Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Barrel questions
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Murray Gaskins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrel questions

I acquired a 12 Ga Parker # 55,711 over 20 years ago, leaned it in a corner because it says Damascus Steel on the rib, figuring I would eventually make a lamp out of it. Would there be a even an outside chance I might find a set of fluid barrels for it so that I could restore the gun and safely shoot it with modern loads? MG
Murray Gaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

There is a very real possibility that you can shoot it as is with the proper low pressure loads. It should be inspected by someone who knows old doubles with Damascus barrels. Provided the barrel wall thickness is sufficient and there are no dents, cracks or bulges and any pitting isn't severe it may be okay to shoot. Composit barrels (including Damascus) have been shown to be as strong as the early fluid steel option of the day.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Yeap what Dean said..
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

one more agreement - I shoot damascus a lot,

that serial number is not in the book but almost all that are in the book in that range are D grades. Yours is only 90 numbers earlier than the D grade hammerless damascus gun I hunt with.

what is the barrell length?

post some pictures if you can. and go the the grade indentification pictures on the home page to compare engraving.

Please don't go the lamp route and ruin a nice old gun.
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

1891 CH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoDAk2012 014.jpg (277.1 KB, 5 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Murray Gaskins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey Guys,

Guys, Thank you for the responses. OH, regarding the "lamp route", I'd just have a stand up lamp with the gun leaning on it. I would not plan to run a wire in it or screw it down or anything like that. I'm pretty certain there is a special place for people who do things like that to nice old fire arms.
I do have some other Damascus guns but have not shot them. I will measure the barrels of the Parker, take some pictures, post to share and see what we come up with.
Take care, Murray
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Looking forward to the pictures.

the concern (for any old barrel - not just damascus) is conditon - is there serious pitting, have they been agressively honed and what is the wall thickness

If you have a qualified gunsmith in your area, ask them to give you the minium wall thickness.

if you have had it 20 years - back then even the best condition damascus were often let go cheaply as people were just beginning to appreciate them.

the first damcus Parker I saw was a GH given to a friend about 30-35 years ago by his uncle who owned a rural gun shop. the uncle took it in trade on a new gun (gave the guy $50 if I remember correctly and only because he was a regular customer) and then gave to my friend as a wall hanger with the warning to never shoot it.

Even then I realized it was still a quality gun, if I had know then what I know now about damascus, I could of had a heck of a deal.
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have 10 or so damascus barrel SxS's - Parkers and Remingtons - and shoot them every week at clays. All are shot with low pressure nitro loads. I never had a gunsmith check any of them. There are another six or so guys at my club who also shoot damascus SxS's. Don't remember any of them being checked. I'm not telling you to do the same, but if you know what to look for I wouldn't worry about shooting just about any Parker in nice shape. They were built pretty stout. As far as the damascus issuse goes, the Brits have always shot their old damascus guns, and still reproff them. Sherman Bell tried to blow up 20 or so wall hangers with damascus barrels useing Remington proof loads [ 18,000psi ] and couldn't do it. A normal shell has from 9 to 12,000psi. If you don't reload RST low pressure shells can be bought, or go to our reloading forum and learn to reload at around 5 to 7000psi . That would be black powder pressures. Shoot your gun, that's what it was built for.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Barrel Questions
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Murray Gaskins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrel Questions

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the response. I have some other Damascus guns that I have had for a long time, both American and English made. I will check them out as they are languishing. I can load the low pressure loads, so no problem there. I have a friend who shoots Damascus guns with low pressure loads, all the time when we are hunting. Again, thank you folks for the responses.

Take care, and Happy New Year. Murray
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

See following documentation:

1. Parker 1893 Catalog. States that all Parkers regardless of barrel composition are designed and constructed for shooting nitro powder. By the early 1890's smokeless powder had thoroughly taken hold in shooting such that many competition matches were smokeless only.

2. Parker Small Bore brochure. circa 1905. Provides Parker recommended loads. Note 1. these are speeds at 100 feet. Velocity when calculated to muzzle speeds runs to about 1150 . Note 2. A few years after this publication, Parker started patterning 16ga guns with 1 oz.loads.

3. Typical early 12ga hang tag documenting patterning and loads. Note for this and most 12ga guns regardless of whether fluid steel or damascus, the load is 3 drams equivalent of NITRO powder with 1 1/8 oz shot. The patterning load is the Parker preferred load for effectiveness.

I make no recommendations for your guns. However for mine, such as my usual 12 ga hunting 1910 GHE with the typical #2 frame damascus barrels , I shoot Fed or Rem 1 1/8 oz , 3 drams loads, after all that's what Parker patterned my gun with.

A person interested in loads and what was intended for the gun might also read Dave Noreen's fine post documenting the loads and pressures of vintage nitro loads, some of which are quite high. Parker did not publish any documents stating any cartridge pressure limits, although TPS does provide a table used by Parker which gives pressures for use and proof that are consistent with SAAMI standards.

Sometimes a person will see rather low pressure limits recommended. As near as I have been able to determine, these are based on British light 12 black powder loads, which in my opinion, are inappropriate for Parker limitations. Of course for shooting , the lighter the better consistent with hunting requirements. Parkers are not weak or insubstantial guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokeless 005.jpg (510.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg parker load table 008.jpg (86.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user4106_pic3491_1334669181.jpg (75.1 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hang Tag 136986 128874.pdf (347.7 KB, 8 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: