Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Checking for cracks
Unread 01-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
Blackpowder Bubba
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Checking for cracks

Just looked at a Damascus steel barreled 1884 10ga gr 2 . It arrived in the mail while I was away at work so when I got home I was like a kid at Christmas opening and having an inspection first thing this morning. To my dismay I noticed what looked like cracks on the right barrel . The heart was pretty heavy as the only reason I bought this shotgun is to shoot Canada geese with it this fall. The seller was telling me that they were scratches however they looked very suspicious. I decided to stop into a Non destructive testing shop and they used a process called Ultraviolet Mag particle testing. They spray an oil based developer on the steel and in a dark room turn on the ultraviolet light. To my glee there was no cracks!
Danielclark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Danielclark For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

PHEW!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,470 Times in 3,042 Posts

That's sounds like a pretty sophisticated process to check for cracks. Glad to read that you got your goose gun. Go get em!
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

More than you probably want to know about Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI)
https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationReso...principles.htm

VERY few testing labs have experience with pattern welded tubes, and interpretation of esp. Twist barrels can be difficult. A normal exam however would be reassuring

MPI is generally considered to be the best method for the detection of fine, shallow surface cracks in iron and steel, especially fatigue cracks. However, defects deeper in the material ie inclusions, may be missed.

It of course tells you nothing about the bore, and for that reason direct observation with a bore scope, and wall thickness measurements of any vintage barrel are needed prior to use.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 03-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Drew:

In the attached pictures - the top one: is the bright green line on the "top" barrel a crack ? Likewise, on the bottom picture, are the two bright green lines cracks (with the fine lines merely being normal features of twist barrels) ?
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

John: here is that barrel segment

and radiography of the segment showed no evidence of cracks. The 2 markers are the ? indicators on MPI. The small lucent areas are felt to be bore pits

Unread 03-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had my ca. 1886 Parker hammer gun (twist barrel) radiographed locally, but nothing conclusive was found, even though I see something that looks like it could be a crack in the bore. I had a guy with a local boiler company video the bores with his borescope, and you could see this "crack" - but it was hard to tell if it was a crack or merely just some corrosion along the lines where the different metal "strands" meet. (This gun is old & well-used. Even the outside surface of the barrels has some of that "washboard" feel to it, so I'm sure the inside surfaces have it too.) I wish I could email the video to you, but it is a 63 MB file. I did send the barrels to Merrington, for inspection, measurement & light honing. I hoped that the honing would remove this "defect." It did not. I asked Kirk about the "crack" - and he acted like he didn't see one; didn't know what I was even talking about. (Which made me wonder...) All he kept saying (instead of a direct answer) was "If it was my gun, I would shoot it with proper, low-pressure loads." It still makes me wonder what I'm seeing, and why he acted as if he didn't notice it...
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

My compliments for doing your due diligence John. I'm not aware of any NDT lab with significance experience in evaluating pattern welded barrels, and suspect it may be related to liability concerns.
It is my not particularly informed opinion that direct visualization, RT and MPI are complimentary. If MPI showed an indicator at the same location as the visible "crack" I would be apprehensive.

This is Jay Oliver's 1874 $100 grade Lifter with a fracture in the Crolle barrel probably at the rod edge "zipper" weld

A Twist fracture

Damascus-Twist fracture

The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,396 Times in 3,073 Posts

Having more years, than I care to recall, with hands on experience, in MT (dry or fluorescent), RT, LP(V), LP(F) ET, and UT, I can say that if I were heading off to a Lab (many of which are run by my ex QC Dept, I would be asking for either Visible Dye penetrant, or fluorescent dye penetrant testing.
The very nature of Twist, Laminated, or Damascus materials is very conducive to false positive interpretation. The magnetic permeability of the dissimilar materials is distinct enough to show flux field lines.

The only important part of the above, for the non techs, is highlighted. I just can't help myself.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: