Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #61
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think I’ll probably get them redone with the Briley tubes. I’d still like to find some 28” steel barrels eventually, would be nice to keep the original barrels with the gun even if they aren’t used that much, + have a set I could throw on and and use in the fall.

Thanks everyone.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #62
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I have a GH with original barrels bulged and cut to 23 inches. Brian Dudley found some replacement barrels for it and it is one of my favorite shooting guns with the replacement barrels. I bought a Boyt two barrel case and keep both barrels in it. That system works well for me.

Your Bernard barrels would be great if you ever wanted to display the gun.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #63
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kirk, you can proof test those barrels yourself. The components required are an inflated spare tire, rope or heavy duty ty-raps, 80 ft. of heavy string, 2 3/4" magnum loads a hard hat , and eye protection. While proof testing has huge risk to those Bernard barrels it will determine any safety concerns. More than 40 years ago I was involve with an AH 12 ga. damascus gun that the dealer wanted to replace the damascus with Vulcan barrels. I convinced him that the gun would be much more desirable with both sets of barrels. I assure you the gun will shoot as well with Vulcan barrels as it will with Titanic barrels.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #64
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

When fitting similar frame size barrels to a different gun, is their ever a situation where it just could not be done? Obviously I have no way to test fitment unless I was to buy locally.
Unread 02-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #65
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kirk, matching frame size is most important, the width of the breech on the barrels should match the width of the fences on the action ( .010-.020 would be acceptable ), a full rib extension would be desirable, ejector or Damascus barrels should not be excluded, seek expert advice before purchase if possible ( 3 day inspection, approval , loan, etc.), after you outline your requirements use this forum to assist you in your search, buy barrels in very good or better condition ( poor condition barrels are a money pit ), and finally be patient , you have the gun, the barrels you need are out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #66
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I think the answer to Kirks question is, yes, there are times when barrels are not able to be fit properly enough, even if the right frame size. Seems there's been posts on here stating that. Seems like I've read everything from "they dropped on and fit better than the originals", to "just couldn't make them work". Others who know far more than I should chime in here on this one.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #67
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, I read somewhere on here someone was saying to try and keep within 10,000 of your gun.. Obviously not possible in this case.

These are 2 frame 28” barrels choked F/F.. described as being in good shape, not really liking the condition of the dolls head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D19AAD63-4EEF-4B9D-9A1A-BA190EB20C87.jpg (217.5 KB, 6 views)
Unread 02-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #68
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

the dolls head may end up needing fitting anyway
Unread 02-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #69
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

That dollshead looks like it can be easily be repaired with an expert tig welder who must use cold rolled rod, NO SS rod. Width of the breech is important. Comparing the width of your lug to the Vulcan barrels would be advisable, 002 or less is OK, the Vulcan larger is best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #70
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Richard, I gave Kirk 2 disqualifiers, frame size and width of breech, giving him more may cause him to reject a perfectly acceptable set of barrels. Fitting a set of barrels that had been previously fitted often involves compromise, that's why I encouraged Kirk to seek professional advice. Richard while your statement is true and I understood Kirks question I chose not to answer it as I felt I would confuse him. Finally, what one man accepts in doing this work another man may reject as a result of compromise.