Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,159 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lien View Post
...How that recent Bruce comment and personal insult/attack to several people on another thread was allowed to stand when others were removed is still a mystery to me...
That would be a mystery to me as well - as only two people on the forum can "remove" posts.

I would be "one of them".

Jeff would be the "other one".

Best to you,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

Bruce is quick with the edit these days, particularly since Dunkle changed the edit function on here. *chuckles*

I've wished Bruce would actually exit for years now, but he seems to keep coming back. I remember the forum in it's pre-Day days when we actually had fun. Now everything is all Bruce all the time, every post every thread. Guess when you have hunting buddies in high places you get more latitude than others.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
I understand that the possibility of ring bulges exists in any barrels , particularly thinner barrels, if large diameter hard shot is used with tight chokes , regardless of the composition of the shot. I've seen ring bulges from lead and I'm sure they can occur with steel also.

I would not be surprised to learn that many Parker ring bulges resulted from lead buckshot loads.
Did you read my post ?............ I did not refer to large diameter shot or buckshot, it was number 6 shot through a light Mod barrel, yes he was new to vintage guns but was told by a friend that he could shoot steel maybe it was a one in hundred chance, but why take the chance...? And to put it on a public forum.... do what you want to your guns but don't be telling people it's ok and "no problem" and then they go out and buy some cheap steel shot loads the may damage thier gun.... what will you say to them then ?

Man I am tired of this discussion !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Barrels ring bulge or burst from all sorts of reasons not connected with shot material . I found the Roster article interesting and thought provoking. If people don't want to be thought provoked, don't even look at it.

My own personal experience with shooting steel shot from vintage guns is limited, but it is intriging. I've shot some small shot steel, 7 shot , and about a box of No. 6 from an IC bored 12ga Parker with thick barrels and many boxes of all sizes from my old Mod 1912 12ga with Mod choke and nickle steel barrel. I never noticed any problem, no erosion, no streaking, nothing different. When I heard what Roster was saying about he developed the sturdy shot cups for Remington that fully protected the barrel bore, it became more interesting. That's my experience, others may have different experiences and people will make their own decisions.

If a person is tired of the discussion and their headbone is hurting, well, you know, maybe they don't need to read it? Just saying that there are alternatives.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunkle View Post
That would be a mystery to me as well - as only two people on the forum can "remove" posts.

I would be "one of them".

Jeff would be the "other one".

Best to you,

John
=======================

Well John, You edited someone else's post calling it a personal attack, and then left Bruce's insulting Pigs & Skunks post to everyone reading the (Parker by Peter Johnson) thread to stand without edit... I guess you had your reasons....

Best To You, CSL
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

Roster also just said in an article that you couldn't shoot crows with lead shot anymore. Yeah, that's wrong too.....

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Barrels ring bulge or burst from all sorts of reasons not connected with shot material . I found the Roster article interesting and thought provoking. If people don't want to be thought provoked, don't even look at it.
Very true Bruce but if you had read my post, you may have read that it was #6 steel shot out of a light mod. choke, guess I can't spell it out any better then that.... Was it cheap shells probably with poor shot cup probably, but you come on here and state it is ok to shoot steel through any gun if the chokes are less then full choke and the gun is sound. Bad advice...!
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #28
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
=======================

Well John, You edited someone elses post calling it a personal attack, and then left Bruce's insulting post to everyone reading the thread to stand without edit... I guess you had your reasons....

Best To You, CSL

Can you show me the post where Bruce mounted a personal attack on Destry? If I missed it - I'll fix it...

Best to you,

John
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
=======================

Well John, You edited someone else's post calling it a personal attack, and then left Bruce's insulting Pigs & Skunks post to everyone reading the (Parker by Peter Johnson) thread to stand without edit... I guess you had your reasons....

Best To You, CSL

Make no mistake, Chris...

You said I "removed" posts? If I "remove posts" - I tell people why...

If I "edit" posts - I do so in public - and state "why" for all to see...

Careful of your stating how this forum is "Administered", fair enough?

Best to you,

John
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #30
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

I've always enjoyed Destry's hunting posts. I think he has a real touch for waterfowling and its history and I appreciate his love for traditional waterfowling and fowling guns.

And Chris, I have always admired your historic photo collection and believe that you two provide positive contributions to the PGCA.

Let me know if there is any way I can help either of you. I don't do much waterfowling, but I get some interesting fowling opportunities. Chris, I'm not a collector of old photos, but if I run across something significant, I'll connect you.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote