Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,235 Times in 2,414 Posts

You got a good deal Rick. Nice stick of wood, interesting engraving and the dimensions look shootable.
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Chances are those firing pins were never intended to have springs. Just clean them out/up. In such guns, the shape of the pin tip was supposed to cam the pin back into its recess.

And ... it took those barrels at least 150 years to get that aged look. Why tart them up if the rest of the gun looks OK? The pattern shows just fine to me.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,151 Times in 3,258 Posts

thanks John, i have not had one that did not have springs.

and I agree about "tarting it up"- when I first saw it in dim lighting the pattern did not show, so the plan was to redo it. but a quick rub with a frontier pad and #9 to see how much was just dirt showed barrel color over almost the entire length. The whole gun just needs a good cleaning and some exercise .
Unread 04-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

well - took advantage of a nice day and set about removing what I thought was going to be oil from the stock. after removing the locks i discovered the inside of the inletting was bright and clean. so - some Murphy's oil soap and elbow grease and a very soft tooth brush in the checkering to remove over a hundred years of crud and i was very happy with the results. Nothing more needs to be done with the wood. A little more cleanup on the out side of the barrels with Hoppes 9 and a frontier pad and the pattern is even better, I may put a coat of Formby's tung oil on the barrels but that would be all.

John was right - no striker springs - just a fair amount of dirt and old oil making them stick.

i added some after pictures to the album, still just an old Belgium gun, but its not a bad looking clunker.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=548
Unread 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice bird on the lock.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I handled a Pieper game gun, one rifle barrel and one shotgun, not long ago at a gun show. I liked it. It was quite light. Guy wanted $450 for it though, so I passed. I think it was 38/55 and 16 gauge...least that's what the fellow said it was. Hard tell'n tho.

I see them in the pages of Double Gun sometimes. I think they are okay...maybe a Chevy vise a Caddy.

I hear mixed things about Belgium guns, some great some not-so. I do know that most of our damascus barrels came from Belgium, more from them than from the English. If the barrels were excellent then I suspect many of their guns were too.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'd be happy to have it and I'd shoot the dickens out of it. I'd guess 1880ish. I think its neat.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #18
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
I'd be happy to have it and I'd shoot the dickens out of it. I'd guess 1880ish. I think its neat.
thanks Steve

1877 if I read it right

there is a mark that was used until 1877 - one that started in 1877 and no "NON POUR BALLE" as in "not for ball" in the tight left tube - and that started in 1878