Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

#6 frame 10s
Unread 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #31
Alan B. Webber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default #6 frame 10s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Some early #6 frame tens were originally eights. They were rebarreled when eight gauges were outlawed for migratory birds. What auction was the $1800 #6 frame sold? With a serial number, we can tell you if it was originally an eight or a ten. My #6 frame ten was rebarreled in fluid steel, was originally an eight. I overpaid substantially for that gun, but "Just had to have it." It has a very interesting history as the gamegetter for a Nebraska family who lived off the land from pioneer days.
"Just had to have it" is the right phrase alright. I bought a d grade #6 frame 10 hammerless many years ago then lucked out and found another d grade #6 frame 10 hammer gun. I paid too much for both of them.
After a lot of Turnbull rehab, I take them to Canada for ducks and geese and shoot brass shells with BP in them.1325 ft per sec with a 1 and one quarter oz of bismuth. I've since backed off on the powder after chronographing the load.
The brass shells were deforming a bit at the base and there's no resizing those things.
Both guns are great fun on pigeons also.
Each one is Damascus and weigh about 14 lbs each. 36 and 34 inch barrels.
The RST smokeless loads are great to shoot also.
Of all the Parkers I have they are the most fun to shoot.
Never pass one up no matter what shape it's in. I think they're all pretty rare. One really fun and satisfying thing to do is get a gun like that shooting again.
The guy at Cabelas that sold me the hammerless one for 4K said it would be a great wall hanger. I told him there's no way it's going to hang on any wall.
Thanks,
Alan B. Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan B. Webber For Your Post:
Unread 08-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #32
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

alan i too enjoy shooting them big frame guns i have one 8 ga that is a 7 frame lifter 2 hammer lever 8 ga parkers that are 6 frames....i shoot my 3 frame 10 gas a lot wish i had a big 6 frame in 10 ga....have a no 3 frame 12 ga parker i shoot a lot...hope you have a good season....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #33
Alan B. Webber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie,
Where do get 8 Ga cases? Can you get them already loaded?
Shooting an 8 ga #7 frame would be awesome.
On the other side of the scale I shot my Trojan 20 ga at doves this morning in the CA Central Valley.
I've been shooting that since I was 12. First gun I ever owned.
Alan B. Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #34
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B. Webber View Post
Charlie,
Where do get 8 Ga cases? Can you get them already loaded?
Shooting an 8 ga #7 frame would be awesome.
On the other side of the scale I shot my Trojan 20 ga at doves this morning in the CA Central Valley.
I've been shooting that since I was 12. First gun I ever owned.
Precision Reloading sells 8 ga industrial hulls that you have to resize .
RST is going to start selling loaded 8 ga ammo in the future . I talked to them about a month ago . They were in the pressure testing stage .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #35
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
alan i too enjoy shooting them big frame guns i have one 8 ga that is a 7 frame lifter 2 hammer lever 8 ga parkers that are 6 frames....i shoot my 3 frame 10 gas a lot wish i had a big 6 frame in 10 ga....have a no 3 frame 12 ga parker i shoot a lot...hope you have a good season....charlie
Charlie I seen a Davenport 8 ga pop up on GI . Wasnt even listed for 2 days and was gone .
Unread 09-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

A few years ago, eight gauge Davenports were plentiful and very cheap. Now they are scarce as hen's teeth and very expensive. I bought mine at a Virginia show a few years ago, came back the next day to buy the dealer's stash of eight gauge ammunition and it was long gone. I probably got the gun just in time.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #37
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
A few years ago, eight gauge Davenports were plentiful and very cheap. Now they are scarce as hen's teeth and very expensive. I bought mine at a Virginia show a few years ago, came back the next day to buy the dealer's stash of eight gauge ammunition and it was long gone. I probably got the gun just in time.
seems they usually sell for around 1500$ which is what that one on GI sold for . I remember seeing a thread on another site . A fellow bought a sawed off 8 ga Davenport with some loaded industrial ammo that would chamber it in . He planned to shoot it like that .... Wonder how that turned out .

I have seen some Davenport and H Allen 10 gauges but they seem to only sell for a fraction of the 8 gauges . From what ive gathered the Allen guns are the same as the Davenports .

The Davenports seem pretty light for a 8 gauge all the ones I have seen are around 10lbs . Their barrels are pretty thick one I seen had .120 minimal wall thickness .
Unread 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #38
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

my davenport 8 ga has 36 inch barrel the wight of it is 12 1/2 lbs...barrel is like you say very thick....a few of these old davenports had 40 inch barrels on them...wish mine were 40 inch 48 inch would be better.....my old gun has a 4 inch chamber in it maybe someday i will get some brass shellls this length made for it...i have a 3 3/4 inch brass shell i load up sometimes and shoot....its a hoot.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #39
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
my davenport 8 ga has 36 inch barrel the wight of it is 12 1/2 lbs...barrel is like you say very thick....a few of these old davenports had 40 inch barrels on them...wish mine were 40 inch 48 inch would be better.....my old gun has a 4 inch chamber in it maybe someday i will get some brass shellls this length made for it...i have a 3 3/4 inch brass shell i load up sometimes and shoot....its a hoot.....charlie
Thats a heavy Davenport , ive only seen 3 of them for sale though and they weighed in the 10lb range . Though the sellers could be guessing at the weight of them . I cant see how a 8 ga barrel with .120 minimal wall thickness at 36" long would weigh only 10lbs haha . My 10 gauge h&r i used to have weighed that much with a 24" barrel .

Charlie I seen a EM Reilly 8 ga double with 45" barrels at a English auction last month . It looked pretty crazy with barrels that long . You could always have a 45" 8 ga barrel fitted to your Davenport . Rice makes them up to 45" .

Theres a company called Robinson brass I believe that can make 8 ga brass but you have to order 50 cases .
Unread 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

Rocky Mountain Cartridge talks about going out of business, but they still list eight gauge cases in all lengths. I haven't used my RMC cases because I haven't worn out my paper and plastic cases yet. To be honest, I haven't loaded any eights for a while. Watch the obituaries and your problems will be solved.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote