Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Memeber from North Texas
Unread 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Jack Morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Memeber from North Texas

Hi all,
Hoping to visit some about an old Parker gun I own. Nice to be here.
Thanks to all.
Jack Morgan
Jack Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Morgan For Your Post:
Welcome, we love to see pictures & other details.
Unread 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
John Knobelsdorf II
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Welcome, we love to see pictures & other details.

Glad you are letting yourself be known. We share your interest here, almost as much as you do.

Please tell and show us more. Pictures (as many as possible) are great and not too hard to upload. Especially of the flats or water table. There is good guidance on pictures and many other things on the home page.

Any history (family or otherwise) about the Parker is a big enhancement.

Looking forward to seeing what you share here. Either in this part of the forum or in General Discussion (or wherever you feel is the right place).

Meghan Superczynski, for Boss Shotshells, Bridgman, Michigan
John Knobelsdorf II is offline   Reply With Quote
North Texas first timer
Unread 09-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Jack Morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default North Texas first timer

I appreciate the welcome wagon, thank you much. I'm sure I've figured this out but I had at one time a complete VH 12 gauge that someone had tried to make a trap gun out of the gun, but at some point in its life it got hit with a .380 bullet right in the barrel. An AD into the safe. I took the gun in hopes I could maybe get the barrel dent pushed out so I sent it off to Mr. Del Grego, and unfortunately it would not pass the blast test. Bye bye barrel. So, its been sitting in my safe for years. Now, I have misplaced the serial numbered beaver tail forend, probably somewhere in one of the safes at the bottom. Anyhow, I thought I'd maybe look for a barrel to replace that one, Its a 1 1/2 size. But what I believe is it would be more practical to just buy a reasonably priced VH from a reputable dealer, with original wood and matching serial numbers. So, now I have this receiver that seems to have really nice case colors on it, wood definitely not Parker but ok. Thought Id see if someone had either a barrel for sale or if they would like to have that receiver and make a project out of it. Its taking up space and I'd like to move it on. Here is the receiver and stock attached. Any advice would be helpful. Update, found the forend. Updated pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker1.jpg (526.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg parker4.jpg (527.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg parkerforend.jpg (525.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Jack Morgan; 09-29-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Unread 09-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome ,looks like a Miller single trigger . Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you
Unread 09-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Jack Morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thank you

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, Miller trigger. Woods a little extravagant but if I could find a barrel maybe make a shooter out of it. Problem is it would have to be fitted so the cost of the barrel plus the gunsmith, don't know if its worth it. It was a re do anyway. Probably could buy a VH and come out better. All matching serial numbers and the correct wood. But, I hate to just get rid of the parts. I like the way the case color was redone on it. Don't think that's factory.
Going forward.
Unread 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
John Knobelsdorf II
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Going forward.

Thank you for sharing pictures and the story. It’s a shame about the dent in the barrel. Is there an educational story about how it came to be hit with a .380? I’m always interested in learning from someone else’s experience.

Feels great to know that the barrels got sent off and evaluated for you at the DelGrego shop. It may not be good news, but at least the information would help move me on to the best result for myself.

What you have to work with is clearly attractive and I can well imagine it has good value for you or somebody else.

Right now I can see two ways forward (if this were mine).

- Find a gunsmith with the capability of fitting replacement barrels. Get his cost estimate. This would be a new experience for me. Then evaluate whether the benefits justify the cost. If there is any family heirloom value, then I would be willing to spend more money. That would be for my own enjoyment. From here on out it is going to be a Parker to shoot and have fun with.

- Then, if the cost for replacement barrels and their fitting turns out to be more than it’s worth, I would offer it up here or in one of the online websites for auction sales. Letting go of this as a distraction in my life.

Meghan Superczynski, for Boss Shotshells, Bridgman, Michigan
John Knobelsdorf II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

But to offer it for sale on this website one must be a paid PGCA member, either annual or lifetime.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Jack Morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you guys for the welcome and the opinions on this deal. The .380 hit was a bad day. About 25 years ago, I had taken my .380 out of the night stand that had a clip of rounds in it, sat for a long time on the shelf in the safe. Was headed to my farm for hunting season and I picked that gun up and rather than dropping the clip I racked it, pointed it into the safe and pow. I made an awful mistake, nearly ruined me at the time for collecting. I have been a safety nut since I was a kid. Treat all as if loaded. It was a shot in a million, hit that barrel just right. Hate to even think about that day. That gun was given to my Dad a long time ago as favor done for someone. Its not an heirloom, just been in the back of one of the safes because I didn't even want to look at it. The time has come to deal with it. Sent the barrel to Larry DelGrego and had it blast tested. He thought at first he'd be able to pull the dent, but it wouldn't pass the test. Hate to reminisce about a bad accident but it happened. If there's a lesson learned, keep your mind in the game and don't ever assume. And, always point them down range.
Try Kirk Merrington
Unread 10-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Try Kirk Merrington

I don't know how much original barrel you have left but Mr. Merrington may be able to sleeve or repair the original barrels.
https://www.merringtonfineguns.com/

The best money you can spend is the $40. for membership. It gives you access to members only areas where many guns and parts are offered. Good luck with your project. , Joe
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Jack Morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Absolutely, support for this site is well worth it. Very good cause. I joined and paid.
Looking forward to looking a learning about Parker shotguns. Thanks for all the help.