Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Interesting things you find on the course
Unread 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,227 Times in 1,200 Posts

Default Interesting things you find on the course

First one is an Eclipse shell box, all plastic shells (without a metal base) that were made in California in I believe the 80's. Good vintage stuff! Nice that Eclipse printed two load recipes using 700-X on the side of the box.

Second pic shows discarded paper hulls that were loaded with 1 ounce of 7-1/4 shot at 1395 speed. Must be marketed for the "speed kills" clays shooters, and although I load 7-shot for upland birds that 7-1/4 sizing is unusual. I had to fight against being intimidated while using my regular 1 ouncers with 7-1/2's at just 1150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post 1.jpg (272.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg post 2.jpg (226.7 KB, 2 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

A friend pf mine picked up an unfired 20 gauge shell on the clays course, and a few stations later absentmindedly inserted it in his gun, then figure he had forgotten to put a shell in his O/U. You know what happened. Gun blew up, but he was lucky that he suffered only minor injuries. He's a dentist and needs all his digits.
Unread 10-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

my first time to see this 7 1/4 load and it was pretty speedy too guess it was made for them fast birds....interesting anyway...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
terc
PGCA Member

Member Info

You're calling stuff made in the 80s vintage. It seems like last year. You're making me feel old.
Dave Tercek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tercek For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Frank, the 'Eclipse' shell description reminds me of the "Wanda" brand shells introduced in the (I think) 1970s. Hull was completely plastic, a semi-transparent burgundy color, so you could see all the internal components, almost like a cutaway sample shell. They weren't around too long and I don't know what became of the company/brand. They predated my reloading career by several years, so I never saved any of them.

The Bornaghi 'Discovery' pic and description reminds me of some of the shells the Italians, Spanish and Portuguese competitors used to bring over for the International Grand Prix shoot up at Ontelaunee Rod & Gun north of Allentown PA in the 1990s. The shot load was the only restriction specified in ammo (max. 7/8 oz.) by international rules. One brand they loved was the Melior "Meteor" (Italy).

One day between squads we set up a portable Oehler chronograph on a picnic table and using a gun rest tested a few rounds. All of them showed velocities in the 1405-10 range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (18.4 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by Kevin McCormack; 10-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: include picture
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Kevin, I believe that the International Trap and Skeet maximum shot load was one ounce when you started shooting the bunker. I'm not sure when we were mandated the 7/8 ounce maximum, but I think it was after you started your illustrious bunker career. The shells pictured above may have been intended for the bunker.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

Once while pheasant hunting I happened to look down and saw a blue paper high brass shell, I believe it was a Remington, with unusually ornate brass. The brass was decorated clearly by the factory of manufacture with the decoration stamped into the brass. It was marked 1 1/4 oz. on the paper of the hull. I have never seen one like it before or since.
Jerry Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Parise For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,770 Times in 2,351 Posts

Wanda Cartridge Company was in Manvel, Texas, a suburb of Houston from 1965 to 1972. I was still in college and shooting at the old Seattle Skeet & Trap Club at Redmond, WA, and the Wanda sales rep came by giving out sample boxes. Of course I shot the box I was given at trap (I was on the dark side at that time), but I saved one shell. Skip ahead to the middle 70s, and on one of my first trips to Kodiak, AK, I found a box of 20-gauge Wanda shells while walking by the edge of the old Kodiak dump to get down to the beach. I took them back to Elmendorf AFB and shot them up at skeet at the Chugach Rod & Gun Club next door at Ft. Rich. Pictures from a recent Ward's Auction --

20-gauge, 1 ounce.jpg

12-gauge, 1 1-4 ounce.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

When I was a kid, my dad decided for himself that Wanda shells were the thing of the future. At that time, he was loading Alcan paper hulls, and had purchased a right hand 1100 (new on the market then), although Dad was left handed. Paper hulls were going the way of the dinosaur then, and functioned sporadically in the 1100. Dad thought the uniformity of the Wanda shells would be the answer! He bought a few cases, and also the reloading components offered by Wanda, that included a big box of the little plastic conical "crimp inserts" that served as the case closure. Wanda also provided instruction for modifying popular loaders of the day to reload the shells, which in part meant diabling the sizing function.

The plan worked fine on new shells, they worked flawlessly in that 1100. The plan failed though shooting the Wanda reloads in the auto. Twice I remember Dad having to pick pieces of red hard plastic from his cheek and forehead from shells that shattered upon ejection. If I recall, the demise of Wanda was a flurry of lawsuits stemming from case failure.
Unread 10-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

I Wanda why they quite making them