Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

The ad says it's a 16, the book says it's a 12. The ad says it's an ejector, the book says it's an extractor. I guess I can understand the possibility of aftermarket ejectors, but the ad looks as if was written by someone that...nvermnd.
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, how come that Trojan does not have the frame style of most. Has the mock Dolls Head like mine. Thats one nice Parker! Yours?
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The Simulated breech clips are interesting to say the least. And I see the screw timing has already been mentoned.
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Dean, who built the gun you pictured? Does it have ejectors? As for the Pachmayr gun, the seller does not always describe his guns accurately. It may be an extractor gun, but Pachmayr was probably capable of doing an ejector conversion.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

Bill I have no idea who upgraded the Trojan I posted. I pulled the pics off a web auction site like gunbroker or another. I just liked it so much that I burglerized the pictures.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

B. Dudley, what are the "simulated breech clips" you refer to and on which gun are they displayed? The question that Calvin asked about the frame shaping on Dean's post can be answered. The frame was filed to shape by a very talented gunsmith to a more attractive profile than an original Trojan. Such filing is done today by gunsmiths such as Dewey Vicknair, Dan Rossiter, Steven Dodd Hughes, and some few others.
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

I would guess Brian is referring to the decoration on the side at the the back of the barrels on the Trojan-- sort of side clip look to them but a little undersized

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Oh, now I see it, engraved sideclips. By the way, another upgraded Trojan was done years ago by New York engraver Steve Olin. It is worth looking at if you ever get the opportunity. I have no idea who owns it now. A Trojan is a good basis for upgrading if you have a set of non ejector Parker barrels with a severely damaged doll's head to use. How about a 32" Damascus Trojan. If you have a rough set of Damascus barrels in either #1 or #2 frame size, cut off the doll's head and install them on a Trojan. What a great project gun that would make. Our late friend, Russ Bickel, installed Trojan barrels on a late hammer gun to make a very nice serious shooting gun. Now that Russ is gone, another Parker smith should take up his method of installing hammerless barrels on hammer guns. He claimed it was a piece of cake. Of course, that was Russ Bickel talking.
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
By the way, another upgraded Trojan was done years ago by New York engraver Steve Olin. It is worth looking at if you ever get the opportunity. I have no idea who owns it now.
Bill: An Olin engraved 12 ga A1S upgraded Trojan was sold in Denver a few years ago by MW Reynolds, Ltd. for around $8K. I have no idea who bought it, but I followed the gun from its upgrade in the 90's by Denver gunsmith Gene Hopper, who told me he, "just wanted to see if he could do it," who sold it restocked and in the white to Bill Molnar of "The Gun Room" on Broadway in Denver, who then commissioned the engraving by Olin, the checkering by I forget who, the final rust bluing and case hardening by Turnbull, and the stock finish by I never knew who. It was finished in about 1998. Molnar kept it for over 10 years before consigning it to Reynolds. Just like the one in Dean's pictures, Gene hand-filed out the frame panels and the bolsters around the breechballs, and the American Black Walnut stock had some of the darkest prettiest feather you could hope for, and wood to metal fit that was almost impossibly perfect. The more I look at it, the more the green pad and cabinet finish in the background look like Reynold's store to me, so this may be Gene's gun when Reynolds posted it on GunsAmerica. I just don't remember the gold inlay on the trigger guard. As anyone who knows double guns in the Denver area knows, Gene is one of the greatest unsung gunsmiths in the country. Semi-retired now in his 70's, he only does select work for himself and friends, and prefers wood to metal any more. I count it a blessing to know him.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

As you know, Bill, Russ was an incredibly talented gunsmith and was modest almost to a fault. There was probably scant little he couldn't do in gunsmithing.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote