Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Purchase this gun?
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Old Leadshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Purchase this gun?

Hello everyone,
I am new to Parker guns and would like opinions on this gun before I deciide If I should purchase it. This is an 1887 hammer gun, with mirror bores, serial #51179, 30" 12 guage twist barrells, #1 frame and I believe 4 lb barrells. There is a slight wobble in the lockup, but so slight I missed it the first time checking out the gun. the barrells ring like a bell.
Pictures of this gun are in my album on this site entitled "considering this parker" In your opinion, what would be a fair price for this gun?
Cliff Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

A lot depends on the bore diameter and wall thickness. The gun appears like an average example in the poor pictures. The bore diameter in that era should be about .745 or a bit less. Four pound barrels should be in the thirties for wall thickness.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Old Leadshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

Did the best I could with the pictures, a difficult thing to do with the overhead lighting in the store. guess it will be another trip for the required measurements of the bore and wall thicknessw This is a learning experience, thanks for the info.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well its not in the book. I see no pattern on the barrels have they been blued ? If so be very careful .Have you taken a barrel wall thickness ? Mirror bores on a 0 grade may mean honing which may make it a true wall hanger . Did you weigh the barrels or go buy the weight on the barrels ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Old Leadshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
Well its not in the book. I see no pattern on the barrels have they been blued ? If so be very careful .Have you taken a barrel wall thickness ? Mirror bores on a 0 grade may mean honing which may make it a true wall hanger .
Thought I had mentioned it. Yes they are blued barrells however the barrells ring like a bell. Is there something else to look out for if they are blued? To my untrained eye, I do not see any sepreation in the rib if it was hot blued. Looking at the picture comparisons on the Tech page I put this as a #1 gun. I know the detail is poor in the pictures but they were taken in the store under very bad lighting for camera work.
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

It is Grade-0 and I don't see keels beneath the ribs which is usually an indication of cut barrels. Seems to be in average condition given its age and grade.
The barrels make the gun so be darn sure the barrel walls aren't too thin and that there is at least some choke remaining... depending on what you hope to shoot with it it may not have enough choke.
Be careful what you pay for it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Old Leadshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

What am I missing? How do you tell a 0 from a 1 grade? I am going by the pictures on this site of the different grades. I know it does not show up in the posted pictures, but there is a leaf or floral design around the side plate screws as well as one on the top barrell rib near the receiver or on it, just dont recall. i know it is tough to judge because of the pictures, but what would a gun be worth in this condition if the chokes and barrell wall thickness are all right? Or maybe I should just let it be untill I learn more about the parkers. thanks for the help
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

OK, from the pictures and nothing else $ 475.00 and I would not buy it from the pictures for that,now what do they want ? If the barrels are cut wait for another gun . IMHO. I just checked there is surviving records for this gun so a letter can be gotten for this gun and clear alot up for you /us $100.00 none member $40.00 PGCA member maybe a good investment
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Old Leadshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, that is what I wanted was a ball park figure. Too bad I cannot get better pictures to post. They are asking $800 but not knowing what exactly to look for in a parker, or what is a fair price for the condition of the gun, I have no clue. I learned something from these few posts and that is more valuable than making a mistake and learning the hard way. (getting tired of doing that) So a special thanks to all who posted.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

$800 usually buys a pretty good gun, without any problems, for an experienced Parker collector. The pictured gun may not be of any interest to such an experienced collector if it has any obvious problem.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: