Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #31
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tarnation, yes on the room. So I can be labeled as deeply afflicted. At the HOF dinner a couple of years ago, Art W. asked me if I had a lot of Parkers. Since the Pretty Wife was sitting between us I had to refrain from answering and asked Art back what constituted 'a lot." He said 200. So now we know where to draw the line on a lot of Parkers.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

A true affliction might go beyond a lot and move into the realm of a plethora of Parkers. But that’s a ten dollar word not much used in regular jawin’ How about a profusion of Parkers when one secured room is no longer enough. Oh my!
Unread 06-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #33
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,344 Times in 4,421 Posts

Another thing that is particularly true for those of us that shoot our Parkers is the memories associated with particular guns. I have a few that I would probably sell to improve my collection, but which bring memories of particular hunts
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #34
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I still have my first graded small bore, a DHE 20 straight grip 26 inch barrels and open chokes. I bought it at Cabelas (before I knew better) in Owatano MN on my way to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs. I learned to shoot double triggers with that gun. I have another DHE 20 the first high condition gun I ever bought this has all the options 30 inch vent rib straight grip BTF and the early Miller trigger. I got it from Steve Barnett at the first Parker/Smith challenge. There are guns that are special regardless of gauge, grade or condition then there is one that tugs at the heart strings every time I take it out.......Gunner's Gun.

My Grandfather was a Parker shooter and had as the family story goes he had an A1 special trap gun. When he died he wanted it gifted to a friend and his wishes were carried out. I'll continue that tradition with Gunner's Gun. Hopefully it will become a cornerstone in his collection.
Unread 06-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #35
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,424 Times in 686 Posts

Exemplary gun examples and Great Collections, shown and discussed here, is heady stuff. Josh provides additional insight into that rarified world, of which I just see a slice of from time-to-time, at a show, a shoot or an event, i.e., PGCA Annual Meeting or Parker Gun Foundation Hall of Fame Annual Awards Dinner.

I am reminded of what one man (who should know) told me a few years back: that “The top 50 collectors don’t go on line at all”.
Unread 06-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #36
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,593 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post

I am reminded of what one man (who should know) told me a few years back: that “The top 50 collectors don’t go on line at all”.
Well, I am an example of the "bottom" 50 collectors, and I am on line. And like you, Russell, I enjoy seeing what the top 50 might buy at auctions, etc.

I am quite happy to own a few...and shoot them all.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #37
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,424 Times in 686 Posts

Heck, it would be gross chutzpah for me to say I even make the bottom 50.

No, I’m not a real gun collector. I just get mistaken for one at the auction previews.
Unread 06-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Well, I am an example of the "bottom" 50 collectors, and I am on line. And like you, Russell, I enjoy seeing what the top 50 might buy at auctions, etc.

I am quite happy to own a few...and shoot them all.
Regardless of top fifty or bottom fifty to paraphrase Popeye the Sailor Man “I am what I am!”
Unread 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post

My Grandfather was a Parker shooter and had as the family story goes he had an A1 special trap gun. When he died he wanted it gifted to a friend and his wishes were carried out. I'll continue that tradition with Gunner's Gun. Hopefully it will become a cornerstone in his collection.
I kinda have a similar tale (of woe). My pop has always said my paternal grandfather had a pair of Parker’s that he supposedly ordered once upon a time . One was for skeet and the other for trap dunno grades or if the trap gun was a double or single . And strangely he had a Fox (again don’t know the grade) for feathered birds IE quail . It’s assumed all three were 12 gauge . Anyway they disappeared during or right after the depression . Wish I could of atleast known what they were much less acquire them !
Unread 06-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #40
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Being a fool for a flushing bird, my taste in Parkers is what you need or think you need to kill a quail, sharptail,pheasant or any bird you are hunting. When duck or dove hunting a heavier gun is fine because you are sitting and waiting for the bird to fly to you. So 3 frame 10s are welcome since you are not walking miles each day. I gave up ducks but had much rather go on good dove shoot than kill a deer.To me, any bird gun works for doves. I shoot 2 frame CHE 12 with 2 1/2 inch 7s choked improved and full a lot but this year I plan to use a new to me DHE 20 with 30 inch barrels choked improved and mod.But, when it comes to walking behind pointing or flushing dogs ( I have a Boykin) I want a 16. LOVE 16s. light so you can carry all day but will kill any flushing bird that I have hunted. First was a GH 16 2 1/2 choked improved and full. I call it my prairie grouse gun. Let those sharptails or chickens flush at 30 yards and that full barrel comes into play. My other 16 is a DHE two barrel set with 32 inch full and full ( that I hope to kill a turkey with before I die ) and 28 choked improved and mod. used on quail and pheasants. I have a 1 1/2 frame PH 12 with twist barrels, my first Parker and the one that got me hooked. this gun has killed lots of birds and is joy to look at since it cost $47.50 when the PH cost $27.50 ( by the Parker letter) the extra cost was because of the wood. My guns must be balanced and fit me. Too short a stock or to much drop at the heel will not work. If the gun ( is knockout at a fair price ) does not halfway fit I am not going to shoot it well so why buy it ?. I am the same way about ugly guns or woman. I do not want deal with them. I think that those flat black guns with black PVC stocks work and may kill the bird but they have no soul. They are just like the shopping centers most of them come out of. After chasing and shooting birds for over 50 years, I have come to the conclusion that the third shot out of a auto or pump gun is used mainly out of flustration therefore all anyone needs is a gun with 2 barrels and it is a well know fact that gentlemen shoot side by sides.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post: