Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

20 ga repro stock replacement
Unread 08-05-2023, 05:56 PM   #1
Paul Brannon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 20 ga repro stock replacement

I have a 20 ga reproduction and I measure the LOP as 14 3/4 where my other Parker’s, NID’s, and LC Smith measure 14 to 14 1/4. My question is whether, since all repro parts were standardized I believe, can the stock just be replaced with a shorter one? Of course this assumes that one could be found.
I believe I am measuring this correctly but in any case I am measuring the same on all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (486.0 KB, 16 views)
Paul Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #2
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,134 Posts

I would think it would be orders of magnitude easier to just shorten the original stock.
Unless of course you can find an original that will just bolt on.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

Yes. But the stock dimensions on the repros were pretty standardized. So you would have. A hard time finding anything different. Also, your gun is a double trigger. A single trigger repro is much more common and their stocks were even longer. So changes are that is what you will come across.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 08-05-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 470 Posts

Perhaps you should sell that ill fitting thing. 26" IC/Mod?
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2023, 10:58 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I have been lucky in finding replacement stocks for two of my repros.
Shortening the existing stock would perhaps entail finding a smaller skeleton buttplate and having all the work done to fit the buttplate and then checkering as well. Not a small job. I would opt for selling the gun and getting another that fits you or find a buttstock that suits you.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2023, 10:59 PM   #6
Paul Brannon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you, Mr. Dudley for your explanation and Dan, yes, 26 IC/Mod and no, I don’t believe I would be interested in selling. I have a 12 ga SS repro with double triggers as well that is shorter lop so I thought maybe they could have been originally ordered with a specified stock length. It works well enough for my abilities that the difference doesn’t really matter. I just kept noticing it and thought I would pose the question.
Unread 08-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #7
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brannon View Post
Thank you, Mr. Dudley for your explanation and Dan, yes, 26 IC/Mod and no, I don’t believe I would be interested in selling. I have a 12 ga SS repro with double triggers as well that is shorter lop so I thought maybe they could have been originally ordered with a specified stock length. It works well enough for my abilities that the difference doesn’t really matter. I just kept noticing it and thought I would pose the question.
I was just kidding Paul. As Brian mentioned you have a desirable gun. I have a 20 gauge repro 2 barrel set and the LOP to the single trigger is 14 5/8.
Unread 08-06-2023, 05:18 AM   #8
Paul Brannon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dan, I took it as kidding. I should have used an emoji so my response didn’t come back so seriously. Can’t put vocal inflection in print. As I said, it doesn’t bother me. It is just that I kept noticing it when it was in the rack next to others. It is a sweet gun and I am one of those that prefers the two triggers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Brannon For Your Post:
Unread 08-06-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brannon View Post
Dan, I took it as kidding. I should have used an emoji so my response didn’t come back so seriously. Can’t put vocal inflection in print. As I said, it doesn’t bother me. It is just that I kept noticing it when it was in the rack next to others. It is a sweet gun and I am one of those that prefers the two triggers.
I prefer 2 triggers as well Paul but had the opportunity to pick up a 2 barrel set so I took it even though it was a single trigger.
Unread 08-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #10
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Your repro has the less common longer length of pull than the standard 14 3/8" found on most repro's. I've passed on a few over the years just because they had the longer LOP and I didn't feel like I should alter one when someone needing it would make better use of it.

With that said. Just about any good stocker should be able to shorten yours for you. The skeleton butt plate can be pulled and re-fit with it possibly needing re-blued after some slight alteration to the metal. The checkered part is an insert anyway and should either be able to be cut-off & reused or a new one made.

The bottom line is it only takes money & time no matter what you do. Finding a new stock or a different gun is time consuming and might be difficult. Having the LOP shortened will take some cash with a potential long wait depending on the craftsman doing the work, but it might be the best way to go if you really like the gun you presently have.

I know if were mine & I planned on it being a shooter, the first thing I would do is take it to the range and shoot it. You might find that you can shoot it well just the way it is. Sometimes we have a tendancy to over-think these type of things.

Good luck with it either way.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post: