Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'm getting closer all the time to putting a cookie sheet under at least my most used of my 5 presses. I'm tiring of chasing loose shot and powder around the bench top and the floor.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I'm getting closer all the time to putting a cookie sheet under at least my most used of my 5 presses. I'm tiring of chasing loose shot and powder around the bench top and the floor.
I did under the MEC9000. Drilled a hole through the tray and the counter below. Shot is just pushed down the hole into a bucket that is hanging from a hook.
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

If your 1/4" spacer went under the whole shell holder it would work better. The station for dropping everything and inserting the wad would also be higher. Also the shell holder has a lip for the last two stations keeping the shell located properly, but most of all the shell catching under a lip keeps it down where it belongs when lifting the handle after the final crimp. Many times, at least for me, the shell has stuck in the last die making removal hard when the shell slipped out of the shell holder. One time I had to order a new shell holder because the old one didn't work properly. I have also on the back side drilled a clearance hole for a 1/4X20 machine screw so one could be used to hold everything down and tight. The press plate already had a 1/4X20 tapped hole in it. If I remember correctly the spacer plate from Mec has a 1/4" clearance hole already in it. Bill, you could make it look a lot neater by just tracing around the shell holder, cutting out the wood and inserting the piece of wood underneath the shell holder. Just a idea.
Unread 12-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Hi Paul,

Good suggestion and I did just that.

Rick Losey/OH Osthaus loaned me his MEC Short Kit Plate and I traced it out on a piece of 1/4" inch thick maple and used that for awhile.

For some reason I went back to that Rube Goldberg Cheap and Dirty version pictured above. I don't load too many 2 1/2" 12 gauge loads so it does the job for me. And when I do, and as you pointed out, that last station for the final crimp, occasionally the loaded shell stays in the top piece but easily comes out.

I just went looking for that 1/4" thick wood simulated MEC piece that I made but couldn't find it. You got me motivated to try and find it and try that again.

For Science, if nothing else.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post: