Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Ed, Francis is trying to say that cut barrels substantially destroy the collector market aspects of Parkers unless there are significantly extenuating circumstances. And that there are lots of uncut barrel alternatives in the present market at reasonable prices. There are plenty of cut barrel Parkers that are well used and well appreciated by their owners for open choke shooting; quail, grouse, woodcock, close in ducks, that sort of thing.

So if that is what you are looking for, a cut barrel Parker is not a bad idea, and you may have guests that need a borrowed gun, and why not?

If you need a long range fowler, there are plenty of full choke guns available, also at reasonable prices, and they won't be a "but" gun. Your area and island down there has a rich tradition of fine Parkers and fine fowling. Love to see some photos.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Change a choke
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
EMcILHENNY
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Change a choke

I am.I live here at Avery Island.Our factory is here and has been since 1868.We are still family owned and run.My great grandfather,also named Edmund,was the inventor.Please use more of the sauce.I want to buy some more Parkers.I killed my first duck with a DHE 20.Shot at the lead Ring neck and hit the 5th in line .
Edmund McIlhenny is offline   Reply With Quote
I shall do that indeed, Ed!
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I shall do that indeed, Ed!

I will admit, I have been tempted by Frank's RH sauce- but as I go by Francis here, and not Frances or Frank, I will stick with the Best--your product. I am a M12 man at heart, but do own and shoot 12 gauge Parkers and LC Smiths as well. I am also a blues (Mississippi Delta) and Cajun music man- I play guitar and also dobro- played for a Cajun dance with a new group last Saturday- after a great potluck- rice paliff, beans and rice, okra, turnip greens, three styles of jambalya, and in honor of the late Hank Williams, even crawfish pie. So the word about the great good things from the Pelican State has spread up Nawth--

I see quite a few "using Parkers" mainly 12 bores in my travels, so if you are looking for something, send me a PM here and if I can help you, I will be most pleased to do so.

I was 12 when I shot my first duck- My dad and grandfather gave me a 20 gauge Model 12 field gun- 28" mod for my 11th birthday (I still have it) Dad and I were in our canoe on the arm of a point jutting into Grass Lake, opening day morning in October- no decoys, I had a 3 shot plug in my 20- Dad had his 12 gauge Model 12 Tournament Grade 30" full solid rib and was sitting in the back seat.

Dawn came in on a pinkish blush in the East, the cloud cover was low, and I heard a "swissssh-" behind me- I brought up the M12- 5 bluewing teal were flying in line- like barnyard geese following their leader- I swung the muzzle a "mile to Mexico" ahead of the lead bird and hit the trigger, and the fourth bird in the "string" collapsed onto the choppy water- the other four were probably in Topeka when I recovered- Dad said to me: "Nice shooting, Son"- He never asked me which bird I had picked out either!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

My first duck was also a ringneck Drake - Remmie 11-48 20 gauge with a pickle on the front end It's one of the few ducks I can still remember clearly. Taking my grandson out this Sunday for his second hunt. (Didn't shoot the first time.) Hopefully, his memories will be as vivid.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensal Rise View Post
EMc:
It's just my opinion, but a cut barrel Parker has one strike against it. A cut barrel Parker with choke tubes has three. I'd send your barrels to Kirk Merrington and see if he can get some choke back for you. It won't be "Full" however. Then again, nobody really needs Full choke. I've broken every target on my sporting course with true cylinder (just not in the same round).

Best, Kensal
I agree. When Churchill made his 25" guns, they became, for a while, all the rage. We see lots of Win 21's with those stubby tubes. I have an SKB SXS with 26"ers and it's not my favorite shotgun.

With these new "spreader" shells I'm thinking that we can get a lot of variety with tightly choked guns. Put the spreader shells in one pocket and regular non-spreaders in the other. No need to change chokes, just change shells. Do any of you guys do this?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Yup...I do
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund McIlhenny View Post
I am.I live here at Avery Island.Our factory is here and has been since 1868.We are still family owned and run.My great grandfather,also named Edmund,was the inventor.Please use more of the sauce.I want to buy some more Parkers.I killed my first duck with a DHE 20.Shot at the lead Ring neck and hit the 5th in line .
Are you the Marine McIlhenny?

I visited your Avery Island plant a few years ago. What a wonderful place! I finally could buy a bottle of Tobasco sauce that was large enough to last me for a few months. You see I gob that stuff on nearly everything that I eat.

I was astounded by the beauty and birds on Avery Island. Just wonderful. Keep making your wonderful sauce. Without it I'd starve.
Other uses for it too-
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Other uses for it too-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Are you the Marine McIlhenny?

I visited your Avery Island plant a few years ago. What a wonderful place! I finally could buy a bottle of Tobasco sauce that was large enough to last me for a few months. You see I gob that stuff on nearly everything that I eat.

I was astounded by the beauty and birds on Avery Island. Just wonderful. Keep making your wonderful sauce. Without it I'd starve.
-- We tried to get Tabasco sauce for the k-rats "In country"- because, if you sprinkled it on anything in a can- then spread it on your "John Wayne" crackers- you knew it was OK to eat- as the heat "burned off" any bad microbes, etc. However, the Gooks had an item called "Nuke-Mon'-- canned fish gust and birds eyes I guess- you would have to cover that crap with an ocean of Tabasco to make it edible- maybe??
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
-- We tried to get Tabasco sauce for the k-rats "In country"- because, if you sprinkled it on anything in a can- then spread it on your "John Wayne" crackers- you knew it was OK to eat- as the heat "burned off" any bad microbes, etc. However, the Gooks had an item called "Nuke-Mon'-- canned fish gust and birds eyes I guess- you would have to cover that crap with an ocean of Tabasco to make it edible- maybe??
Today, or at least when they first came out, these new MRE's (Meals rejected by Ethopians) had a little bottle of Tobasco sauce in there. I used to put the hot stuff on C-Rats. They needed a kick. I can't recall if I ever ate a K-Rat or not. For those of us who survived in C's we recall that wonderful fruit salad. Came in a can. When they came out with MRE's they made the stuff freeze dried, so it was a cake that you had to add water in, in your canteen cup. Trouble was, the water often tasted like heck and had little things wiggling in it.

Yeah, nuk mon. It was made of fermented fish guts I think. Didn't they bury the stuff until it got "good". The Ancient Romans ate a similar sauce, they called it galloum. I was made of fermented fish guts. Historians think it was similar to the god awful goo they ate in Vietnam. Ever experience that Korean kempshe? Just terrible.

Now lets talk how to cook a duck! I do it very hot and put a sweet sauce on it. Still not my favorite meal however. In Kansas where the ducks were grain fed they were a lot better than here, where theyhave a diet of slugs and seaweed.
How to cook ducks with ?? dietary habits--
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default How to cook ducks with ?? dietary habits--

Whether you pick or skin your ducks- try this- Marinade in Vernor's ginger ale for 48 hours- the ginger in it works wonders- then stuff the cavities with good wet sauerkraut and lace up to seal that in-- cover the breasts with cheap cut bacon peppered and then sprinkled with brown sugar- you can even add apple slices to the sauerkraut if you wish- I do--cook in a covered Pyrex dish- I use Reynolds wrap to seal the birds and keep in moisture- about 45 minutes to 1 hour at preheated 500 degree over- high heat over a shorter time span (rather than 325 degrees for hours as per the Thanksgiving Day Turkey) is the secret- I like cold Ginger schnapps as a "table wine" with this recipe- wild rice with mushrooms, Caesar salad, and raisin laced rum pudding lit up with Cognac for dessert with Cajun chicory coffee- Yasss indeeedy!!