Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Cheap Custom
Unread 12-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Default Cheap Custom

I owned a Baby Frame 28 Ga Beretta 686 Special several years ago and sold it. Since then I have regretted it. Not long ago, I came across the same gun on GB but built on a 20 ga size frame. It had double triggers, so I decided it was time to replace the old pne. Nice gun and in good shape. I always thought that this gun had the most pleasing engraving of all the entry level Berettas I have handled.

After looking it over I realized I had previously purchased a second barrel in 28 ga from Coles for a 20 gauge SP gun I own. I tried it and it fit perfectly; just like the fit on my 20 ga gun. The forearm also worked correctly. I thought they would make a great 2 barrel hunting set.

I then checked eBay and found that Coles sells surplus stocks through eBay. They had a 687 EELL stock listed for $100 complete with English grip.
Given the price, I ordered it to see if I could somehow mate them.

The stock fit my frame with just a little inletting scraping. I already had a Beretta butt plate that fit the stock. I had to deepen the stock bolt hole by 1/2" for a better fit. I was please to note that the new stock had 1/2" more length, 1/2" less DAH, and 1/2" more cast off. The result was a much better fit for me.

I started by mounting the stock, taping over the inlet with wide heavy tape, cutting out templates then pasting them on a chunk of English walnut. I slabbed off pieces 1/4" thick and bandsawed the fillers to a point close to the template lines. Working with a dremel carver, then sandpaper, I worked them down to a good fit in the sideplate recesses. Once glued into place, I used a guitar maker's detail plane to shave them down to a point where I just cut the tape off the inserts but not off the original cheek surfaces. I then carefully worked with a scraper and sandpaper until I had removed just the finish on the original cheek surfaces.

I used gel stain to blend in the colors, then put on 3 quick coats of finish. The last picture shows the gun as it exists now. My plan is to blend in the colors a little more then put on a final finish. It should make a great 2 barrel combo, with the difference in weight and balance between the light original barrels and the newer longer and heavier Sporting barrels. The are 28" and 30" but the feel and performance are much different. As a bonus, I now have another dual trigger O/U for the stable.

Once the gun is finished, I will include it the next time I send something to the checkerer. I am going to have the cheeks checkered, with a panel added from the back of the action to the glue line of the new inset panels. I will have the border run directly over the glue line and darken the checkered panel. That should hide the inset panels completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1.jpg (508.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg B2.jpg (512.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg B3.jpg (438.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg B4.jpg (515.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg B5.jpg (491.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg B6.jpg (242.4 KB, 9 views)
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 03:48 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,237 Times in 12,377 Posts

Nice Art!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Those baby frame Beretta 28g are amazing and fun. And double triggers on that one, wow. I think ALL guns that are O/U or SxS should have double triggers and NO choke tubes. Simplify.
Unread 12-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #4
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Andy

This one is the regular 20 frame. My original one was a Baby Frame. They are really hard to find on the used market. The only way to tell them apart is measure the frame thickness. I believe there is 1/16" difference in thickness. It takes a set of calipers to measure for sure. The 28 ga is available in both sizes. It can be paired with either the 20 or 410. I only went to the trouble here because I already had a 20 SP and could use all three barrels. I just can't envision using the 410 much.

There is an older Beretta marked Sauer-Beretta on GI right now that has double triggers.
Unread 12-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sweet ! Play the lottery for me ! Stay indoors during thunderstorms ! Please
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2023, 07:54 AM   #6
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Nicely done!
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2023, 08:13 AM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Andy

This one is the regular 20 frame. My original one was a Baby Frame. They are really hard to find on the used market. The only way to tell them apart is measure the frame thickness. I believe there is 1/16" difference in thickness. It takes a set of calipers to measure for sure. The 28 ga is available in both sizes. It can be paired with either the 20 or 410. I only went to the trouble here because I already had a 20 SP and could use all three barrels. I just can't envision using the 410 much.

There is an older Beretta marked Sauer-Beretta on GI right now that has double triggers.
I understood that from your post Art and I have a friend with a baby frame. It's a dandy woodcock gun. He's had it many many years and he's going to leave it to his youngest grand daughter.
Unread 12-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #8
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

The 28 Baby Frame I had was a 26" fixed barrel IC/M. Several small women and kids learned to shoot using low pressure loads in it due to it's weight and balance given their body size and weight.
Unread 12-20-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

The Lovely Linda inherited a nice little 686 26" 20 gauge from her late husband. As time went on, I found a nice straight grip stock for it as well as a set of 28" 28 gauge barrels, with forend. It is one great package for any kind of hunting when a light gun is called for. In the eighties and nineties, Beretta USA liquidated their overstocks and blems at their clay target range pro shop in Maryland. Linda's 686 came from that factory outlet shop. The prices were very friendly. I have an SO2 light pigeon gun that cost me $2100 and a custom made 682X 20 gauge 30" step rib trap for $1200. Back then, no one wanted such a weird gun. No more of that foolishness, not for Beretta anyway.

'
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #10
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have an SO2 from 1932 I bought from one of the members here. I think it is one of the most dynamic and shootable guns I have ever owned or handled.