Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Info on a SXS
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Troy Hockensmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Info on a SXS

Hello,
Did an impulse buy on a gun and think by doing searches here it might be a hoax. No biggy as all education has tuition. Now I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck but I really don’t follow these old shotguns much and wasn’t aware of the pitfalls. I am however skeptical by nature and looked at it pretty hard. Either way it makes good western decor. It’s got a bunch of Wells Fargo markings and I have to admit, if someone was faking it they went to a lot of trouble. Then again, if it was Wells Fargo they went to a lot of trouble marking it as theirs.
Here goes on the description. It’s a Parker Brothers sXs with a 21” Laminated barrel. That’s one heavy set of barrels. The Frame size is a 3 so that nails it down as a 10 Gauge. Serial# is 76280 and it matches the fore stock. That makes the manufacture in 1892. There are two badges on it. A larger one on the right side of the stock that has Wells Fargo EXPRESS and 1894 on it. There is also a small one on the top of the stock just aft of the top lever. That one shows a lot of wear. There are several other markings in the wood that is all subject to debate if it’s authentic or not but there is enough to say someone had to have a lot of different stamps to do it. There are also two tiny little stamps on the water table that has WF&CO. Once again, all I can say is if someone faked it they went to a lot of trouble. Then again, if Wells Fargo marked it they went to a lot of trouble.
If anyone can fill in any blanks for this gun I’d appreciate it. Short of a letter that indicates it was sold to WF all we can do is speculate on their markings. Not sure I want to drop a bill to find out it wasn’t. Might just put it on the wall and talk about what could be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0533.JPG (102.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0534.JPG (104.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0536.JPG (106.9 KB, 10 views)
Troy Hockensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello Troy , and Welcome aboard !! In the Parker Serialization Book ,your Gun is listed as , { PT ,T ,0 , C ,10 , 32 } PT = P Grade " Grade 1 ,With ,T = Twist barrels , T = Top Action ,0 ,= No extras ,Ejectors etc. , C = Capped Pistol Grip Stock , 10 = Gauge , 32 = 32" Barrels ! With that said ,there are times the Serialization Book has mistakes in it ,or possibly WF ,did the gun to suit them ! We would all like to invite you to become a PGCA Member and with the $40.00 Membership fee ,there is a nice discount on purchasing a letter ! You will be able to Purchase a letter for $ 40.00 ,and will also have access to our " Guns For Sale section which will aide in the next purchase of another Parker Shotgun ! Best ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Troy Hockensmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you Russ. I was pretty sure the barrel had seen some "work".
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

You are quite Welcome Troy ,I believe we all figured the Barrels had seen some work ! Still ,wouldn't hurt to have a letter on the gun ,If you decide to display it on the wall as you have said ,you would have the info. on the gun ,some letters haven't much info. while others often have some very interesting facts about it ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Troy Hockensmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here is an additional photo of the left side of the stock. They went out of their way marking this one up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11062_left_stock_1.jpg (29.7 KB, 5 views)
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Troy Hockensmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hmm. That small badge just behind the top lever was something that had me looking hard at this as wells fargo. I see now a couple examples of it on some old parker guns and assume they original to the guns from parker. Was it put there by parker and was there a reason?
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Troy, The badge is a factory item. It was used for owners initials if they so chose to have it done.
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Troy Hockensmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you Dave.
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

One can only hope it's an authentic WF gun. Even if it isn't, it's one hell of a great wall hanger!!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I see one of these "Wells Fargo" guns at every hillbilly gun show. That's not meant as an insult, I'm a hillbilly myself. I'm afraid that 99.99999% of them are faked up. If they're a Parker and they don't letter or have some other kind of provenance to make them real then they're just what you see. An old sawed off shotgun that somebody has added markings to. I think if you'll search GunBroker you'll find several of various types for sale for everything from reasonable to ridiculous.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote