Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

C.G. Bonehill Need Age
Unread 05-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default C.G. Bonehill Need Age

Hi Folks,

I recently acquired a C.G. Bonehill sidelock ejector SxS shotgun w/ 30" barrels. The gun is in really great condition. I love the gun and I was trying to find out it's approximate age, but, I am having no luck. The midrib says C.G. Bonehill Birmingham. The serial # is 145480. Can anyone tell me approximately when this gun was made? The barrel flats are stamped with all appropriate Birmingham proof marks. They are proofed for 2 3/4" shells, are stamped for Nitro powder and are proofed for 1 1/4 oz of shot. Perhaps, this information may help in dating this gun. Also, can anyone tell me any history on this maker? Information that I am finding on this maker on the web seems to be rather little. Thank you in advance for any information that you can supply me.
Jerry Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

You might want to post your request also over on the Doublegun website. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

http://doublegunshop.com/forums
Unread 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

you may be able to narrow it down with the proof marks

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Christopher George "C. G." Bonehill was a Birmingham maker who prided himself in introducing machine-made guns to the trade. Well, mostly machine made. There was a bit of hand fitting.

His famous line was that "the last few strokes of the file make the perfect fit. And the last few strokes remain" [with a machine made gun]

His biggest market was the US. And he sold a LOT of guns there. They were considered low to mid quality guns. The McKinley Tariff about killed his US business however. Records for this maker have been lost or destroyed.

About the best you can do is study the proof marks and compare to the dates they were applied.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

Update:

Through research of the proof stamps on the barrel flats of the Bonehill I have been able to determine that the barrels were proofed at the Birmingham proof house in 1931. So, for a lack of any other clues, in my mind I have chosen to believe that my gun was built circa 1931. Thanks to all that have given me information.
Jerry Parise is offline   Reply With Quote