Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

What Makes a Red Letter Day?
Unread 12-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default What Makes a Red Letter Day?

Some of my favorite sporting writers have described red letter days in their hunting careers. Over many years of hunting, I have long realized that in the end, I'm hunting experiences, not numbers of birds reduced to bag. When I look back through my shooting journal I see entries where I noted some red letter days. I remember every one.

This past week we were able to visit a farm that has provided some good hunting for us over the years. The day was warm for mid-December, and a bit breezy -- not good scenting conditions. I'd decided to use a new-to-me CHE 20 that had served me well during our October grouse hunt. Alder was out of commission with a foot injury, so young Aspen had the day to himself. The week had produced some decent hunting and good opportunities for him, and this day turned out to be the best of the season so far. After a long walk in on a mud road, we began our day hunting the closer, southern section of the farm. We found three coveys of birds, all healthy in number, with one containing over twenty birds. Although Aspen found and pointed the coveys and some singles, I did not have good shot opportunities. The birds knew the property boundaries well, and where every thicket was located...but we walked back to the truck for lunch with four nice Bobs to show Alder, who was pouting about not getting out.

After the break for lunch and a short nap, we headed back down the mud road to the northern part of the farm. Another covey find by Aspen and some better opportunities added to our bag. Aspen hunted hard even in the warmer temperatures. I remarked to Elaine on how much progress he'd made so far this season, and, especially, this day.

The day was waining and we had a long walk back to the truck, so Elaine and I decided it was time to turn south. As we headed out, I found a nice roost just off the mud road and told Elaine that this looked like a perfect spot for a covey -- great cover, far back on a road that would be inaccessible to those not willing to walk in. Elaine took some photos of the roost, and as we headed back to the truck in the final hour of this short winter day, Aspen found his 5th covey of the day -- and made his 13th point. My last shot of the day also completed our limit.

A limit of wild quail is not only unusual for us, it's not something we ever really seek these days. I watch "our coveys" closely, and we seldom take more than a bird or two from them on any given hunt, generally leaving with no more than a brace of birds for the day. This day, though, with its good bird numbers and the chances they offered to a pup in training, seemed like the right occasion to honor Aspen's good work with some quail for him to retrieve. He was a tired guy at day's end, and his tail was showing it on his last point. I can't speak for Elaine, but my tail was dragging, too. The long walk out put us back at the truck near sunset, just as the wind calmed. We all were that kind of tired that reminds you of time and energy well spent.

This was a Red Letter Day for me. Not because of the numbers of birds, and for no one particular aspect of the day, but for the combination of things that made it memorable. The good work of a developing dog, shooting a treasured gun well, being in great country on a beautiful day...and sharing it all with Elaine. I'm not sure I would ask for more even if I could.

I'm curious what makes a Red Letter Day for other members. I invite you to share your thoughts on this post, and I hope you will...and that it will bring back a good memory or two for you. Merry Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4528.jpg (504.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4544.jpg (513.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4578.jpg (504.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4590.jpeg (239.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8144.jpg (503.5 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Doesn’t get any better! Wild birds, great dog work, beautiful country and a CHE 20!

I can recall one hunt on a particularly cold and snowy day hunting my uncles farm. Only one covey was located by my setter Ringo. He held a beautiful point under leaden skies with snow softly falling. I connected on one bird with a single shot. Ringo retrieved it to hand. One covey, one bird, one shot and a single retrieve. But it was special and I consider it a red letter day.
Unread 12-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Doesn’t get any better! Wild birds, great dog work, beautiful country and a CHE 20!

I can recall one hunt on a particularly cold and snowy day hunting my uncles farm. Only one covey was located by my setter Ringo. He held a beautiful point under leaden skies with snow softly falling. I connected on one bird with a single shot. Ringo retrieved it to hand. One covey, one bird, one shot and a single retrieve. But it was special and I consider it a red letter day.
A Red Letter Day for sure, Reggie. And for what it's worth, I mentioned you to Elaine as we were walking out and talking about the gun I used on this special day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Great post and great photos. I would die to hunt wild quail. No such birds where I am unfortunately. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 12-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
After not hunting for so many years, my red letter days seem to be almost every time I can get out to hunt. Some days that stick out for me was my brittany Cash and I on our 1st opening day together. I was driving along a dirt road and saw a grouse run across the road. I parked 100 yards away and walked towards where the bird crossed. What happened after that was magical, we must of found a family of grouse that hadn't broken up yet. There were birds everywhere, some of the grouse flew across the road, Cash had a perfect point on his first woodcock there too. I never took a shot, I had a couple opportunities, but at that point I did not realize just how hard it would be to get a good open shot. I was so happy just watching the excitement of my new dog. I drove right over to our breeders house and told him what happened. I think he was as happy as we were for our day. Another was that first year watching cash late in the season trailing a grouse, I was not even sure what he was doing, it was very open there and the leaves were down, I could see everything, he would circle a little, nose to ground, he went on a quick point, I suddenly realized he was trailing a bird, by then the bird flushed, my gun was down, what a moment that was actually seeing him trail a bird. I am glad you started this thread.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

I can't define what makes a red letter day, but I know when they happen. I think it's a combination of things that can't be fit into a formula ........location has a lot to do with it for me.

One day my buddy and I were hunting wild "birds" on my place. He was in his truck and I in mine, hopping from place to place where I had seen birds before. I pulled up at the end of a hedgerow that I knew a covey of birds particularly likes. As I walked around the back of the truck I heard something and looked into the end of the hedgerow and saw a covey scurrying about, nervous about the truck. It was thick so they felt safe enough not to bust out across the adjacent field.

When my buddy drove up and got out I said "Shut your door easy, they're right here". He grinned and said "Okay", not believing me. Dogs were turned out and in a few seconds they had the covey dead to rights. We took opposite sides of the hedgerow, entering the edges. They busted out on my side and I doubled with my BSS.

We could have gone on home, 'cause we didn't find another bird the rest of the day. Only one covey, only two birds bagged, but a red letter day.

Good thread, Garry! As Bob Hope used to say "Thanks, for the memories".
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

There are lots of things that can add up to a red letter day for me. Often it is good weather, a good familiar cover, the dog doing exactly what he is supposed to do, and a run where I need not say a word to the dog from beginning to end. Of course, a few birds thrown in helps but is not necessary.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm sitting here waiting for it to warm up for our Christmas Day hunt (it's 4 degrees right now!) and reflecting on the replies posted (thank you!). Like those who have responded, I don't recall a Red Letter Day without some good weather and a dog doing what she or he is supposed to do.
Unread 12-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

what a great day and pictures, thanks for sharing it with us
Unread 12-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

One of them I remember was stepping out of my truck and Lucy flushing two pheasants, a hen and rooster, and me doubling on them. Stocked birds no doubt from that morning. Not too sporting, no watercolor painting here folks with colors ablaze and a dog on point. She was an old grey Lab who was my first good dog. She retrieved one, then the other, to hand. We were out five minutes. I lifted her into the truck and we went home. Her life was complete and she was gone a few weeks later. That was one I remember because it wasn't about me, but about her.