Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

When I lived in Napa, CA people used to talk about watching Gable and Lombard driving a Duzy into town to shoot dove up valley. It was before the huge vineyards of today. Long grass and ancient oaks made fine flora for dove.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

That gold-embossed Parker sure looks like a Pachmayer upgrade.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I guess I shouldn't say this but the case, if it doesn't have solid provinence, may not be legitimate. Anyone can make a Clark Gable name piece and "age" it. I don't believe any gun story without solid provenance. There are folks out there who will fake things to make sales more lucrative. Then the poor sould who bought the piece then thinks he has the real deal and passes on the story to others. Fakery is not good. I guess I shouldn't say this either, but I don't like the fact that Delgrego reworked Parkers and stamped skeet in and skeet out on the barrels. There are a lot of them out there. I am suspect of any Parker skeet gun that was worked on by the Delgrego's. It may be a true factory skeet gun but chances are that it isn't.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Unfortunately there have always been cheats and there will always be cheats. As technology progresses someone will find a way to make something into what they want it to be. My father used to say that if a cheater put as much time into doing it the right way versus the short cut by cheating in the first place the results would be honest and probably take less effort in the long run.

I'm always leery of anything that looks to good for it's age or is a rare find be it high grade small bore Parkers or Winchester M70's esp super grades.
Unread 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

It's a shame what money does to some ,I have even seen a weekend Golf game among friends go south over a quarter a hole and sandies ! I have to agree ,when things don't seem right you really have to watch ! A few days ago I was talking to a Gentleman about a 20 Ga. Trojan he took in on consignment with very minimal barrel blue ,chip in the toe of the stock most of the wood finish worn but with a very high percentage of case colors left ! We both agreed something doesn't wash !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #16
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I guess I shouldn't say this but the case, if it doesn't have solid provinence, may not be legitimate. Anyone can make a Clark Gable name piece and "age" it. I don't believe any gun story without solid provenance. There are folks out there who will fake things to make sales more lucrative. Then the poor sould who bought the piece then thinks he has the real deal and passes on the story to others. Fakery is not good. I guess I shouldn't say this either, but I don't like the fact that Delgrego reworked Parkers and stamped skeet in and skeet out on the barrels. There are a lot of them out there. I am suspect of any Parker skeet gun that was worked on by the Delgrego's. It may be a true factory skeet gun but chances are that it isn't.
So, that rattly old sawed off Belgian made hammer gun at the gun show with the Wells Fargo logo engraved in the buttstock might be a fake?
The seller seemed so sincere.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Grab the gun Todd. Wells Fargo guns are desirable. If the seller was sincere, there is no reason not to believe him . The worst case of total BS I have ever witnessed was at a Baltimore show years ago. The seller had a destroyed VH on the table that he was trying to sell to some poor soul who seemed to be buying the story. The gun was polished to the extent that the engraving was completely missing and the parts of the frame no longer fit properly. Some idiot sanded the stocks to the point where the wood was much lower than the metal. The buyer said that the gun was special ordered that way from Parker by Mell Ott, the famous baseball player of the 20's. I never interfere with a seller trying to make a sale, but I told the prospective buyer that the story was BS and the gun was a wreck. I said this in front of the seller and got great pleasure in doing so. That seller was totally lacking in integrity.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

There's a well known online auction house in the south that's sold enough faked up crap that supposedly belonged to famous people it's reached a point of being comical. The best one was an old worn out Shattuck single shot 10 gauge that had a crudely made brass medallion nailed to the stock that said something about it being won by Capt. Bogardus in a glass ball shooting match in 1897 or some crap.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: