Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Recently Acquired-Info Requested
Unread 08-08-2023, 10:12 PM   #1
Jeff Haro
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Recently Acquired-Info Requested

Hello all. I have long been an admirer of classic doubles and own a few more modern examples but decided it was time to scratch the Parker itch. While a 20 or 16 gauge would be my preference, I decided to dip my toes in at the lower end of the budget. A recent online auction had what appeared to be a steal of a 12ga VH and I made an impulse bid and won. I had no grand visions of a highly collectible version, just wanted a solid example that I could hopefully shoot and enjoy while I figure out what to get next.
I knew by the photos that it had a recoil pad added and a stock cross bolt that did not appear original. I also suspected there was a good chance it had been shortened with barrels listed at 26 inches but took the plunge anyway.
Upon inspecting there are some characteristics that have me puzzled. The serial number on the trigger guard and action flat code to a 1900 version with a 'V' that I assume designates the grade. Serial #93xxx. Upon removal, the forend iron has a serial number that seems to trace to a 1902 model #108xxx. So it's a parts gun. No big deal as again, I feel I paid very little. The firing pin holes measure ~1.125 which I take to be a #2 frame.

The stock is straight-grained with a later recoil pad added. The LOP to the front trigger is 14 1/2 including pad and spacer or ~13 3/8 to the edge of the wood. There is a grip cap with no markings. I am not sure if it is an original stock as it seems to have less drop than I expected for a gun built in 1900 but there are the faintest remnants of checkering on the grip and around the forend iron that can be seen. Clearly both stock and forend have been refinished at some point and other than the lack of checkering, no other obvious issues. The wood to metal fit is pretty nice with no obvious gaps or sanded of corners. The aforementioned cross bolt right behind the action is interesting as I'm not sure of its purpose. It resemble the cross bolt you would expect to see at the lug area of a bolt action rifle stock. there are no obvious cracks or repairs in this area.

Here's where things get interesting. The barrels have none of what I understand to be standard Parker markings. The rib is swamped and completely smooth. No pattern and no markings of any sort. The barrel lug has no number to designate size unless it has been sanded off. The barrel flats have no markings whatsoever. The only markings on the bottom of the barrels are the number '554' on the left barrel ahead of the flat and what appears to be proof marks on the underside of each barrel. '554' does not match the last 3 of the serial number. I can't tell exactly what the characters are in the proof marks but there appears to be a star at the top of each. The barrels appear to be well fitted to the action and on face. The lever is well to the right. The barrel finish is exceptionally nice and looks newer than it should with no pitting and virtually no wear. If it is a refinish it is nicely done with no excess polishing or waves in the barrel. It gives the appearance of a rust blue but I can't be sure. The bores are immaculate. I expected it may be cut off at 26" but a crude measurement of the bores at the muzzle with calipers shows the right barrel at ~.710 and the left at ~.695. I know this is not the accurate way to measure chokes but it seems to indicate there are chokes. I am really puzzled by the lack of markings on the barrels but I can't imagine any other shotgun barrels being modified to fit a Parker and I don't think the marking are just polished off based on the depth of the number '554' that does remain.

Any insight to my mystery parts gun? Did Parker ever make barrels without marking the flats or the rib? Is is possible it was sent back to the factory to be re-barreled? Thanks for any info anyone wishes to share.

Last edited by Jeff Haro; 08-09-2023 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Added a photo
Jeff Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2023, 06:05 AM   #2
Jeff Haro
Forum Associate

Member Info

A little more investigation shows the number on the stock under the trigger guard matches so the original stock has been refinished.
Unread 08-09-2023, 06:07 AM   #3
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

i bought my 1st 10 gs with the same type spanner bolt in the stock. I remember see this gun for sale at the same time. After a few years i wanted to know if the stock had been repaired, when i removed stock there was no break or crack. I always wonder what happen to the 12 ga "twin" to the 10 ga.

scott
Unread 08-09-2023, 07:16 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

The gun has been rebarreled. The barrels are not factory original, but aftermarket.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 08-09-2023, 11:41 AM   #5
Jeff Haro
Forum Associate

Member Info

Interesting. Didn’t even suspect that aftermarket barrels were available. Any opinions on who made them or where they came from? Still trying to locate the proof marks to understand what I am working with. Thanks for your reply.
Unread 08-09-2023, 06:11 PM   #6
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

We has a thread on DoubleGun regarding replacement barrel in the 60s
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums...&Number=631801

It is possible that barrels marked similar to your were sent by Frank Lefever to Anton-Sodia-Ferlach

Could you please chalk this mark, and post an in-focus full size image - it may be the barrel maker's

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08-09-2023 at 07:12 PM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

That mark may be the Poldi steel lady
http://www.progetto.cz/la-bella-pold...ciaio/?lang=en

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-10-2023, 07:48 PM   #8
Jeff Haro
Forum Associate

Member Info

I can't find any chalk and this is about the best I could come up with.
The top is a star within a circle with a ragged border. I just can't quite describe the bottom portion of the mark other than it looks like a shield with 2 overlaying characters. It doesn't quite match the 'Poldi Lady' above.

Unread 08-11-2023, 11:49 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

The picture is out of focus. Chalk can be obtained from any neighborhood kid. I don't know how Lefever accessed barrels to fit, but my ten gauge Frank Lefever sleeved gun shows better workmanship and stamping of rib legends than do any of the pictured barrels. I have a set of Atlas barrels around here somewhere. I will see what proof marks are on those barrels. For you young guys who wonder why these Atlas and Lefever barrels are so scarce on the collector market, here goes. The price of these barrels is equal or more than the price of a medium condition V grade Parker at the time. End of story.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #10
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

The closest I could find was the Italian Gardone provisional proof for all guns, but it doesn't appear to match perfectly. Scroll down to the Italian marks in this link.
https://present5.com/proof-marks-and...markings-1880/
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post: