Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

8 gauge pre 1920 buckshot
Unread 02-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Default 8 gauge pre 1920 buckshot

I recently saw a Parker letter for an 8 gauge with special instructions “to pattern close with buckshot” . This got me wondering if there actually was factory loaded 8 gauge buckshot once upon a time ?
Unread 02-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

UMC 1900 Catalog $2.50 extra charge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-gauge TRAP Shells 1900.jpg (78.7 KB, 2 views)
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wow 1000 rounds of 8 gauge for $80-100 ! I’d be happy paying that amount for a 100 .
Unread 02-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

There are a few entries in the Order and Stock books for 8 and 10 gauge guns specifying close (tight) patterns with large buckshot for use on wolves and bears.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
There are a few entries in the Order and Stock books for 8 and 10 gauge guns specifying close (tight) patterns with large buckshot for use on wolves and bears.
The gun I saw the letter on was sent to Florida . Seems a bit unusual I thought . I have an EH factory original 28” gun that was asked to be choked “close” in the right barrel from what Chuck put in the letter . Now that ones either been opened up or they meant close shots in that particular gun . As that one has I think 8 or so points of construction . That EH didn’t stipulate coarse shot or buck just “close” .
Unread 02-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

I have some 8 ga Winchester brass shells loaded in buckshot I believe them to be factory loaded the way they are crimped...I have yet to see a factory loaded 8 ga paper shell in buckshot but I m sure there were some that were loaded by the factory..i also have some 8 ga paper shells loaded with 7 drams of black powder and 2 1/4 ounce of shot...this is the heavest American factory load I have seen...but I know that in Europe the 8 ga was loaded up to 3 ounces of shot..i forget how much powder was used....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland
I know that in Europe the 8 ga was loaded up to 3 ounces of shot..i forget how much powder was used....charlie
One duck wouldn't be enough incentive to get me to touch off one of those. I'd have to be flock shooting to do it.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
The gun I saw the letter on was sent to Florida . Seems a bit unusual I thought . I have an EH factory original 28” gun that was asked to be choked “close” in the right barrel from what Chuck put in the letter . Now that ones either been opened up or they meant close shots in that particular gun . As that one has I think 8 or so points of construction . That EH didn’t stipulate coarse shot or buck just “close” .
Craig:

I find you comment interesting based on "close and buckshot". When I was a kid growing up in New Jersey (read 50's and 60's) all we could use on deer was buckshot. My Dad sent two 12 gauge guns and a bunch of ammo down to some guy in South Carolina, as I remember, and had the barrels worked on to shoot tight patterns with what I believe was OO out to +30 yards or so. They both threw amazing patterns as I recall and many years later when I measured the chokes they were about .010 or IC. Unfortunately, both guns are gone now.

Those guns sure did a job on deer.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Craig:

I find you comment interesting based on "close and buckshot". When I was a kid growing up in New Jersey (read 50's and 60's) all we could use on deer was buckshot. My Dad sent two 12 gauge guns and a bunch of ammo down to some guy in South Carolina, as I remember, and had the barrels worked on to shoot tight patterns with what I believe was OO out to +30 yards or so. They both threw amazing patterns as I recall and many years later when I measured the chokes they were about .010 or IC. Unfortunately, both guns are gone now.

Those guns sure did a job on deer.
I never had an intrest or need to try buckshot until I inherited my grandfathers W&C Scott crystal indicator 10 gauge . This gun however is tighter than normal and on the underside of both barrels it’s stamped “no ball shot only” or something like that . Anyway I started with a Ross Seyfried load for 1 1/4 ounces of shot pushed with 30 grains of SR7625 and adapted the basic load for buckshot round ball and slugs granted I only tried buckshot in the Scott . Anyway during that hunting season about ten years ago I knocked over my first deer ever using 00 in the Scott . Since that time I’ve killed quite a few deer using various 10 gauge doubles also a couple with a Parker 16 and my Handloaded buckshot . Now the kicker in this whole thing is the fact that rifles are legal in my county so generally I’ll climb a tree and bring a rifle and shotgun along if the deers inside thirty yards and I’m comfortable with the shot the shotgun will boom if it’s further or I think I can’t get the shotgun load to the deer well enough I’ll plunk it with a rifle . I’ve had a couple instances where I’d plunk one with a shotgun others would run off a ways and I’d plunk a second with a rifle . I should say I’m not overly worried about trophy racks I tend to shoot Uhm as I see uhm . And we have doe days all season with a limit of two per day so my yearly totals sometimes creep up a bit .
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Quote:
I have some 8 ga Winchester brass shells loaded in buckshot I believe them to be factory loaded the way they are crimped..
I've not seen a catalog listing of factory loaded brass shells. From the 1870 into the 1930s our ammunition companies offered brass NPEs for Nimrods to load with black powder only. From the 1923 Remington catalog --

1923 Brass Shells.jpeg

The only factory loaded brass shells I know of is the 00 Buck 12-gauge shells for the government from WW-II to Viet Nam --

Military 00 Buck Winchesters left, Remington right.JPG

the Ducks Unlimited 25th Anniversary 12-gauge shells from Remington --

Ducks Unlimited all brass.jpg

And the U.S. Cartridge Co. brass 2-inch .410-bore shells that held the 3/8 ounce load of the 2 1/2 inch paper shell in a 2-inch shell.

ALL-BRASS .410.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: