Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #31
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

A lot of good points have been made but a future sxs enthusiast has to be just that enthusiastic about these guns. I didn't start out with Parkers and Pre64 M70's but the enthusiasm for them came from reading about them and with the Parkers my Grandfather shot s lot of SXS's but the Parker was his favorite according to my Mom who would tell me about him. He died before I was born but the lure of the Parker was fostered by my mother.

I believe the market for a lot of things (unless I'm buying them) is somewhat soft and that's due to several factors both economic and social. I have given much thought lately to thinning the guns. I don't really need the money but what do I need 40 M70's many in duplicate calibers or 15 or so 16's & 20's.for? Like Gary said there are guns in the safe that haven't seen the light of day in a decade. I have no family to leave them to so I might just as well sell them at least I have an idea of their value.

IMHO a person needs to have a desire to appreciate the craftsmanship of something that is no longer made be it a Parker, Winchester or a nice piece of solid oak furniture. My wife and I like antique furniture and there is a piece at a local shop that I would love to have but there is just no room for it.

At the end of the day I like my old guns and if there is something I want I'll buy it. I'll sell what I sell and die with the rest of them I guess.
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #32
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

My two oldest grandsons are nationally ranked sporting clays shooters, and hardly know how to look down a set of S x S barrels. My pumps and S x S guns are nothing but a curiosity to them
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #33
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

all i need is one more parker...i too believe thatinterest in old collectable items are slowing down...remember the big crowds that use to be at the drag strips there pretty thin at our track...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #34
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

The argument could be made that there was a "bubble" that burst and Parker values have yet to recover. Casual buyers and late comers to the Parker gun have lost interest and are trying to get some of their money back. The internet drove up prices and created a buzz that some tried to cash in on, who are now left holding the bag and dumping their guns. Small gauge guns are in demand, but even those prices seem to becoming ridiculous IMO. A bubble in small gauge guns? All these things have a cycle. Demand comes and goes.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Old Bird Odd Duck
Unread 01-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #35
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Old Bird Odd Duck

It seems like when I go hunting these days I am the odd Duck with a gun that is nearly twice my age and I just turned 70. I agree with what you are saying the new hunters are more interested in horsepower and glitz not beauty or patina that was borne through caring hands. Everytime I'm in the field these days and I'm not with fellow SS hunters I am surrounded by plastic , carbon fiber and stamped metal if it even has any real metal on it. When I show up with a classic double like we all share passion for it takes a person pushing 50 to even ask "What's That" and then they may perk up to a response of it's a Parker, Model 21 ,LC or Ithaca. Something about shooting these old guns that hell most of the time don't even fit us modern frames makes me feel special and privileged to own and carry on the life of that fine piece of equipment. My last trip abroad was purposely made to do what the old explorers did and that I read about as a kid. that was to carry around a double barreled 12 pound 125 year old gun with hammers and shoot a 2000lb Cape Buffalo. Done just as dead as with a plastic stocked 416 Remington. As I preached in the article "American Heritage My Parker " I hope we can reach enough young hunters to carry the torch and handoff to the next generation. Too long winded I know but it's been on my mind as well as the rest of the readership. Thanks
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #36
fred
PGCA Member

Member Info

My guns are shooters. That's what I bought them for. I enjoy having them and using them. In the aggregate they will be worth more than I've paid and in the meantime I've had the pleasure of their company.
Christian Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Christian Gish For Your Post:
Hope
Unread 01-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #37
Dean Hanson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Hope

Hello to all, As you can see I am a Lifetime member of this wonderful association. I maybe the last of my generation to be given a Parker, and instead of selling it, found a new and much needed lifetime hobby. That black, cold, intimidating, heavy, scary, shotgun at the top of my fathers gun rack gave me new life. For those of you who fear that our passion and love for these beautiful works of art will be simply become extinct, I give you Dean and Matthew Hanson. Two brothers, 45 and 52, who have taken up the Parker pride in full force. We are only two, but if we influence two.... and they influence two... well? The hunters are dwindling in numbers and yes collectors will probably own the high grade Parkers, but our VH's will go out shooting. I will probably never own a "collector" Parker, but if I did, I would shoot the living daylights out of it. Appreciate what we have. I listen to Russ, Charlie, Dean, George, Brad, Mills, Josh, Brian, John, Bill, Gary, Destry, Robin, and well, all you guys. I don't post a whole lot, but this thread, well... I will try my best to bleed Parker case colors to any and all who want to see the best. My Fathers 10 gauge is in my care, for now, I will find a new caregiver when the time comes. I will be happy to do it!!!

Deano
Dean H Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dean H Hanson For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #38
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pellegrini View Post
Mr. Campbell,
A reply to your question of an update on the youth program. The message I received was that the board of directors stated that the PGCA is a "collectors" association NOT a shooting association. Therefore that was as far as the youth program went.

I, personally, am of the opinion that if we can't or won't involve younger folks, even the youth, in the shooting of these fine old guns, then we have lost them. The guns need to be appreciated for what they can do and what the shooter can do with them. Along with an appreciation for the capabilities of the gun will come a respect and even a reverence that just might morph into the collecting aspect of it all. But it needs to begin with the use and shooting of them.

Me. Pellegrini, I fear we are missing part of the conversation that lead to that statement... I wonder if - without including anyone's name - you might let us read the entire conversation you had?

Best, Dean

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #39
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a table at a gun show in Chantilly Virginia and see the decline in the dealers with tables with high end guns our better dealer have left and now we have people selling fudge,beef jerky,eye class's and pickles. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

The dealer drop-off at gun shows, I have been told by dealers themselves, is because so many of them do much better selling guns from their Internet sites. That's without having to pack loads of guns and related equipment halfway across the country. It's a matter of simple economics.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: