Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 09-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bright-Boys work best and are available at most industrial supply houses such as MSC or possibly Brownells . They leave a bright shiny surface and remove no measurable amount of metal. Last price I paid was $15 EACH.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Budgeon View Post
Bright-Boys work best and are available at most industrial supply houses such as MSC or possibly Brownells . They leave a bright shiny surface and remove no measurable amount of metal. Last price I paid was $15 EACH.
Not sure a bright shiny surface is what I want. One reason that I used naval jelly is that it leaves a dull finish which I would brighten a touch with 0000 steel wool. No loss of metal and the lugs look like they should.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tom if a Bright-Boy makes a surface to shiny for you, take your own advice and dull it down with 0000 steel wool or scotchbrite will even work better. As for naval jelly, you are much braver than myself. I don't want that stuff near a set of barrels I just paid several hundred dollars to have reblued!
Unread 09-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No need to dull down, I prefer it not to be bright in the first place. I do all my own restoration work so for me, a mistake with navel jelly means only doing the job over, not losing money. Not sure why you would have to do anything to your barrels after getting them back from a restorer. If you do, the job was incomplete. In all of my years of doing barrels, I have never had a mistake with navel jelly. Not that it couldn't happen but it hasn't yet. And I don't expect that it will going forward. But I agree that Brian's method is safer and will probably try it with my next batch of barrels. But maybe not, I've been using navel jelly and 0000 to get the look I want, without removing metal, for many years.
Unread 09-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Just one more thing. Any blemish caused by navel jelly can be fixed without taking the barrels down and doing the job all over again. I can re-rust blue the blemish and make it blend in with the rest of the finish. Not a big deal. I would do it the same way I would with original finish barrels that have bare spots. I don't remove original finish, just rust blue and blend with the original finish.
Unread 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #16
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tom, 2 points, one I polish my own barrels and do my own detail work including the bores. the bluer does the rust bluing, period. Secondly the fact that you do your own rust bluing which offers you options but doesn't offer a forum reader who just spent $500 for his reblued barrels those same options.
Unread 09-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I responded to a question and told my method, pure and simple. It's as simple as that. Some may chose to use my method and some may chose to use the safer method that Brian uses. I would recommend that those without a lot of experience use Brian's method. It certainly is safer and the results are probably excellent. I'm sure they are or Brian wouldn't do it that way. The basics are the same but most restorers have their own techniques and methods. I certainly do.

If someone is paying $500 for a rust blue job, then the job should be complete and not something that has to be played with after the barrels are returned. If I was paying for a job and the lugs weren't properly treated, I would send it back for the job to be completed. I can't imagine a competent restorer not doing clean up after the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

That is right Tom.

If your contractor for barrel bluing is worth his salt, they should come back to you with the proper areas polished off already, leaving you with nothing to do but put the barrels on your gun.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #19
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

On page 29 of the current Parker Pages resides a pair of grade 7 barrels that haven't had any of the rust blue removed from the barrel lug. Wonder if all 3 sets are that way? That picture lens a new perspective to the current discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post: