Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

16ga VH - Good restoration candidate?
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16ga VH - Good restoration candidate?

I dug this one out of an estate auction and it may need a bit more than a little TLC. 1907 16ga 0 frame. Mechanically excellent, wood is in good shape despite having a metal pin insert and a newer recoil pad (probably from the last 30-40 years). The stock crest is missing or was removed (don't understand the logic behind that move).

Bunch of the screws are a bit buggered and the blueing is in poor shape - someone obviously took a brush to the receiver and barrels to remove surface rust (an evidence of pitting remains). Barrels have some pitting right at the end of the chambers (or gouges from shooting 2 3/4 shells in a 2 1/2 chamber?). Brace on the trigger-guard is a bit messed up.

Regardless, I have never had any sort of restorations done with any of my doubles (I really relish the history of them). I'd like to get it checked out, have the barrels evaluated and have a partial restoration done so it can be a good working piece for me. I'm looking for some recommendations on how to proceed or what you might want to do and some good smith recommendations.
Tom Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

What area of the country to you live in so we can make a recommendation of someone near you
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Do the barrels look the same on both sides? Meaning those marks in the location they are appear as though they could have bulged at the front of the chambers and hammered back down. If so, I wouldn't attempt to fire it until it has been inspected and measured by an expert who is very familiar with old doubles.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

First of all - I'm in NC. I assume I'll be sending it somewhere, regardless - just always prefer good recommendations before I give it to someone I have no experience with.

As far as the barrels - each one looks different on both side on both the exterior and interior. I have never seen a barrel that has been hammered down, so i can't say. From my experience, it really appears to be old exterior rust pitting. The right barrel has just a couple of spots of rust pitting on the exterior. The interiors - just the random pitting right past the chambers. Otherwise, the bores look pretty good.

Definitely won't be firing until I get an inspection!
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

The decision to restore is rooted in the condition and thickness of the barrels, as well as original length, bore, and choke dimensions. The good part of the action is that the floorplate fit seems to be very good and the seam unmolested, although there is evidence of a need to destroy some engraving areas to repair what appear to be hammer marks. With good barrels, this gun would be a good candidate for restoration. The pin in the stock head can be removed and the hole hidden after a proper invisible repair is done. A full restoration by a high end shop would not be warranted, but someone could help you with the individual problems. It would still cost you a pile.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's not all that important to me to have it restored to the original factory finish but I would like it to be a good shooter.

I did some barrel measurements and they appear to have good thickness but i am still going to have them checked out. IF they check out, I am mostly interested in getting the bores polished and the barrels blued. If the barrels are bad, I dont have much money in this gun (so far) so sleeving would be something I'd consider.

As far as having the peg removed and stock repaired - what is a typical cost associated with that?

Again, still looking for smith recommendations.
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Coach
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tom,

Cost to make this gun a good shooter (after you have it checked out) is $0. Just elbow grease and a mild cleaning. Sleeving is out as no one I know has 16 ga tubes. You can get a good idea of what gunsmithing prices generally are by going to Briley's website www.briley.com. Forget the 2-3/4" shells as they are generally 1290 fps 1oz snot-kickers. Either reload or buy RST's short 16 ga shells. They are easy on the gun and the shooter. If the stock is tight now (no wobbeling when you flex it) just leave it alone. You really can spend a bundle on fixing up this gun or just enjoy it for what it is. If you want a really nice looking gun, hide in the bushes and learn as much as you can, get some expert opinions on every one you are considering, and get one that is right for the right money.

You just missed the Southern SxS with hundreds of Parkers for sale. That is a good place to look and get advice from the pros. for what to look for.

All the above just my $.02.
Carl.
Carl Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carl Brandt For Your Post:
Carl Brandt
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
David Nelson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Carl Brandt

Carl
What's the Southern SxS?
Dave
David Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
phil anderson
Forum Associate

Member Info

tom;if you want to spend som bucks i know a excellant smith ,i can help with wood good luck. phil, 405-301-5770
phil anderson is offline   Reply With Quote