Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,538 Times in 4,621 Posts

Well, it being in Johnson’s book is just as good as there being no documentation.

And how many guns do we see today in families that are 2-3 generations down the line that are completely wrong though the owners refute that they are original and not refinished.

The only two Trojan grade guns that I have ever seen that were factory original blued were both prototypes. One built by hayes in 1928 for a proposed redesign and the other was the Trojan Skeet model intended to be offered by remington. Both hang in the Remington Museum.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

When the When the A.H. Fox Gun Co.’s Sterlingworth came out in 1910 it had a net selling price of $25. The price stayed at $25 into 1916, then climbed quickly to $55 by 1919. War time inflation. A.H. Fox Gun Co. reduced the price to $48 in 1922 and again to $36.50 in 1926. Workmanship of course declined. Parker Bros. introduced their Trojan Grade at $25.50 in 1912, but jumped to $27.50 for 1913. The Trojan’s price climbed like the Sterlingworth to $55. Parker Bros. kept the price and the quality of the Trojan high and sold about 33000 total. Fox began cutting the price of the Sterlingworth and sold well over 100000.

Fox offered a greater selection of barrel lengths on the Sterlingworth and the extra cost options of ejectors, twin ivory sights, a recoil pad, from 1914 onwards a Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Trigger, and from 1936 onwards a beavertail forearm.

Twenty-five dollars was the price point a lot of the companies seemed to shoot for. Hunter Arms Co., 00-Grade L.C. Smith had a net price of $25. Remington Arms Co.'s K-grade had a net price of $25 until they saw the light and moved forward with their John M. Browning designed Remington Autoloading Shotgun and their John D. Pedersen designed Remington Repeating Shotgun. Lefever Arms Co.'s Durston Special had a net price of $25.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I don't know for sure one way or the other. But I do know refinished Parkers and neither of those two guns appeared to be refinished. The finish was the same on the barrels as on the frame and it was somewhat dull. The gun owned by the Connecticut bar owner had checkering that was not worn or recut and the stock finish was the typical Parker shellac and oil. I believe I would have known if the checkering had been recut or the stock refinished. I have been restoring Parkers since I was 16 years old (52 years) and so I'm confident in my ability to spot a restored gun no matter how well done. But, as I said, I could be wrong. It's possible but I would be very surprised. In any event, its all a mystery to me. I wish there was something definitive one way or the other.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A quick word about Peter Johnson and his book Parker, America’s Finest Shotgun…….I bought the book a couple of years after it came out. I saw it on the shelf of a gun store and was enthralled that a book about Parkers had been written. I loved reading it because he said many things about the Parker that my grandfather had been telling me since I was old enough to know what they were. Johnson was an enthusiast and not a researcher. But his work was the first and he had access to Charlie Parker. I still enjoy reading the book today. It did spark a resurgence in interest of vintage American shotguns, most notably the Parker. I can forgive him for what we now know were mistakes. He was the first to write a book about Parkers long before the others and subsequent research. He and his book are to be commended. I will always hold Peter Johnson in high esteem.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Thanks for printing info
Unread 11-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
Charles McCallion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thanks for printing info

[QUOTE=Robin Lewis;258921]Hello Charlie's wife. It's nice to see you collecting information on a Trojan for him. I think I can help you with printing and further Parker knowledge.

First, printing. I will assume you are on a computer that is running MicroSoft? That's how I tried the following process.

While reading the page of interest, you should be able to "right click" the mouse on what you want to print and a "drop down box list" should appear with a "print" option to select.

OR, if that gives you unacceptable results; "left click" the mouse at a point where you want to have printed, then (keep the mouse button pressed) move the mouse to the end of where you want to print. The text background will change color for that selection. Now let up on the mouse left button but keep the mouse "aimed" at the selected text and then press the "right mouse" button and select "copy" on the drop down list. You now have it available to drop into a email, word processor or whatever computer tool you use to type in text. Just go there and click the right mouse button and select "paste" from the drop down list. The rest is up to you.... send an email and print it when it comes in or .... BTW. you can "cut & paste" several times to build up what you want to save into one text area.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I’m doing this on my iPhone and did end up copying and pasting info to a note and printing that. I guess I’ll switch to my laptop to make it easier.

Charlie has been collecting Parker’s and other shotguns such as l c Smith etc for a number of years. He switched to collectible handguns for the past 20 years or so but now is back to shotguns. You guys have been great with this blog. Thanks again.
Charles McCallion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles McCallion For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bless Mr. Johnson. He was among the first to get Parkers into print. Not a definitive source but at the time he was valuable for my needs.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Charles. you can always just copy/paste the selected text into Word, one reply at a time then save it as a word document and print it when you have all the info you want.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 4,752 Posts

Give me a little time and I will be selling a few of those rare and valuable black frame Trojans. I think about $2200 would be a fair price for a 12 gauge.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Give me a little time and I will be selling a few of those rare and valuable black frame Trojans. I think about $2200 would be a fair price for a 12 gauge.
I know you are kidding Bill but have you ever come across a plain black finish Trojan, that you don't believe was refinished. Or is it just me and Peter Johnson?
Unread 11-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Brown View Post
Bless Mr. Johnson. He was among the first to get Parkers into print. Not a definitive source but at the time he was valuable for my needs.
I believe I was 10 years old when I spotted the book in a gun store. Too young to hunt but I was very interested in Parkers and hunting. I had a subscription to the three popular sporting magazines of that day. I had never seen a grade higher than DHE and the pictures of the higher grades in the book enthralled me. I actually wore that book out and the pages started coming out so I bought another copy years later. I am on my third copy of that book.