Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Another D Grade Lifter
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Toothsmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Another D Grade Lifter

I bought this gun in 1997, had been looking for a high grade lifter for several years. Nearly walked past it at a gun show because it was virtually unrecognizable. The barrels and action had been polished and blued and the buttstock was in a plastic grocery bag. It had been shattered into 5 or 6 pieces through the head and wrist. Noticed the lifter button and stopped for a look. Had to fight with the seller to include the buttstock, he wanted to saw it up to make pistol grips. Told him I needed it to make a pattern stock. Remarkably it was all there except a small piece on the left side of the trigger plate and I was able to re-assemble and re-checker it. The left hammer and screw are not original to the gun but off a later D Grade lifter in the 12,000 serial number range. Though worn, the engraving scene on the trigger guard bow is clearly visible on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lifter parker 188.jpg (489.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 195.jpg (494.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 196.jpg (500.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 192.jpg (493.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (505.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 189.jpg (494.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 190.jpg (489.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 191.jpg (416.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (492.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 194.jpg (493.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 197.jpg (455.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 198.jpg (494.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (498.2 KB, 5 views)
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

You did a very nice job of putting that stock back together.

I especially like the setter and snipe on the left lock plate.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I lean toward the Pointer and the grouse. What a Great gun, I really like the 1/2 star on the fence or would it be better said "the side of the bolster"? Yes you did a wonderful job on the stock. best ch
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Beautiful gun Eric, nice job on that stock. I just love that ball grip. Who restored the receiver and barrels and what length are they?
Daryl
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great job on bringing her back to life, Eric! Very nice.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

this is what i like to see..taking abattered old gun that very few would look at must less take it home with them and turning it back to its former glory...nice job.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Eric, That is a wonderful gun. Tell us more about the restoration.
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Very nice. I take it you are a dentist, and the attention to detail shows.

I have previously posted many photos of high grade and well done hammer guns in this hammer gun section of the forum if you care to look. There is a D grade 20 ga top action hammer that was neglected and broken, a B grade 12 top action that was severely pitted then micro welded and a 16ga lifter with silver quarter moon inlay in the ball grip. You might find those interesting.

Bruce Day, unreformed Yankee Air Pirate
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Toothsmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good morning all, thank you for all the positive comments on this nice old gun. Personally I can't pick a favorite engraving scene, I like them all. I only wish the one on the trigger guard was in better condition, I don't recall ever seeing another retreiver on a Parker.

Bruce I'm not a dentist but a dental technician, the difference being that dentists repair teeth, I make new ones.

I don't think of what I did with this gun as restoration, rather resurrection since the only place I added finish was the repaired areas of the stock. Everything else was removal, just revealing what was hidden.

Glued the stock up in 97 while still on active duty stationed in San Diego. We moved back to Colorado in 03 and the effects of the dryer climate are evident in that all the glue lines are now raised, visible in the first photo of the right lock around the stock teardrop. Wood shrinks, Acraglas doesn't.
The spliced-in piece of wood is visible in the first photo extending from the dog's head to the rear of the bow. My first attempt at replacing missing wood, I've done better since. Re-checkered the stock while lying flat on my back awaiting lumbar disk surgery. Not my best work but I was heavily medicated for pain, and yes if you checker a stock laying on your back the sawdust does get in your eyes. Checkering around the ball grip is a real challenge as you're working with end grain and a tight complex curve. Hat off to the the guy that did it the first time.

I did the barrels and receiver myself. Many hours and a light touch with 320 and 400 grit wet/dry paper to remove the blueing then buffing with fine steel wool. Because of the texture of the damascus, a light touch left enough blueing behind to bring out the pattern. I think it also brought out the detail in the engraving. Fortunately whoever did the polishing was pretty carefull and little damage was done. The only places where the engraving looks "melted" is at the front end of the lock plates and the burst pattern above the left firing pin.

The barrels are 26" and appear uncut although the serialization book lists it with 30" originally. Bruce and I were discussing this in another thread and I'll attach a photo of the muzzles and solicit opinions. The right bore is .765 and the left .760 with 8 to 10 thousanths of constriction. The bores are lightly pitted and have been polished, .030 wall thickness at the thinnest. I'd feel safe to shoot it but not before straightening them out a little, some dents and irregualrities remain. I'd have already done this but I don't have a set of dent raising plugs big enough, mine only going to about .740.

The frame appears to be a 1 1/2 and the gun weighs approx 7.5lbs so its a fairly lightweight 12ga lifter.

Attached are a few more photos of the barrels. The right is struck with a D forward of the flats an a small 0 on the flats. Hard to see in the photo but the left is struck with a 5 just ahead of the flats. The barrel hook is struck with a small JS and the bottom of the lug has an S. The serial number is on the rear face of the lug. D for damascus I imagine, any thoughts on the rest? The elephant ivory bead was fabricated by me, the original brass one was sheared off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lifter parker 199.jpg (497.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 200.jpg (497.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg lifter parker 201.jpg (366.4 KB, 1 views)
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Differential re-browning and etching will provide greater steel/iron contrast, as with these G grade barrels:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GHE12%20034.jpg (88.9 KB, 133 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote