Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,387 Times in 595 Posts

Rick thank you for a second reason to load them. Mills my desire for BP is mischief not low pressure, i have that under control with reloading. I am afraid i may have tipped my hand with this thread.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

paper hull shells do fine with black powder....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post

i'm sure its not your reason- but a funny BP story -

many years ago a friend and his dad belonged to a small gun club- and it was quite disappointing to members to find out some one was stealing boxes of shells from members who left them sitting unguarded on tables in the club house- so one day my friend's dad set a box of AA's with his stuff on a table and left them there when they went out to shoot a round. My friend said something to his dad who simply said don't worry about it- sure enough, when they came back in the box of shells was gone.

His dad laughed and said lets go sit outside and watch people shoot. they were only there for a few minutes when a guy stepped up to station one on a skeet field and called for his bird - BOOOM goes the shot in cloud of smoke. the shooter looked around to see everyone staring at him, then picked up his stuff and left, never to return to that club.

yup- he had loaded that box with black powder
That's a great story! That would have been something to witness.

Every so often there'll be a live round left on the gun rack at the club almost intentional like. I've never been brave enough to touch one of those off.
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have ben using 1 fg in the 10 and 1.5 fg in the 12. 4 dram and 1.25 oz for the 10 and 3 dram with 1 oz in the 12. Old Eynsford shoots the cleanest and fouling is soft and relatively light, Results on the clays are very good with performance equal to smoke less powder loads. At the Tunnel of Trees this year I shot my Army&Navy 1880's back action hammer gun and ran a 27 of 30 on the Incoming Challenge. I shot well and had many ask about my loads which were put up in Cheddite paper hulls. One can easily run 50+ shots without any fouling problems and then a brush and a few patches and you are ready for the next stage. Many years ago I purchased Pyrodex Cartridge when it was being discontinued on a close out price and use it in the 10 ga. Works fine with a plastic hull and card and fiber wad column 4 dram and 1.25 oz shot. Performance is quite good and fouling is light making clean up a breeze. About the only load I use to use up my supply of this powder. I still have about 5 pounds of it left. Pyrodex 2 fg can be used but I'd use a lighter dram equivalent to lessen the recoil. While black powder subs can be used I do prefer real black powder now with OE. I do like the 12 ga Cheddite papers with a roll crimp for black powder loads and use them often for clays and in the fields. Federal papers with a 6 point crimp also works nicely. Hot soap and water, brushing and patches make for an easy cleanup. If you are interested in loading some old time loads I'd use OE and you might be surprised in how well it actually works on the course and in the fields. It really is great fun!
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,387 Times in 595 Posts

Thank you- I appreciate your taking the time to reply and the detail of it.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric- Why do you prefer the coarser BP in your shotgun loads?
Also, why Pyrodex in 10 gauge only?
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Main reason is felt recoil. 4 to 4.25 drams and 1.25 oz shot with 2 or 3 fg is a pretty stout load and can be punishing for a 50 shot course. 1 fg cuts down on the recoil and still performs quite well on clays and birds. OE 1.5 fg is more like Goex 2 fg in grain size and the performance is outstanding. Black powder works best in smooth bores and I only use up the Pyrodex Cartridge in the 10 ga. Years ago when I used a Shiloh Sharps in 45-120 I had worked up a good load using the Cartridge grade. I bought a good supply when on close out and it sat on the shelf for many years until I tried a short 10 Greener and decided to use it up. 110 grains of Pyrodex Cartridge works well in that hull and is an excuse to use the powder up. 12 and 16's I really like black powder best and clean up is about the same for both powders so why not use the real stuff. With Cheddite supplying paper hulls in both 12 and 16 black powder is excellent for an old time shooting experience. I do doubt that 10 ga papers will ever be produced and the market is just too small to make it worth while and plastic is the only option and they do work well, just not the same experience as a paper hull. When you get a squad of black powder shooters and vintage doubles on the course or 5 stand it brings back the shooting experience of the Victorian/Edwardian era It is really quite a sight to see!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I too don't like recoil. For me, a 4 dram load is out of the question. In 12ga, 75grs of 3F and 1oz of shot will break any clay bird. Federal papers can be cut to 2 1/2" and roll crimped. They look just fine. For the 10, 82grs of 2F and 1oz of shot will also break any clay bird without the recoil. Nothing would change with any of the BP substitutes.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 12-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,149 Times in 622 Posts

This has been a great thread with a lot of good information. I'll add a few things and I have some questions as well.

It is relatively easy to reload black powder shotshells with hand tools. When I first bought a 2 5/8" 10 gauge lifter, I wasn't set up for reloading. I cut down RST plastic shells and loaded them with the Goex 2ff black powder, nitro card, fiber wad, shot and then glued on a over shot card. I usually got 2 reloads out of the plastic shells. This video helped get me started in the very beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U

I then had to try the all brass shotshells. Magtech is a cheap way to get started into this, though they only make up to 12 gauge. Track of the Wolf sells some great replica Parker Bros. brass shotshells in 10 and 12 gauge in a few different chamber lengths. I love these and they also sell a really good reloading guide for them as well. These seem like the closest thing you can get today that replicate what our hammer guns were shooting back when they were new. Loading is the same as shown in the video above with powder, nitro card, fiber wad, shot, over shot card glued in place.

With paper shells you can load by hand and then roll crimp at the end with an overshot card. I like this method as well and you can still get paper shells in everything but a 10 gauge. You can buy 2 1/2" primed Cheddite Paper hulls that give you a head start for the first time you load them.

Since I have started reloading in 12 and 10 gauge with a press, I have crimped plastic shells so they look like any other shotshell. I usually get 2 reloads out of these as well, most of the time they are RST/Cheddite hulls. The only real difference is instead of gluing an overshot card you crimp the shell using the last 2 stations of your press. I like these too, but I still end up putting in the powder by hand. It's a little quicker and the shells could be used in repeaters, like an 1887(which I really need to get) or early pumps 1893/1897(I could use one of those too...). The roll crimped paper shells would fall into this as well.

Regardless of the loading method, I think it is a must try for a hammer gun shooter. Take the time to load some and see how much fun it is to shoot black powder. I love the feeling I get when I shoot a double with black powder. It is a fun experience and really easier to get into than regular reloading.

My question is on different powders. I have always used 2ff Goex in all my black powder shooting regardless of gauge, though I have only loaded and shot target loads. I have a Tundra Swan and duck hunt coming up in January and only want to use black powder shells. I do have time to test some combinations before I go. I have seen/read how several people like the Old Eynsford powder. Thank for your info and insight on this powder Eric, it makes me want to try OE. I will be using a 10 gauge Top Action Parker made in 1882.

I was about to place a black powder order with Maine Powder House and I think I will try some Old Eynsford. I had seen how everyone likes 1.5f in OE, for the 10 gauge could I use that or would you go to 1f of OE? I do have several cans of 1f Goex that I bought for an original musket and then I returned the gun. I have ordered BB and #2 ITX original 10 shot t use for non-toxic shot for the hunting trip. I had wanted BBB for the Swan hunt, but everyone was out, I may be able to find some before I go.

A long post…hopefully it reduces some of the intimidation factor in reloading and shooting black powder in our Parkers. In addition, it shows even after doing it for awhile you can still have questions.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #20
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've switched to OE because of it's cleaner and softer fouling and the finer grain size makes for more velocity. 1.5 for the 12 and 16 ga and 1 fg for the 10 only because it bulks up better and you need a shorter wad column. Even the short 10 has a bunch of capacity and a 4 dram load of 1 fg with 1.25 oz of shot makes a very effective load. 4.25 dram load would be a outstanding field load! And again the only reason I use the Pyrodex Cartridge is to use it up. Works ok but real black is much better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post: