Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

power checkering tools
Unread 05-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Default power checkering tools

Does anyone have experience with power checkering tools. I am thinking of getting one. They don't eliminate the need for hand tools but cutting the first pass can go much quicker. They are also supposed to be good for cutting very short lines easily.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I personally prefer working strictly by hand as that is what i have gotten used to. But i know i will want to go power in the future for the sake of my hands.

I do have an okd MMC power cutter that i was planning on selling. If you end up having any interest, let me know.
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Are carbide cutting wheels available that will fit the MMC heads? Do you have a motor that powers the head for sale also?
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;243665]I personally prefer working strictly by hand as that is what i have gotten used to. But i know i will want to go power in the future for the sake of my hands.

I'm a bit surprised that you as a professional would use hand tools only. But I'm guessing that you can do jobs a lot quicker than I can.

That MMX tool brought cut checkering back on some factory guns. They went to pressed checkering because they couldn't recover the cost of hand checkering. Then the MMX tool came out and firms like Ruger used it on their factory guns. The cut checking done by manufactures is pretty decent.
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

My daughter uses one of these and loves it.
https://www.hosfordco.com/tools-meas...wer-checkering
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I can hand checker quick enough to where i am happy with it at this time. And it is how it was always done in the past.
To me, the only benefit to a power tool is speed on larger patterns, and the flexibility you have in adjusting the spacing.

I was going to look closer at hosford’s tool at the NE this year. It is very lightweight which is nice.
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian, Lots of life long checkers feel as you do. My daughter only uses it for lay out and for her it is quicker and does a better job. She uses the NSK power unit .
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I can't disagree with sticking to just hand tools. But doing very small areas like those found on the tips of Parkers where some of the lines have to be very short can be easily, I believe, done with a power cutter. With hand tools in this area, it takes some time to do to avoid runovers and get the right depth.

Brian can probably do the first cut quickly without power tools. I can't. I have to go very slow to avoid run overs and crooked lines. This is especially true on high figured grain stocks. Those hand tools can tend to follow the grain if you are not careful.
Unread 05-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

This is just one man's opinion...

But checkering done by machine is not checkering. Just like engraving done by a machine or laser is not engraving. They are cold mechanical substitutes for human craft and art, devoid of passion or soul.

Remove the human element, and you might as well enjoy the aesthetics of a black plastic stock...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have to disagree with you Kensal. The checkering is not done by the machine. Checkering with an MMC type tool is quite similar to using conventional tools but faster and able to cut short lines easier without runovers. It uses a spinning carbide wheel to cut the lines instead of the push method used by unpowered tools. That is the only difference. It is hand checkering aided by the spinning wheel as opposed to unpowered pushing through the wood with a cutter. It is not a mechanical substitute for human skill. Cutting checkering with a carbide wheel is still hand checkering, only with the aid of a power tool and requires practice to build skill levels. It is used to cut the initial pass which is then finished with hand tools. It does not eliminate the need for hand tools.

It is nothing like laser engraving. Pressed in checkering is. You can not tell the difference between checkering using the push method or the wheel method. The wheel method just cuts the time to complete the initial pass and helps to prevent runovers in tight corners. Carbide wheel or hand tools, it is still hand checkering and requires skill to do competently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: