Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Lefever trivia
Unread 10-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,218 Posts

Default Lefever trivia

First pic shows how little rotation of the "compensating screw" it took to put these Lefever barrels back on the face. Barrels were .003" off as measured with a steel feeler gauge. That black mark on the knuckle shows the center of the screw slot before turning it to tightening the barrels. GREAT DESIGN by Uncle Dan! So much easier than getting into a rejointing. Yeah I know .003" isn't that much and I've seen gents shooting double guns with way more than that, but for me the barrels are on the face or they I'll get them there.

Second one shows the tubes on a really nice 1908 Lefever G Grade. Kind of a neat story. The gun was found by a plumber doing work in a home. He made an offer and left with the old unsafe Damascus gun. ….

Can anyone please identify this pattern?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1895.jpg (192.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1897.jpg (313.5 KB, 11 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,206 Times in 12,371 Posts

I've seen that pattern called both "stars & stripes" and "American Flag Bunting" or just "American Flag".

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Frank, there is a high incidence of "Plumber's Luck" in finding great guns. Years ago a local plumber in MD sent his helper upstairs in an old house whose hot air heating system they had just upgraded, with instructions for the helper to check the airflow through the vents in all the rooms on the second and third floor.

The helper reported "all good" except for a bedroom on the third floor, where the floor register was blocked by a long cardboard box that the helper was afraid to move because "it had some kind of gun in it." Our plumber friend went upstairs and found a Parker VHE .410 in the box that had a rubber recoil pad that had been literally melted into a puddle from years of heated air under it.

Out friend displayed the gun for years at shows, primarily for the oddity of the melted pad, which looked like something in a Dali painting. He finally sold the gun at the Allentown PA show in a package deal along with a very nice DHE 20 gauge to a man who turned out to be a DuPont executive from Wilmington DE and was on the hunt for "good Parkers."
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I've seen that pattern called both "stars & stripes" and "American Flag Bunting" or just "American Flag".

agreed -

if you search for "flag pattern damascus barrels" you find several examples

i am in awe of the skill it must have taken to make that design show up so evenly

what a great find
Unread 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

That pattern is called ETOILE 3.B.P. on the Remington Arms Co.'s Damascus salesman's sample and appeared quite regularly on C-/CE-Grade Remington Hammerless Doubles.

That pattern was used on B-Grade Baltimore Arms Co. guns. Lefever Arms Co. bought a load of pairs of rough tubes at the receiver's sale of Baltimore Arms Co. in late 1904.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Frank, how was the effort to turn the screw? I never had to do anything to my Lefevers (yet) so I'm just curious. I also see no buggered slot so you definitely used a perfect fitting screw driver.

Also sweet barrels. Not uncommon to see higher grade Damascus pattern and sometimes higher grade wood on lower grade Lefever's.

Frank
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,218 Posts

Frank, I heated the slot end of the screw using a very small brazing tip on an oxyacetylene torch. Careful to just turn it a hint of light straw (< 300 deg F). The frame was held horizontal in hardwood padded bench vice. After cooling, the screw turned quite easily using a #6 Brownells driver tip in an extension, pushed in with body weight and turned with an 18" double end tap wrench.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: