Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

any clues on a H Pieper
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Default any clues on a H Pieper

stopped in a antique shop today, the guy gets a few sporting items in now and then.

this time there was a H Pieper. sidelock hammer gun with 28 inch damascus barrels, it was light enough I thought is was a 16, but turned out to be a 12.

the bore were not perfect, but pretty good, the damascus pattern showed through the patina. Very nice well figured wood with no damage. only the slightest bit of movement with the forend off

nice engraving- borders on the locks and pheasants in roundles behind the hammers. maybe a little under a GH in coverage

I know Pieper made a large variety in the quality of guns, including some low end stuff, this one seemed to be fairly well put together and good workmanship,

Of course the measuring tools which are almost always in the truck were not there today. So based on what I find out I may make a return trip. he'd take 225. not bad if its good to shoot.

if any one has the index to the double gun journals ( another need to get) have there been any articles on the maker and his grades?
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

from what i ve seen onand read on the guns they were fair to middleing gun sas you said some of them were made in the upper end in workmanship..the price is very good on this gun... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
fair to middleing
grew up hearing that phrase in the hills were I was born - when I say it - the city folks at the office get a puzzled look.

thanks Charlie - in the sense of buy the gun not the name - as someone here says, i think this won't embarrass the dogs, and my other hammer guns don't see rough territory or bad weather, wouldn't feel as bad with this one.
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

I have Piepers and they are wonderful guns. My friend and neighbor Lawrence, who has a baggo Piepers and knows a bit about them, posts on Dave Weber's forum, doublegunshop.com. Try that forum for more information.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

thanks Bill

i had posted on the double gun board as well, many views, no response.

i'll get back over this week and if its still there, check the bore size, chokes and wall thickness.

it's a nice looking gun i expect under priced, it would have come home then if it had turned out to be a 16.
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

If the Pieper speaks to you, why not buy it? A good gun is a good gun. And, for the price you quote, that's about three tanks of gas at today's prices. No doubt the Pieper will last longer than the petrol.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
If the Pieper speaks to you, why not buy it? A good gun is a good gun. And, for the price you quote, that's about three tanks of gas at today's prices. No doubt the Pieper will last longer than the petrol.
that is true John - the point was to find out if it is in fact, a good gun.

I'm not interested in something that would break down even as a bargin

and its more like four tanks here
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

$225--that's 2 tanks of gas in my truck--30 gal tank
Sounds like a neat gun, but like you I would try to find out some info.
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

ok - this time he put a bulb in the light- a little more engraving than I thought - but no roundels for the pheasants. I am blaming dirt and dim lighting, not aging eyes. No model name I can see.

The barrels ring well and have some good color - I was going to practice browning on it - but may just leave them alone for a while. the wood looks even better in the light, fairly straight stock, little drop and it fits me quite well. The bores are better than I thought- mostly dirty, a little very shallow pitting. only did a quick check with the gauges, found about 40 thousands as a minimum, very little choke in the right - very tight in the left.

6 3/4 pounds, with the dirt and grime on it.

Stopped at the club on the way home and fired a couple RST's - the primer marks were a little too deep, I noticed no spring action for the strikers, since those screws look untouched I am guessing the springs fell apart with age, so I'll stick some new ones in there.

not bad for a JABC

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=548
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Rick,
that looks like a real sweetheart, I don't think I could have passed that up either. the Damascus pattern still looks very nice, but yeah would really pop if redone.
Hope to see it and you at Hausmann,s in June.