m on the wrong path with that. If I can figure out posting pictures I’ll post some. It’s telling me to copy a URL location but I thought I could just attach pics.
Richard