Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #21
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Thanks Jerry. I'll git it a try.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,538 Times in 4,621 Posts

In an ideal situation, the clearance between the triggers, sears and safety should be so that there is no noticable movement in the triggers when you take the safety off. However, it is not uncommon to have some movement in the triggers upwards when taking the safety off. In order for the movement of the safety to be smooth and with ease, the bottom of the lever should be rounded on the leading edge so that it will push the triggers down when the safety is put back on. If not, there will be binding.

The whole issue you are having with the safety and the tang screws being able to be overtightened explains a case where the wood has shrunk, or has been compressed due to oul soaking or a restock where the inletting is improperly cut.

The gun not opening MAY have something to do with the safety reset rod and the binding of the improperly adjusted safety. The bound up safety is preventing the top lever from pushing back the reset rod. If you remove the reset rod, you may find the gun will at least open. Or if you want to completely pinpoint the safety as the culprit, remove the jacket assembly from the stock and see if everything works (except the safety of course).

The safety jacket being installed soley in the wood is one of the flaws in the Parker design (in my mind). It is never a good idea to have any mechanical part dependabt on the wood. The good thing about the safeties is that they are pretty forgiving. The angle of that lever can be tweeked back and forth or even side to side. And reshaped. Or even material added to it to make adjustments. The trigger blades can be adjusted too if need be. Sometimes it is easier to file the triggers than the safety lever.

Turning the trigger return spring upside down is not your answer. It may be, if anything, a temporary remedy to a larger issue. And it is not the way it was intended to operate. It is there to take up slack in the triggers. Not add more.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #23
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

??????????????????????

As I said, if the person is uncomfortable with removing metal from the trigger, and the tolerance between the trigger and the safety has become too small to let the normal trigger's upward pressure let the safety reset, reversing the trigger spring putting downward pressure so the gap is maintained, will work.

Pushing the front trigger forward tells Harry where the trouble is since it allows opening. Did I ever say it was the right way? No I said it was not the way it was designed. Read my post. I gave a simple fix to the problem.

May work. May not. I'll bet it does. If the gap has become that small, one will not notice it when reversing the spring. In fact one may find in guns where the external screws are messed up and out of time that you will on occasion see these trigger springs reversed by someone who installed it incorrectly as they did the external screws. Didn't know any better and did not photograph anything before disassembly. Still the gun works.

As I said and Brian repeated, removing metal from the front trigger where it meets the safety is the right way; but only if you feel comfortable doing that.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2018, 12:27 AM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I believe Brian is likely correct in stating the root cause of the issue is that the stock is allowing the trigger plate to be tightened to the point it has closed the necessary gap between the trigger tops and the safety bar. It would not be my first choice to remove metal in order to open this gap back up, but to add either a shim of some firm, non-compressable material, or inlet and bed in a new piece of wood, then re-inlet to the proper depth. If the stock is oil soaked to this extent, or has shrunk, what seems tight now, may not be tight in a few years.
I have a favorite belt, which, over time, has become shorter, and my fix was simply to order a new belt from "YourTack.com" Now I'm using the fourth hole instead of the first hole. Truth is, I know I didn't fix the problem. I just 'adjusted' for it.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #25
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Wow! I sure like the looks of the leather goods on "YourTack.com"
Unread 02-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #26
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I have a favorite belt, which, over time, has become shorter, and my fix was simply to order a new belt from "YourTack.com" Now I'm using the forth hole instead of the first hole. Truth is, I know I didn't fix the problem. I just 'adjusted for it.
Ha, I have a simple fix for that, that is painless.

If you like sweet ice tea, like most southerners do, then this worked for me and I just stumbled into it. If you don't like it, learn to like it and make it a part of you daily routine. Here is the kicker use Green Tea instead of regular tea leafs, and instead of sugar or any other sweetener use Stevia extract, since it has zero calories. I like the liquid form. I swear you cannot tell the difference in between sugar and stevia in taste if you get the right brand and I recommend Whole Foods brand. (Note, a little liquid stevia from Whole Foods brand goes a long long way, 1 teaspoon of type I use will sweeten a 2 quart jar of tea.) I brew a 2 quart jar a day and have a yeti cup working it througout the day and starting early.

So here is the story, and I am not into fad diets or any of that crap, but wife bought some green tea and we were out of regular so I tried it and liked the way it tasted, so I started drinking it all the time with Stevia . I noticed that when drinking it my appetite was greatly reduced. So I went and read about it and it seems Green Tea has a lot of benefits. It is an anti-oxident good for keeping the cancer away (maybe), suppresses appetite (I agree), burns stubborn belly fat (results may vary, but it did for me). Burning belly fat could be combination of things, less intake of food is probably biggest reason.

After I started it and did not change activity level at all I felt less hungry and could even skip meals, and when I didn't and not overeating regular meals, it could eat less and still satisfy appetite. If I was hungry I ate something though whenever I felt like it. Sometimes I at a regular big meal like before and sometimes I didn't but I always was drinking green tea even with meals. Over about a 3 to 4 month period dropped 10 to 15 lbs. Waist went from a 36 to 34. Before starting I weighed about 205 and based on family history carried most of weight on chest and belly, now weigh somewhere between 185 and 190. BTW I also tried to stay away from sweets, and try is key operative word.

I will say this, clothes fit better or even worse I had to buy some new clothes since old ones swallow me. Went from XL to L. I also felt alot more spry when hunting and better yet I lost weight around my face and now guns even fit a little better, especially the old Parker. Old favorite belts even fit and actually was able to tighten them to a hole that had never been used before.

Give it a shot the worse that could happen is you develop a tea habit. Also green tea has less caffeine and also won't stain the your cups or teeth like regular tea, if that is a concern at all. I find caffeine addiction and then not having it makes people irritable. I am all for a kinder and gentler green tea sipping world.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #27
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Wow! I sure like the looks of the leather goods on "YourTack.com"
That was ('was' being the watchword) a closely guarded secret. I have been wearing one of several Ranger belts for a dozen years. Dressy enough and still great with jeans.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #28
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
That was ('was' being the watchword) a closely guarded secret. I have been wearing one of several Ranger belts for a dozen years. Dressy enough and still great with jeans.

Yep agree with that, I have ranger style belt that had for a long time and then out grew it, I can wear it again now after hanging closet for 10 years and even in a never used before hole. Also not trying to boast. I had seen a lot folks recently that had not seen and they said man you lost a lot of weight. I was actually pissed because I did not think I was overweight before.

Screw all those BMI calculators is my thinking. If your happy and healthy I don't care what your shape or weight is personally is my motto.
Unread 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

At 6'4", 240, I think I'm in shape.

Round is a shape, isn't it?
Unread 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
At 6'4", 240, I think I'm in shape.

Round is a shape, isn't it?
Yep and if your happy and healthy who cares. That was my thinking before I just stumbled or strolled into something that happened to me. I was not even looking or trying to lose weight, didn't care, it just happened. What happened for me might not work or be a solution for anyone else. There is no magic pill and I am not endorsing or promoting anything. I just changed some habits from what I was doing at minimal effort. Heck I think it was similar to when I stumbled into a shooting instructor at a client event years ago that changed they way I prepared before each shot and gun positioning. Shot in front of the instructor and hit 20 in a row on going away shots and then he said I was doing it wrong.

BTW not trying to derail topic was just going along with Edgar and his disarming parody.

I'll leave it at this.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life son"

Dean Wormier, Animal House