Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Hmm obviously lots of variables to determine felt recoil, gun weight and action of gun being some of those factors. BPS like I shot with and your big bore Parkers are straight on, with little to no recoil reduction. Though supposedly the BPS is back bored which is suppose to help with patterning and maybe some recoil (probably very little on recoil).

Went to web and saw a recoil chart. I think the BPS 12 gauge weighs between 8 and 9 lbs and charts suggest recoil is in the 65 lb to maybe a little greater. I think the 10 gauge with about same load but with it being heavier reduces the recoil between 60 and 65 lbs.

I don't know how much you big bore guys shoot those guns at those geese in and outing but sure hope its cold enough to put on some thick clothes to help pad it some. Even if shooting 3 inch 10 gauge shells that would produce some recoil in the 50's close to 60, just guessing by eyeballing charts. Still that is a whuppin if you shoot more than a handful of times in a short period.

Luckily all I know is that when I take my rig out and draw down on a turkey, most likely all I need is one shot. Btw the 2 two times taken a turkey with that load I don't remember the recoil at all, but I do remember the shots, that big boom in a quiet setting and the net effect.
ALL of the 10 gauge 3 1/2" I've shot has been slugs , buckshot and 2 1/4 ounce turkey loads . In the Benelli SBE all I shot was buckshot and 2 ounce turkey loads . Virtually the same loads and that Benelli being a bit lighter it doesn't take much to realize that Benelli thumps MORE !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #22
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
I think RST bismuth 10 gauge loads are 1 1/4 ozs. At any rate, recoil in my 3 frame EH is negligible. I limit my shooting to 40-45 yds. Much beyond that they are coming down alive and I hate that. I also love the sound of 10 p30 grains SR7ounds of protein hitting the ground. Hard. Nothing quite like it.
My most used 2 7/8" 10 load is 30 grains SR7625 , SP-10 wad with a 16 gauge nitro card in the bottom topped with 1 1/4 ounces of shot . I've used that load for skeet , trap and sporting with no ill effects . Now with that being said you DO NOT wanna go out and shoot a couple rounds with a 20 or 16 and then shoot the 10 gauge as it'll wake you the F up . But otherwise it's no big deal .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post: