Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums PGCA Member Questions & Announcements

Notices

December 7th, A day that will go down in Infamy
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Default December 7th, A day that will go down in Infamy

Remember the atrocity of the Japanese attack on Sunday morning, December 7

We've seen the film clips and the photographs and we remember the day with horror.

Remember the Finest Generation that answered the call to National Defense.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i will remember hope others do...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Not a problem, Dean. I won't forget.

Although I was born in 1946 I vividly remember my parents and their friends talking about WW2, Pearl Harbor, the Normandy Invasion, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and high school and neighborhood friends who were killed during the war. They talked like it was just yesterday and for them it was just yesterday.

My brother, Dan, and I joined the USMC in January 1964 after hearing stories of the battle for Okinawa told to us by a high school history teacher who had been there. Interestingly a former high school classmate recently wrote and said she always hated that history teacher because he glorified war and made it sound great so that other high school boys would want to enlist. I don't know if he glorified war or not. He was pretty honest about it though. I do know that Dan and I couldn't wait to get to Vietnam. Even when we found out fellow USMC friends had been killed in battle it only made our resolve stronger. We were told on one occasion by a higher NCO that we could stay in the states and avoid the war altogether but Dan told him we didn't join the Marine Corps to out the war in North Carolina.

I was telling my wife just this morning that in January 50 years will have passed since Dan and I went into the Marine Corps. It is a long time ago yet seems like yesterday to us. At 67 years old we remember both our parents war and our own. You don't forget easily.

I have to end this now. I seem to have something in my eyes.

God Bless America and the military who defends us all.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

God bless you and your brother Dennis.
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I could only imagine living in that time. Making it through the depression to be faced with the threat of the Japanese in the Pacific theatre and Germany in Europe. Imagine trying to tell people today they had to ration goods like meat or rubber.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In June, 1964, I recall shaking the hand of my high school friend and wrestling partner and asking him what his plans were now that we had just graduated from our N Georgia high school. Tony Stringer told me he would work on his dad's farm and would likely be drafted. When asked about my plans, I told him of my acceptance into the U of GA. We wished one another well....but I walked away doubting the fairness of the college deferments being granted to those students whose families were financially able to send their kids to college. Within two years Tony gave his life in service to his country. This became a sore subject with my fine father and me, my wanting to join but being encouraged to learn now and join and fight later should Nam drag on as it did. Pop was a corpsman who served in the US Marines in the South Pacific. My pride in his service is immeasurable. Brokaw wrote of Pop and Dennis and his brother and that Greatest Generation. I bow my head in reverence. Through them I am free.

By the time I had a sheepskin, Nam had changed and the lottery spared me and my two brothers. I look back with friends that served in Nam and am told that I should be glad I was spared. All I can offer is my 30+ years in the space shuttle program where I worked ordnance systems on the solid boosters. Entrusted by the flight crews with their safety, I never backed up to a check. But no one ever took a shot at me! In the sad light of the two losses we incurred in that program, much hard work was done in a very patriotic effort by many from all walks of life.

Our nation might be best served if the draft is re-initiated. We could use a tool to strengthen our waning sense of service and patriotism. More caution would be taken by more parents/voters if they ALL had a dawg in the fight. No sir, your son aint off to Yale with his new BMW. He's off to Somalia by year's end.

God Bless America. PRAY FOR PEACE AND THANK OUR TROOPS FOR THEIR SACRIFICES.
Jack Selman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Selman For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack,

My brother and I along with all Marines would thank your dad profusely. Marines hold their Corpsmen in very high regard. If he is still alive please tell him Semper Fi from us and also a heartfelt thank you.

I agree with you about reinstituting the draft. So many Americans these days are just out to lunch with regard to our military. At times I want to shout out to young people and some adults, Come on people. We are at war. Of course they wouldn't listen or even care for the most part. They are too busy going about listening to their MP3 players or partying. I mean no disrespect to those people who do take it seriously, our freedom and safety that is. A draft would at least let people see that the military is real and is needed in America not just now but for future generations as well.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

My wife's childhood next door neighbor is a Pearl Harbor Survivor (USS West Virginia). I talked to him yesterday and he remains very sharp and clear. He just received the Sagamore of the Wabash from the Governor of Indiana- one of the greatest distinctions the state can grant a citizen. He has spoken to thousands and thousands of school children on the events of the 7th. He is a sprite 91 years young. Needless to say he never drove a Japanese car.

Last edited by Jeff Christie; 12-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Correct named of award
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Christie For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
Needless to say he never drove a Japanese car.
Interesting that you should say that, it just remind me of a conversation I had with my dad years ago. I was born just after the war and in the late 60's I bought a Toyota. At the time, it was the best bang for the buck and I had very few bucks. My father wouldn't buy anything made in Japan and one day I asked him why (dumb question). He was at Iwo Jima at the end of the fighting and at Okinawa for all of it. In fact, I am named after his friend that he survived the battle of Okinawa along side. Anyway, his reply to my question was "You don't forget when someone is trying to kill you".

With so many in the world that want to kill us, I wonder why we don't seem to have the same convictions my father had. Maybe those peoples identity are not as well defined or maybe the PC police would come get me if I stated what I'm thinking?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Maybe the PC police would come get me if I stated what I'm thinking?

I think you nailed it Robin. It's not 'politically correct' to dislike or speak ill of someone who wants you dead - wants what you have and will do what he needs to do in order to get it - forces you to buy something you neither need nor want - blatantly disregards the law, the constitution, socially accepted conduct - I could go on and on but I think you nailed it.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: